American High School tests/exams (ACTs/SATs) vs A levels? Watch

humbugsftw
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Probably been done before. And yes it's a stupid question. But I am genuinely wondering which of the two is more difficult..

So, which school system is said to be more difficult? The American school system, and their tests or exams, or the British school system, with GCSEs, and A levels?
And if you have an answer, say why you say what you said.
Caustica
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
ACTs and SATs are much easier than A Level; the 'equivalent' of an A Level in the US is AP. However, AP is basically one exam for each subject, and does not contain any coursework; thus A Level is more rigorous.
kpusa1981
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
AP Courses are all coursework/Exams like all high school courses in the USA. However, the coursework (the coursework is manly only homework{preps}) marked by the teachers. I will agree that A-levels may very well be more rigorous.
humbugsftw
Rep:
?
I see. Thank you for your responses Purely asking out of curiosity from people who know both systems.
Paul Jerret
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It’s not easy to say which school system is more difficult. I think it all depends on your approach. If you are based in the United Kingdom, then certainly you will find the A levels easier. But then the SATs have their share of rules and regulations that many students find difficult to hurdle. Although there are multiple-choice questions, they are all content-based. That means you must know your material. The penalty for wrong answers is another aspect that rattles students. At the moment, I’m busy preparing for my SAT. I find it difficult, but not impossible, to score high on the test. Shmoop has some great SAT Prep material that I’ve found very useful in my study program. Their reviews of all the topics combine learning with fun. I actually enjoy what I’m learning! I’m already improving my scores on their mock tests!
humbugsftw
Rep:
?
Thank you very much!
Anyone else care to make a contribution?
bregaied
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hi can someone also answer my question , that would be wonderful.
If you dont do Alevels but if you take SAT 1 and 2
will that be okay , and since i wanted to go to the USA will they take me
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
^ Yes, that is fine. You must take SAT I and II.

American high school exams are easier. I do international A levels and I've taken the ACT and some AP subjects and I can safely tell you that the American exams are way easier.
bregaied
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 082349)
^ Yes, that is fine. You must take SAT I and II.

American high school exams are easier. I do international A levels and I've taken the ACT and some AP subjects and I can safely tell you that the American exams are way easier.
that is really correct they are easier , well what about the GED , since i was in school unitl IGCSE's then got out because of the A levels and staring studying it privetly , but got miserable grades on A level , so if i do GED will that be okay
laurabowden5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's true; I'm currently in Year 11 and are halfway through my GCSE's and are due to take A-Levels in sixth form at my current school. It's even more stressful because as well as affecting your future and your chances of getting the job you want, there's so much competition to get 5 or more A* to C's than anybody else, and also to get the required grades in order to be accepted into the sixth form. A sixth former in my form told that GCSE's are a breeze compared to A-Level, though.... D:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%