Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A return ticket from Norwich to Newcastle is about £177! I need to be able to get up to Edinburgh from Norwich at Christmas, but I really don't want to pay such a ridiculous amount of money for my train fare. Is there anywhere I can get reduced price tickets? I'm still at sixth form, so I'm not sure if I can get a discount or not. Do you think it's possibly cheaper to just fly or go by bus? (though I would rather not go by bus-very long and uncomfortable!)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Try to travel off peak. Also, see if it's cheaper to split it into sections rather than do one long journey. If you have to change it can be a lot cheaper that way.

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't cost that much at all, somthing is clearly wrong, it costs me £15 to get from Brighton to Manchester.

Have you looked at www.thetrainline.com? I really cannot understand where you got that figure from unless its first class and a meal with the queen.

ReputationRep:
    There Is No Such Thing!!!

ReputationRep:
    book now! lol the earlier you book... if online, the cheaper the ticket is

ReputationRep:
    You can choose an option when booking on the internet to go as cheaply as possible. I.e. if you don't care what time you go, don't travel on a friday and have about 10 changes

Ok, slight exaggeration with 10, but hey, you catch my drift.

ReputationRep:
    Book early and get a rail card if you haven't already got one.

ReputationRep:
    It may well be worth looking into flying from Stansted, if you're in Norwich.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Yup - if you're in 6th form, you should be able to get a "Young Person's Railcard" - they're available to all 16-25 year olds, and cost a mere £20 (very economical).

If you go to a staffed station, they'll have leaflets - if there aren't any near by, you can order them from the website (http://www.youngpersons-railcard.co.uk/)

ReputationRep:
    Or open a bank account with Natwest and you get one free

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone! I'm definitely going to get a young person's card.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.