This discussion is closed.
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Does anyone often find themselves deliberately entering conversations where they know they are way out of their depth, yet with the humble intention of learning? I know I do it, and more recently an argument on the sweatshop industry. However, I'm just curious as to whether or not others make the same leap in search of knowledge and experience. Granted people can find themselves overwhelmed by a person in an argument, which is entirely unexpected and leads to a hasty retreat. It dosen't make you feel all that happy, so why do it deliberately?
tessie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Does anyone often find themselves deliberately entering conversations where they know they are way out of their depth, yet with the humble intention of learning? I know I do it, and more recently an argument on the sweatshop industry. However, I'm just curious as to whether or not others make the same leap in search of knowledge and experience. Granted people can find themselves overwhelmed by a person in an argument, which is entirely unexpected and leads to a hasty retreat. It dosen't make you feel all that happy, so why do it deliberately?
yes i do it all the time
im a very argumentative person and ive found when arguing it doesnt matter whether u know anything about a topic as long as u sound as if u do. i once had to do a debate about boxing (something i know nothing about) i did minimum research and still won cos the other person had no confidence. have confidence and ud be suprised how any arguments u can win.
sometimes i do it for learning and sometimes just cos i feel like it.
snow_white
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
undoubtably one of my better weeknesses, i too find it uhh educational to do so, especially with a certain friend of mine who has by far a greater knowlegde of the world than i. so i find it a constant enjoyment to enter into an argument i know absolutely nothing about with the slight chance of furthering my knowlegde, risky but entertaining, he knows i do it i think which makes it more interesting for both parties as he then talks text book to me. i have no idea why i do it, i guess i just like listening to him, argueing probably more so. i gain experience and knowlegde so it doesn't really matter to me if i didn't know in the first place.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads