Limitations of procedures in experiments Watch

emzaz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Limitations of procedures in experiments
I was wondering what exactly is meant by "limitations" here. I understand that conclusions can be limited in their accuracy by the accuracy of the data they're based on but I'm not sure what I should be including for limitations of the procedures. The main procedures in my experiment were titrations and standard solutions.

I searched some threads asking a similar thing in the past but they mainly seem to suggest things like uncertainty and making sure you read the scale from the bottom of the meniscus but I don't think that's the sort of thing it means.

Basically what is meant by "limitations" in this context?

Thanks in advance!

emzaz
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by emzaz)
Limitations of procedures in experiments
I was wondering what exactly is meant by "limitations" here. I understand that conclusions can be limited in their accuracy by the accuracy of the data they're based on but I'm not sure what I should be including for limitations of the procedures. The main procedures in my experiment were titrations and standard solutions.

I searched some threads asking a similar thing in the past but they mainly seem to suggest things like uncertainty and making sure you read the scale from the bottom of the meniscus but I don't think that's the sort of thing it means.

Basically what is meant by "limitations" in this context?

Thanks in advance!

emzaz
Limitations just means to what extent the procedures can be applied and how accurate they are.

Titrations can only be used if the actual object of analysis reacts with something appropriately and is indicable. However, in reality there are many ingenious ways to apply titration for analysis (back titration, conductimetric etc)

Another issue is the concentration. It must be within certain limits. This isn't a problem for solutions that are too concentrated as they can be diluted before analysis, but for very weak solutions it can be a problem.

In terms of precision, you should appreciate that the inherent apparatus and procedure limits the degree of accuracy. How close can you get to the 'right' answer? How reproducible (precise) is the methodology?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (35)
25.18%
No (104)
74.82%

Watched Threads