I'm a new driver, should I buy an automatic car just to get me from A - B....?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
markyp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm not too bothered about driving to be honest, if I could, I wouldn't bother driving. But considering I live in a rural area, and the only means of transport is the bus, I think it may be more practical to start driving. I was thinking of getting an automatic car, because I have driven in a manual before and to be honest, I don't really like it, especially when it stalls. Anyway, how much more would an automatic car cost me? And, would insurance cost me the same as a teenager, I'm 22 years old?
aarora
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Automatic cars are usually more expensive BUT I find manual cars more difficult to drive and consider them to be such an effort. I'd deffo go for an automatic if you can afford it.
markyp
Rep:
?
(Original post by aarora)
Automatic cars are usually more expensive BUT I find manual cars more difficult to drive and consider them to be such an effort. I'd deffo go for an automatic if you can afford it.
Well my dad said he would put some money towards a car with me, so in that sense I'm fortunate. I obviously don't want anything too expensive, just a little run around.
rY4uGD1fMzBj4xe2
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
No, you should man the **** up and learn to drive a real car.

Leave the automatics to the American's.
Elfy1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You're the one that would be driving it, it's up to you I prefer automatics, but then you need to be careful with solely driving a manual car because it's easy to forget how to drive a manual- so go ahead, buy the automatic, but get lots of practise in manual cars too
Einheri
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you want to be mocked by everyone who finds out that you drive an automatic, then yes. Seriously, manuals give you so much more control and versatility while driving, and when you want to sell you have more of a market (no-one wants automatics, very unpopular in Europe - Yanks are just really lazy). Honestly, if you pass an automatic test I still wouldn't consider you a driver - it's like getting your AS certificates and claiming that you have A-Levels.
Great Lord Xenu
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ritchie888)
Seconded.
dkuni
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't go for an automatic for your first car; you'd be much better off learning how to drive a manual first. If you can drive manual you can drive automatic, the same is not true vice versa. And no **** you "didn't really like it", if you haven't learned to drive yet you really don't know how well you like it, it takes time to get used to. And you won't be stalling once you're driving.

Don't be such a pussy and learn how to drive (i.e, manual) before you make the decision of whether to go automatic or manual. And then go manual because it's cheaper to buy and run, more control, and you'll feel somehow "limited" in an automatic once you can actually drive.
bognor-regis
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Manual's are easier and a better option. And if you do your test in an automatic you will only be allowed to drive an automatic.
M1F2R3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just get a ****ing manual, auto is for lazy Americans.
FXX
Report 9 years ago
I think you should learn to make up your own mind.
tieyourmotherdown
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you really don't like manuals then go for it I suppose, but one thing I would say is that I used to find driving a manual really difficult and then one day it just clicked and I'd never consider driving an automatic.

Manuals do take a bit of getting used to but honestly if you can, I would just drive a manual. They give you far more control, and to be honest if you live in the country surrounded by bendy country roads, a manual is probably more better.
T-Hill
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In my opinion, people that drive automatics are usually worse drivers by far. All they have to do is brake and accelerate, meaning they are more likely to switch off and lose concentration. With a manual however, you're concentrating on changing gears etc, so you're concentrating the whole time.
Also, if you pass your test in a automatic car, you can only drive automatics. If you pass in a manual, you can drive in either.
markyp
Rep:
?
(Original post by ritchie888)

Leave the automatics to the American's.
It's also called technology and simplicity. There wouldn't be a market for automatics if everyone drove manuals, would there?
un-besito
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Go with whatever you're comfortable with - I don't understand why people are being so rude! Who cares if people don't 'consider you a real driver' - you're not getting the car in order to be praised and worshipped by fellow drivers for your 'manly' driving skills - as you said, you just want to get from A to B so if an automatic can give you that and you're more confident in it, go for it.
munn
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
After a few weeks/months of driving a manual it's second nature. Just do it
BuzzLightyear
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't see why people are so against automatics, they're not just for lazy people, some people struggle with the coordination needed for manuals, could even be disabled or simply don't enjoy driving and want it to be as easy as possible. You are no less a man for driving auto, my dad has an M3 that is auto, hardly a girly car!

Think of it this way, if autos were the first cars invented and someone said I've come with an idea of adding in an extra peddle and making you do all the work instead of letting the car do it... Doubt it would of caught on.

If you only want to get from A-B, don't like driving etc go for the auto.. they don't cost too much more, insurance will be exactly the same but the fuel consumption is slightly lower than manual counter parts.
markyp
Rep:
?
I think everyone is taking it out of context. I am willing to pass my test in a manual, just so I can drive both, but I would much rather drive an automatic through simplicity and ease of it.
markyp
Rep:
?
At the end of the day I kind of need to drive because of where I'm situated, but I would much rather not drive as I know the damage it does to the environment.
un-besito
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by markyp)
I think everyone is taking it out of context. I am willing to pass my test in a manual, just so I can drive both, but I would much rather drive an automatic through simplicity and ease of it.
Exactly - so drive an automatic
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (91)
27.91%
No - I have already returned home (43)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
19.02%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
9.82%
No - I live at home during term anyway (98)
30.06%

Watched Threads