Turn on thread page Beta

New London transport fares announced watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    *pets her trusty Oyster card*

I think it's disgusting.They drive us off the roads with £8 a DAY congestion charge.Then they raise the fares of the buses and tubes....which are overcrowded and smelly...I can't believe they are charging more for people to have to experience that day in day out!

ReputationRep:
    Bikes FTW

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Before you go ****ging it off, please notice that travel on buses and trams is free for under 16s already, and from next year it will be free for under 18s. This is to benefit you.
    And getting an oyster card has many benefits. Including cheaper travel.

ReputationRep:
    I go sucky sucky for Oyster Card

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessicarabbit)
    I go sucky sucky for Oyster Card
    Welcome back.

ReputationRep:
    So he's making it free for the young and old, forcing the actual tax payers to not only pay the actual tax to make this possible, but also have to pay more themselves just for the pleasure of getting to their place of work so they can pay MORE tax? Thanks, Ken!

And what's more is you either drive in a pay more than you did 4 years ago, or get public transport and pay considerably more than you did 4 years ago. He's forcing people out of their cars and onto public transport, allowing him to effectively charge anything less than £8 since he knows people have no choice. Yet he's offering discounts to "bulk buying" the congestion charge - so is he really trying to cut congestion? By making it cheaper to drive MORE? And 'punishing' those who take the "greener" option of public transport by charging them more? Thanks, Ken!

I heard he's also starting a policy where everyone has to grovel at his feet and then give him a blow job before they're allowed into London. This physical act (of proving you're his *****) will replace your current financial acts (of getting routinely hammered in the arse by his prices) as form of payment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    Bikes FTW
    Yes.Cycle if you want to be killed/hated by every driver in London!Even though there are cycle lanes,drivers still hate you!

ReputationRep:
    And 'punishing' those who take the "greener" option of public transport by charging them more? Thanks, Ken!
    Oyster card, Dan, Oyster.

Last time I checked Sutton wasn't in the congestion zone. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    So he's making it free for the young and old, forcing the actual tax payers to not only pay the actual tax to make this possible, but also have to pay more themselves just for the pleasure of getting to their place of work so they can pay MORE tax? Thanks, Ken!

And what's more is you either drive in a pay more than you did 4 years ago, or get public transport and pay considerably more than you did 4 years ago. He's forcing people out of their cars and onto public transport, allowing him to effectively charge anything less than £8 since he knows people have no choice. Yet he's offering discounts to "bulk buying" the congestion charge - so is he really trying to cut congestion? By making it cheaper to drive MORE? And 'punishing' those who take the "greener" option of public transport by charging them more? Thanks, Ken!

I heard he's also starting a policy where everyone has to grovel at his feet and then give him a blow job before they're allowed into London. This physical act (of proving you're his *****) will replace your current financial acts (of getting routinely hammered in the arse by his prices) as form of payment.
    I don't see why the hell kids should get it free-they'd just get the money for it from their parents!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    Oyster card, Dan, Oyster.

Last time I checked Sutton wasn't in the congestion zone. :p:
    If my only option other than to get metaphorically raped is to have to carry yet another card after giving the government yet more information they don't need just to make their work easier, all the while i pay more, then i think i'll cycle, thanks.

Again, Socco, we come back to the good old problem of not always arguing for your own selfish reasons. I rarely go to London (though my local transport is TfL, so i will have to pay these bus/tube prices). That doesn't make what he's doing right.

ReputationRep:
    If my only option other than to get metaphorically raped is to have to carry yet another card after giving the government yet more information they don't need just to make their work easier, all the while i pay more, then i think i'll cycle, thanks.
    Oyster card requires your name and address. Thats it. IMO, its worth it for the convience and the cheap price. Oyster prices are going DOWN.

ReputationRep:
    It restricts your ability to just jump on a bus though, doesnt it? You have to make sure you have enough "credit" on it, and all that. Why not just stick with cash?

ReputationRep:
    It restricts your ability to just jump on a bus though, doesnt it? You have to make sure you have enough "credit" on it, and all that. Why not just stick with cash?
    - It saves time (both yours, the bus driver's and the rest of the people on the bus)
    - Saves the hassle of having the right change -- dunno about you but I prefer carrying a small card rather than change.
    - Costs 80p rather than £1.20 as it would if you paid in cash
    - You are never charged for more than an equivalent of a 1 day bus pass no matter how many journeys you make by bus (or a 1 day travelcard if you use the tube) -- a luxury not afforded if you buy a cash fare.
    - You can use it on tube, bus and tram
    - You can top up the credit at the tube station, newsagent and even online
    - The credit never runs out, pick up your oyster card with £5 in it a year later and you can still use the existing credit.
    - If the oyster reader isn't working (which it often isn't), you get a free ride.
    - If you get a bendy bus, definitely free ride. (Not recommended)
    Enough reasons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...06-leaflet.pdf

Don't know if there's a thread on this but thought it was useful to mention since many of us travel in London anyway.

It works out twice as much cheaper to use the bus than the tube. :eek:
    again?
    o balls.

ReputationRep:
    I've been thoroughly impressed with the cheapness of London transport. For £12.50 per week I can travel anywhere in london by bus or use the tube in Zone 1 as much as I like (I make an average of 4 tube journeys a day). Works out even cheaper if I buy a monthly pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miles)
    I've been thoroughly impressed with the cheapness of London transport. For £12.50 per week I can travel anywhere in london by bus or use the tube in Zone 1 as much as I like (I make an average of 4 tube journeys a day). Works out even cheaper if I buy a monthly pass.
    Socco: Okay, i conceed, they ARE quite good. However...

Mile: I have no real problems with the prices themselves, but the way Ken instigated both increase in prices AND congestion charge means you are forced to pay more for a service which is no better than it used to be.

ReputationRep:
    Mile: I have no real problems with the prices themselves, but the way Ken instigated both increase in prices AND congestion charge means you are forced to pay more for a service which is no better than it used to be.
    Well Oyster card prices have been reduced so if you're a Londoner it's actually an added incentive to use public transport (and Londoners who don't have Oystercards will be daft not to make use of the facility; more or less anyone who lives in London will have to use public transport at some point so the OC isn't exactly a covert solution). People need to stop faffing around with paper tickets unless they're a one-off tourist!

ReputationRep:
    I am going to London for christrmas with my mum (don't ask) and we will be using the bus a lot what is the best option for us?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I am going to London for christrmas with my mum (don't ask) and we will be using the bus a lot what is the best option for us?
    How long are you going for? Travelcards can be booked in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Its just one night . We are staying in the Docklands becuase my mum managed to get a hotel for £10 (Travelodge) for the room.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.