New London transport fares announced Watch

dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The Docklands is one of my favourite bits of London! Just get the day travelcards, they might've gone up but they ain't half bad still. £6.30 for unlimited travel in London between 09:30-04:30 the next day? Bargain..
thebucketwoman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by cherrychocolate)
*pets her trusty Oyster card*

I think it's disgusting.They drive us off the roads with £8 a DAY congestion charge.Then they raise the fares of the buses and tubes....which are overcrowded and smelly...I can't believe they are charging more for people to have to experience that day in day out!
With Oyster its 80p for bus travel after 9am! How is that too much?!
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
There's still something profoundly wrong with the way Transport For London is run. In most cities with a metro system, the prices are a fraction of the cost. London has a very old system which they have to update but I'm not seeing any visible improvement. The prices aren't really justified.

Not sure that O' Toole guy should be in charge. I'm still puzzled why they brought him in.
LittleMiss
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
£1.50 is not bad, in my home town its £1.80 single for about a 2 mile journey into town.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Socrates)
You can use it on tube, bus and tram
And the River.

If the oyster reader isn't working (which it often isn't), you get a free ride.
Cool. I hope that oftens quite a bit then. Normally I'd use a bicycle but I never took mine with me to university.

If you get a bendy bus, definitely free ride. (Not recommended)
How come? :confused:
thebucketwoman
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by cherrychocolate)
I don't see why the hell kids should get it free-they'd just get the money for it from their parents!
EXACTLY!

People complaining about kids not being tax payers are forgetting that the cost of kids' transport use is a burden on tax-paying families! This is to help them.
hugatree
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Dr. Blazed)
Christ, £1.50 for a bus fare. Absolutely ridiculous. When foreigners come here, they must just burst out laughing at the prices we have to pay.
We don't laugh, we get upset. :p: England is terribly expensive. What you pay in pounds, we pay in euros, or even less. £3 for a beer.. *faints*

Wasn't it £1 for each tube fair last year? :confused: From one side of the centre of London to the other (in 5 mins :cool: I love the underground)?
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Manchester is not much better thanks to the big monopoly companies like Stagecoach. To get to my house to town it (3.9 miles) it costs £1.80. This journey also takes at leat half an hour.

I buy a Megarider which costs £8.50 a week.

The Metrolink is also very expensive, I think its safe to say its dearer than the tube.
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
How come? :confused:
If you get on the bendy bus and don't touch on the reader, you can get away with it. BUT - if an inspector decides to come on, you may be fined or even prosecuted. Hence not recommended, do it at your own risk
bone-machine
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by DanGrover)
I heard he's also starting a policy where everyone has to grovel at his feet and then give him a blow job before they're allowed into London. This physical act (of proving you're his *****) will replace your current financial acts (of getting routinely hammered in the arse by his prices) as form of payment.
Hehehehe

erm..oyster cards...yeah yeah ...they have pros BUT they stress me out sometimes… because im never sure how much iv got on them when im in the queue for the bus...it seems i put a tenner on them and before i know it iv got 40p left. L

london is NOT cheap...and i don’t approve of this ******** excuse that he’s trying to make people use oyster..if you want them to do it....spread the message.get people to wear oyster card suits…have adverts on tv not just poster boards..DONT penalise people who have forgotten to top it up, are only in london briefly .e.g tourist who must be crying when they come to visit because its just so ridiculously expensive. He seems to be grabbing for taxes because otherwise he wouldn’t have taken this route instead of immediately upping the prices

. Having said that…SOME of these taxes it seems are being well spent in helping those that really do need it AND he is a dude in other respects. He’s done some wonderful things especially in terms of creating a sense of community and pride in what I once felt was a very impersonal city (and I felt like this before the attacks)

and as for free fairs for under 18 I PAY FOR TRAVEL TO AND FROM SCHOOL (2 buses, two trains)FOR MY WHOLE LIFE AND THE MOMENT I GO TO UNI YOU GET THIS…grrrrrrr

ps. Transport in sheffield is far more expensive ..and the buses and trams aren’t linked so you pay far more then you should for a relatively short trip…so us Londoners don’t have it THAT bad.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If we have a normal tube travel card, can we still go on the bus for free? Also, do students not get any discount on a 3 day travel card? That's reallyunfair as I could sometimes do with that. :mad:
Xanthe
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You can have a normal tube travel card on one day passes (not weekly, monthly, yearly).

Students get 30 per cent dicount.

Bus is free for under 16s. Travel cards include being able to use the Bus as well.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
If you get on the bendy bus and don't touch on the reader, you can get away with it. BUT - if an inspector decides to come on, you may be fined or even prosecuted. Hence not recommended, do it at your own risk
Ah yes but if you have an Oyster card on you then when he comes touch it and he hasn't got a case. :cool:
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Ah yes but if you have an Oyster card on you then when he comes touch it and he hasn't got a case. :cool:
Thats what I tell myself.

But...what if he gets to you before you have a chance to? High risk, I tell ya...:cool:
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
What do they look like then? As long as you know how to identify them, sit/stand by the yellow beeper and then you see him and use it as quickly as possible.
gordon_is_fit
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i think the prices are pretty reasonable and kids have the right to be able to go to school for free
spoon1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by gordon_is_fit)
kids have the right to be able to go to school for free
What? No they don't! they can just scrounge some money off their parents!
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by gordon_is_fit)
i think the prices are pretty reasonable and kids have the right to be able to go to school for free
It's so annoying that they introduce that now, 3years after I left school.
thebucketwoman
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
It's so annoying that they introduce that now, 3years after I left school.
Same here, parents shouldve voted Labour in a bit earlier...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.2%
Leave (425)
20.8%

Watched Threads