Turn on thread page Beta

speed limit watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zooropa)
    No, I don't believe in speed limits.

Speeding is only wrong because speeding potentially harms someone.
    Without speed limits, you're completely relying on the common sense of everyone around you, and as you all know; common sense isn't too common.

The idea of potentially harming someone is pretty serious if you think about it. If you aimed a gun at someones head and pulled the trigger, but you missed or the gun didn't work etc, do you think you should not be fined?

It's so easy to kill someone by speeding that it makes complete sense to enforce a limit. And to some extent, cameras work. They're not perfect and hardly anyone is a fan of them, but they put them (usually) in places where there have been a high number of road accidents due to speeding. They're designed more has precaution than money making, yet they do make A LOT of money. But think about it, if they only wanted to make money, they wouldn't paint them HUGE YELLOW boxes which reflect half a mile down the road. They want you to know they're there so that you'll slow down. If they wanted money, you wouldn't even know where they were to slow down.

We all know where are local speed cameras are and we know to slow down around them. I'm no saint, I speed often, but I know where the cameras are and I play the game. It is true that speed related accidents have nearly stopped completey around them, it's only the idiots that slam on their brakes from 80 down to 50, and the morons that are driving too close behind them that cause accidents, and even that isn't very common.

there was a camera put on a road near me. one of the first in the town i live. only accident i know of was some kid got killed by a bus or summit. and AFAIK, speeding wasnt even a factor

ReputationRep:
    Ive not driven for a while since going to uni I dont really fancy taking my car to London. But when I was driving I felt that driving slowly is really frustrating! On dual carriageways and such like 70mph is perfectly safe if weather conditions are good. 50 is just too slow and may result in more accidents due to drivers getting p*ssed off!

ReputationRep:
    the 70mph limit though was created in the 60s ( might be slightly out have to check) but when most cars could only just reach 70mph. There were no airbags, crumple zones, ABS, decent tyres (compared to those now) and many of the other safety features that are now taken for grated. Personally i think that considering the amount cars have improved the speed limit should be increased (obviously not in this particular siuation) but generally. Its ridiculous having a limit that was created for 60s cars and which hasnt been altered as cars have improveed.

ReputationRep:
    Motorway speed should be at least 80-85. I know people will speed even higher than that, but todays cars can easily handle that.

ReputationRep:
    Its ridiculous having a limit that was created for 60s cars and which hasnt been altered as cars have improveed.
    Almost all cars can handle that. If its 70 and most people are doing 80-90, if its 80 people are going to be going over 100

motorway speed should be increase to 90 with NO speeding tolerence(and maybe even speed cameras to enforce this). 90 is fast enough, and people doin more than that are a danger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidAngel)
    motorway speed should be increase to 90 with NO speeding tolerence(and maybe even speed cameras to enforce this). 90 is fast enough, and people doin more than that are a danger.
    90 is only dangerous because of the silly **** at the front of the queue of traffic driving at 60 and slowing everyone else down.

(Original post by Kingspharm)
    90 is only dangerous because of the silly **** at the front of the queue of traffic driving at 60 and slowing everyone else down.
    cant remember the figures, but accidents are more likely summit like 10 times more likely if your goin 15MPH slower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zooropa)
    No, I don't believe in speed limits.

Speeding is only wrong because speeding potentially harms someone.
    So I could fire a gun into a crowd, and if I don't kill anyone it would be ok.

Or if I threw a baby off a tower and it somehow survived unscathed, massively against the odds, that would be ok.

Being irresponsible or negligent is a crime. Speeding falls into the same catagories as the above scenarios.

(Original post by Carl)
    So I could fire a gun into a crowd, and if I don't kill anyone it would be ok.

Or if I threw a baby off a tower and it somehow survived unscathed, massively against the odds, that would be ok.

Being irresponsible or negligent is a crime. Speeding falls into the same catagories as the above scenarios.
    but... whats speeding?goin by your throwing baby off tower theory.... you either do it or you dont. if you dont, nothin happens. if you do throw baby, chances are injury. so, technically, your commited a crime as soon as you move, because you *could* cause an accident. even if doin 1MPH

and what about the smokers? lock them up for smokin, because their smoke *could* cause a kid nearby to have an asthma attack?

ReputationRep:
    but... whats speeding?goin by your throwing baby off tower theory.... you either do it or you dont. if you dont, nothin happens. if you do throw baby, chances are injury. so, technically, your commited a crime as soon as you move, because you *could* cause an accident. even if doin 1MPH
    Fair point, but even still speed limits are there for a reason. I think 30 limits at schools and 50 at roadworks are justified, but agree mway limits should be higher. My mum and I averaged 120 mph across France to get to Bdx.

and what about the smokers? lock them up for smokin, because their smoke *could* cause a kid nearby to have an asthma attack?
    Well in an ideal world no-one could smoke.....but thats another debate.

(Original post by Carl)
    I think 30 limits at schools and 50 at roadworks are justified,
    so do i. but reducing the speed limit from 70 to 50 when no work is bein done is just ridiculas. and its actually makin the road more dangerous

ReputationRep:
    there is a busy dual carriageway near me which is havin roadworks done for a few month. due to this, the speed is reduced from 70 to 50 (this i have no problem with, after all, i wouldnt like to be workin with cars racin past at 70 only metres from me).

BUT: its night works. during the day, the only sign of roadworks is the cones to the side of the road. and the speed limit is still 50. why? so they (police/government) can park a talivan in the middle and get more money.

so, since there is no work bein done in the day what should the speed limit be?

poll comin

and whatever you vote, say why
    I think with the pole you need to say on what roads.- it'd be ludicrous to say 70 mph on a little country lane, however i'd push for a 70 limit rather than 50 on a dual carriadge way- though i dunno what it is currently on a dual carriadge way

(Original post by rich_)
    I think with the pole you need to say on what roads.- it'd be ludicrous to say 70 mph on a little country lane, however i'd push for a 70 limit rather than 50 on a dual carriadge way- though i dunno what it is currently on a dual carriadge way
    the poll is about the (reduced) speed limit on the road i talked about. there is no need for it. the only reason its 50 and not 70 is so they can park a talivan in the middle and make more money. **** safety (its actually made a lot more near misses with people panic brakin), aslong as there gettin money

ReputationRep:
    I like the way they call them 'Safety Cameras' as well. What a load of arse. ****ing Police cash-points more like...

(Original post by Kingspharm)
    I like the way they call them 'Safety Cameras' as well. What a load of arse. ****ing Police cash-points more like...
    safety is an understatment. more like 'accident starters'. 1 police force has even removed cameras because they increase accidents. but whats gonna happen to the rest? nothin. they dont want to lose £180 million per year now, do they.

from now on, everyone who gets a NIP should take it to court. infact, next monday, everyone should speed thru a camera. and then take it to court. shame there wouldnt be enough resources to take everyone to court, so they'd have to let off most people

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.