lawology
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey, I've applied to York Law School, been interviewed and today, been given an AAA offer - YAY!

I have 2 questions...

Firstly, i also have AAA offers from Leicester and from Warwick. I really like the look of the course at York but with it being a new and so completely different, it could be regarded as something of a risk to firm it.

So...In your opinion:

York>Warwick or Warwick > York?
York>Leicester or Leicester > York?

(although i appreciate that ultimately it has to be my decision )

Secondly, I recieved a letter today (as of yet I have not got the actual offer letter, i found out i had an offer via UCAS Track). The letter is from the Head of York's Law School and it says that my 'interview perfomance was particularly impressive' and that i'm 'placed as one of the best candidates who were offered a place'.

On the interview day, the Head of the Law school mentioned that good candidates who do not achieve the AAA offer may be able to get in with AAB...Is it so much of a stretch to think (well, hope) that this may be implicated in the letter? Or am I just being big-headed and does every successful candidate recieve the same letter?

Please, any advice would be really appreciate on this matter!

Thanks!
lawology
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Oops, put it in the wrong place...This is what happens when you're technically incompetent
h.marie-xo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lawology)
Hey, I've applied to York Law School, been interviewed and today, been given an AAA offer - YAY!

I have 2 questions...

Firstly, i also have AAA offers from Leicester and from Warwick. I really like the look of the course at York but with it being a new and so completely different, it could be regarded as something of a risk to firm it.

So...In your opinion:

Secondly, I recieved a letter today (as of yet I have not got the actual offer letter, i found out i had an offer via UCAS Track). The letter is from the Head of York's Law School and it says that my 'interview perfomance was particularly impressive' and that i'm 'placed as one of the best candidates who were offered a place'.

On the interview day, the Head of the Law school mentioned that good candidates who do not achieve the AAA offer may be able to get in with AAB...Is it so much of a stretch to think (well, hope) that this may be implicated in the letter? Or am I just being big-headed and does every successful candidate recieve the same letter?

Thanks!

I got this letter too!
i don't think everyone does get one.. and i was wondering about the AAB thing too... hmm.

Anyway, you should go for york! I think i will be

Message me I'd love to chat more about the Law school.
nailage
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lawology)

I have 2 questions...

So...In your opinion:

Thanks!
Hi I have an interview at York on the 16th of this month!
im so scared could you please give me some advice or tips?
obviously if they gave you an offer and they sent you a letter like that you must have impressed them.
What sort of things did they ask you and stuff?
oh and what did you wear?

Thankyou
h.marie-xo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hiya on your university letter inviting you to the interview they have a website which has all the information on what the questions are like.

I wore boots- leggings - brow knee length skirt, pink long-sleeves top and my coat.
I actually wore my coat in the interview!! ahh i feel quite embarrassed about that now but it's very smart and dressy so probably does not matter.

Anyway, none of can give you any exact information about the questions themselves but if you read the prospectus intensively so that you know a lot about the course you should be fine

Good luck! I promise you - i was DEAD nervous for my interview! I don't think i have ever been that nervous before ever! But to hear back from them saying I was 'one of the best who they gave an offer to' was just amazing!

lw:)
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Warwick is a better law school
h.marie-xo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lw:))
Warwick is a better law school
But how can you really compare??? York is COMPLETELY different from any other law school?
la bird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I had my interview last wednesday and last night recieved an offer.

I was very nervous aswell. Stumbled a few times and had to ask them to repeat a question. They are used to seeing nervous candidates!

Just try and give well rounded, logical answers, looking at all sides of the story; you will be fine.
runby
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by h.marie-xo)
But how can you really compare??? York is COMPLETELY different from any other law school?
Because Warwick has the better Law department,tried & tested !
Mann18
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Warwick has a better reputation as a university and as a department.
York is innovative, and sort of untested.

I'd say Warwick is the safer choice for career prospects.

But York is frickin' awesome :moon:
runby
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by nailage)
Hi I have an interview at York on the 16th of this month!
im so scared could you please give me some advice or tips?
obviously if they gave you an offer and they sent you a letter like that you must have impressed them.
What sort of things did they ask you and stuff?
oh and what did you wear?

Thankyou
I havent seen anyone on tsr receive a rejection from York for
Law,could be wrong,but don't think so.
Warm handshake & smile (obviously not all the time!)
h.marie-xo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by runby)
Because Warwick has the better Law department,tried & tested !
that didn't really answer my question did it?
Russell07
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Current York student here. Congratulations on getting your offers from some good unis, especially York. Someone in the year above me burst my bubble when I received that letter by saying everybody got it, but I like to secretly think that only the best candidates get it :P

York must reject some people as last I heard there were a lot more applications than offers and only 90 or so people get on to the course every year.

I've seen time and time again on here people saying that York isn't quite as good as Warwick etc etc. It is true its up to you. York has only had undergraduates for nearly 3 years now and so it is still being shaped - but this means its an exciting time to be studying there when you can have an input on the way you want to be taught. As I think some one has posted in another thread York has courses sponsored by Hogan Lovells, the law society is sponsored by SJ Berwin and there was a full magic circle turn out at the law soc dinner. As well as this I know of a few people who have training contracts lined up with big firms and the first few candidates have been getting offers from BPTC providers and Postgraduate course providers.

Plus on the academic side of things there are some leading academics at York who have previously been at other prestigious universities and who do a lot of good quality current research - and actually deliver the curriculum, which is often not the case at some institutions.

Its up to you obviously but I just find it exciting doing something new where they are happy to hear your feedback and you feel part of a small community where everyone knows everyone else and you can make a real impact on what goes on.
nailage
Report 8 years ago
How many interviews do they give out compared to places?
My interview is one of the last I think so I just hope they don't completely rule me out!
Mann18
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Russell07)
Current York student here. Congratulations on getting your offers from some good unis, especially York. Someone in the year above me burst my bubble when I received that letter by saying everybody got it, but I like to secretly think that only the best candidates get it :P

York must reject some people as last I heard there were a lot more applications than offers and only 90 or so people get on to the course every year.

I've seen time and time again on here people saying that York isn't quite as good as Warwick etc etc. It is true its up to you. York has only had undergraduates for nearly 3 years now and so it is still being shaped - but this means its an exciting time to be studying there when you can have an input on the way you want to be taught. As I think some one has posted in another thread York has courses sponsored by Hogan Lovells, the law society is sponsored by SJ Berwin and there was a full magic circle turn out at the law soc dinner. As well as this I know of a few people who have training contracts lined up with big firms and the first few candidates have been getting offers from BPTC providers and Postgraduate course providers.

Plus on the academic side of things there are some leading academics at York who have previously been at other prestigious universities and who do a lot of good quality current research - and actually deliver the curriculum, which is often not the case at some institutions.

Its up to you obviously but I just find it exciting doing something new where they are happy to hear your feedback and you feel part of a small community where everyone knows everyone else and you can make a real impact on what goes on.
I didn't get that letter, so either they're switching it up, or the year above are wrong.
C.O'B
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hello, just a brief note from the admissions tutor at YLS to let you know that the Head of Department does not send out a letter to everyone to whom we offer a place - nothing like in fact; only to the best performing candidates with excellent scores from both interviewers. So well done!
THEJACKLE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't know if they hand out the letters to everyone- but I got one last year. The law school has quite a unique style of teaching- PBL, problem based learning. The law school is split into about 12 student law firms of 10-12 members each ( a work group) in which you do group work. Each week you get two problems and then you analyise them as a group in your student law firm. Out of the problems you get about 5 learning outcomes each (essentially questions of law, like "What is the scope of the Party Wall Act 1996 regarding boundary walls"), which you have to research and feedback on in groups. Its quite a good way of learning and is quite effective for me personally.

Each week you get about 5-7 plenaries (lectures) covering each area of the law (Obligations, Criminal, Property, Public, Law in Society) plus every Friday there is a legal skills session which lasts about 3 hours. You cover things like doing negotiations, writing client letters, interviewing clients and delivering moots in your legal skills sessions which are very useful. Every 3rd Wednesday or so there is a group work session for Introduction to law and society. This is generally on a controversial area of law and your student law firm generally has to give a presentation or perform a task.

The problem based learning system is very unique and is far more involved than other programs. Equally you get quite allot of contact time in quite small groups(at least 5 hours per week in groups of 12 or less) , so its very easy to get help on any area of law you find difficult. Plus you stay with your student law firm throughout the year- so you gain quite a close nit group of people who help each other out and support each other. Personally I find the system quite good and very enjoyable and I think its a very good way of learning the law. In terms of grades, if your a good candidate, the law school does have some leniency. They understand that people mess up the odd exam and how easy it is to miss out on A and get a B; the interview buys people some breathing room as it were.

Hope this helps- if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.
EverLearningFool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by THEJACKLE)

Hope this helps- if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.
I'm currently deciding between Warwick and York. The big thing that is making me wary of York is that as it is so new there are no statistics on it. Things such as number of students getting a first and employment prospects.

Have many people got training contracts? What is attendence like for law firms at events? Have there been a lot of interest from big city firms and other universities? Where is York expected to rank when the rankings come out?

On a more course related note are there any January exams? How much of the assessment is based on portfolios?

Finally, what are the best three reasons you can think of for someone to choose York for Law?

Thank you in advance.
lottie12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am currently on my LPC having studied at Leicester, so I haven't been to York, but reading the above post on how the new system works sounds very impressive. This sounds very good, as it is essentially how you will work in practice and you will often be made to go and research things on your training contract etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about York being new. The University has an excellent reputation and I am sure many firms will recognise this and the different type of programme that they offer.

If I was you, I would chose Warwick or York. I do love Leicester but Warwick has a much better reputation for its Law School, and York's programme seems very good in terms of getting you ready for the LPC and for your future career.
EverLearningFool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lottie12)
If I was you, I would chose Warwick or York. I do love Leicester but Warwick has a much better reputation for its Law School, and York's programme seems very good in terms of getting you ready for the LPC and for your future career.
I have narrowed it down to between Warwick and York. I'm just struggling to pick between the two. =[
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (43)
23.24%
My career doesn't need one (25)
13.51%
I'm sick of studying (38)
20.54%
I can't find a course I want to do (5)
2.7%
I don't know enough about them (13)
7.03%
Nothing, I'm going to do it! (61)
32.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise