Turn on thread page Beta

What if you don't suit skinny jeans? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm not that big, but my legs are quite chunky, so i'm not sure if drainpipes will suit me, ut as i need new jeans i'm guna try some on tomorrow when shopping.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a size 8 and i look fat in them. You look crap in them unless you are an absolute stick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    I'm a size 8 and i look fat in them. You look crap in them unless you are an absolute stick.

i duno bout that. ive seen loadsa girls who i wud say are size 10/12 wearing them and with the right style they looked realy good.it depends what u wear them with i guess.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anyone that isn't tiny who can look good in them.

ReputationRep:
    i just don't think they suit ANYONE...normal sized people look like blimps and people who are thin enough not to look massive end up looking like starved children. they don't really give a very feminine shape and just look tacky imho.

ReputationRep:
    I only really like them with boots. or really high heels. i dont like how they look with flats, even if the person who is wearing them is super skinny.

ReputationRep:
    I dont like skinny jeans, I've seen some girls wear them, and because they're stretchy they've sagged round the bottom area, it looks just ewww.
    However,they do look good with boots if you have super skinny thighs, worn with anything else it looks too fashion victim.
    AND, surely they must be on their way out, if everyone talks about it trends usually fizzle out quickly. (look at gipsy skirts)
    But skinny white jeans....*shudder*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaperMoon)
    But skinny white jeans....*shudder*
    If they come into fashion i will cry. who would wear them? why would anyone wear them?
    i hope gypsy skirts come back in in the summer. i have a really nice one, more like a fairy skirt really. all cut away at the front.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't ever live with *just* drainpipe jeans...Agh. I have one pair, which I only wear with dresses or longish tops so my thighs don't look as ridiculous as they are. I'm a size 6-8ish and I still don't feel skinny enough to pull them off.

Flared/bootleg jeans all the way...hurrah. I would never throw pairs of jeans out for fashions sake..I like the jeans I own and I don't have the money to change everything for fashion.

EDIT: WHITE DRAINPIPES?! They don't sound too brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bottekrank)
    I was reading something in a magazine the other day that said to chuck out all jeans that aren't drainpipes (aka skinny jeans). But if you're not stick thin, skinny jeans won't suit you, so i'm in a bit of a dilemma - should i get some even though i'm not stick thin? I'm not fat, I'm quite slim, but i still don't think they'll look very good unless you're thin.
    Just because a magazine says that skinny jeans are the best "jeans of the moment" doesnt mean you have to blindly follow them despite the fact you think they wont suit you!!!
    Ive tried on a couple of pairs cos id love 2 wear them with my boots, but 9 times out of 10 they look horrific on anyone who weighs a feather more than Sienna Miller!
    That said, if you try some one and they make you feel confident, buy them! Just dont buy them if you think they dont suit you; why not try and experiment with other styles of clothes and find something that will fit you well and give you confidence

ReputationRep:
    i find it strange that everyone thinks they look horrible on people who are larger than a size 6/8!!!

I am a size 10/12 more towards the 12, and i think they look really nice one me. I get compliments all the time, many of my friends wear them and are not stick thin either!
    I think it really must depend on your confidence and how you can pull of the fashion... :rolleyes:

they have some really flattering ones in topshop and h&m at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I like jeans that open at the bottom (forgot the name of em...i have a couple of drainpipe pairs, but i usually fold those up into a capri-like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bottekrank)
    I was reading something in a magazine the other day that said to chuck out all jeans that aren't drainpipes (aka skinny jeans). But if you're not stick thin, skinny jeans won't suit you, so i'm in a bit of a dilemma - should i get some even though i'm not stick thin? I'm not fat, I'm quite slim, but i still don't think they'll look very good unless you're thin.
    You actually listen to a word they write in these magazines?

Wear what you want, not what society dictates. Be yourself!

ReputationRep:
    im jus over 5ft and i wore skinny jeans last night at a gig 4 the first time
    i recommend getting dark coloured ones as they slim the thighs
    my bum didnt look big it jus looked good!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm size 12-14 and I haven't even tried on skinny jeans because I think they will look ridiculous on me. However, to kind of keep up with the fashion, I've bought a pair of slightly bootcut jeans that are just a tiny bit short (sounds horrible I know) and I wear them with ballet pumps. Same kind of effect as skinny jeans but more flattering.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    There are so many types of jeans that you can wear whatever suit you.

ReputationRep:
    skinny jeans look fabulous in boots!!! i do not like them with points!!! those shoes just look ridiculous with them!

ReputationRep:
    Urg... when I saw that all the shops were selling skinny-leg jeans by the bucket I almost shuddered. They very rarely look good on people, and frankly I haven't even seen that many people wearing them. I've seen one petitie skinny girl, and she looked ok, but other styles suited her much more.

I'm a 6/8/10 depending on the shop, but with riduclously out of proportionly large hips. They look dire!

Maybe its all a big joke by the fashion mag people to choose a hideous, unflattering style and see how many are conned into following their advice and wearing it. There will probably be a reality TV documentary on it on channel 4 in the new year.

ReputationRep:
    Oh... they suit me fine.

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.