UPenn considered an elite school? Watch

TimeDivided09
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Most people really confuse it with Penn State, but then again it is Ivy.

My friend was accepted for a masters program there but he did his undergrad at Harvard. Is this a step down?

What do people across the pond think of University of Pennsylvania?

Is it even known in Europe (and I am not just talking about Wharton)?
TimeDivided09
Rep:
?
bump
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not particularly well known, no, certainly not amongst the general public. But a surpisingly low number of people know much about our university system or are terribly out of date. So they're unlikely to be too familiar with any of the Ivies outside Harvard, Yale and maybe Princeton. Or other universities (Duke, UC Berk, Rice...)

Even on TSR I expect there'll be some who consider UCL, maybe Durham, an "elite school" but not UPenn. Wouldn't surpise me anyway...

Edit: - to the people who are negging, presumably because I said that UPenn is not well known amongst the public, go to your local high street and ask 50 people if they know much about UPenn. The vast majority won't even know it's an Ivy League. I'm not saying it is strictly inferior to those universities these people are more likely to have heard of. Just that the public are not particularly well informed about British universities let alone those in the US.
TimeDivided09
Rep:
?
Even in the US UPEnn is confused with the state school Penn State which is a great school but not considered elite.

Penn has a PR problem with the general public but I doubt with those in the know.

I wonder if its the same across the pond?
xxxchrisxxx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know about it. I don't want to argue about what's considered 'elite' what isn't, but I'd choose it over Oxbridge.
manchild007
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by River85)

The utter nonsense in this thread is laughable :rolleyes:

Upenn, depending on what school we're talking about here, is one of the best universities in the world - and this is coming from someone not at the university itself (i.e. no bias), but from someone who knows about the system. Take the Wharton school for example, which is undoubtedly the best undergraduate and graduate (MBA) business school in the world (perhaps alongside only Harvard), period. Other programms including its Huntsman initiative etc are all equally highly prestigious.

There are of course some of its 11 schools which aren't as highly regarded of course, but you'd have to be insanely ignorant to not realise what UPenn consists of and the utter behemoth it is in finance/business.
Complex Simplicity
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TimeDivided09)
Most people really confuse it with Penn State, but then again it is Ivy.

My friend was accepted for a masters program there but he did his undergrad at Harvard. Is this a step down?

What do people across the pond think of University of Pennsylvania?

Is it even known in Europe (and I am not just talking about Wharton)?
I'd love to go to Wharton school at UPenn
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by manchild007)
The utter nonsense in this thread is laughable :rolleyes:
Erm....thank you? I think you're misunderstood what I have said.

Upenn, depending on what school we're talking about here, is one of the best universities in the world - and this is coming from someone not at the university itself (i.e. no bias), but from someone who knows about the system. Take the Wharton school for example, which is undoubtedly the best undergraduate and graduate (MBA) business school in the world (perhaps alongside only Harvard), period. Other programms including its Huntsman initiative etc are all equally highly prestigious.
I agree and I'm aware of Wharton, thanks

There are of course some of its 11 schools which aren't as highly regarded of course, but you'd have to be insanely ignorant to not realise what UPenn consists of and the utter behemoth it is in finance/business.
That is my point. It's unclear whether the OP is referring to a set of relatively well informed university studens and graduates, the vast majority will certainly recognise UPenn and its standing, or just the public in general. I was referring to the public in general. The public are, by and large, very ignorant about universities particularly those abroad.

Even the OP admits that this can be the case in the US.

But even a reasonable number of British students are unaware of UPenn's quality. This has actually been discussed in previous threads. Students creaming over UCL and Warwick but not aware of UPenn. However these are the same sort of people who believe that Warwick, Durham or Lancaster are leagues above Manchester and Glasgow. Whatever that's supposed to mean anyway....

So I am basing this on actual experience. Amongst those who are informed then, yes, they'll recognise UPenn's quality.
HayThereMardyBum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Donald Trump
aura1947
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know about it! It's an Ivy League university for heaven's sake!
adam0311
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aura1947)
I know about it! It's an Ivy League university for heaven's sake!
Doesn't really mean much--have you seen Cornell recently? Fallen down the ****can

Anyways, I wouldn't consider Penn as elite as HYP/MIT/Stanford/Dartmouth/Columbia. I think Penn SAS is kinda of mehhh. Wharton is really the only thing carrying their UG right now. Their engineering dept. is alright, but not nearly as good as some of the other engineering powerhouses. Thus the only thing that really sets Penn apart is Wharton.
teshnit
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Dunno much about UPenn generally, but i know Wharton is one of the elite business schools
Leodora
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Really had never heard of it until just now and I don't think my friends would know it either if you're after its reputation in England. It's possible other people may know it, but the most well-known here I'd say were Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and Brown. Even non ivy leaguers like NYU and Stanford are more well known than UPenn
TimeDivided09
Rep:
?
Brown? Really?
TimeDivided09
Rep:
?
From what I have read so far, UPenn is actually a pretty prestigious school. Apparently, it's in the top 5 in the national rankings and in the top 20 of world universities in several world rankings. That's pretty darn good.

It's always in competition with Columbia for the fourth best Ivy behind Harvard, Yale, Princeton. This year Columbia won.

If we are going by "elite" standards like rich alumni, large endowment, and recruitment by big firms, then Penn is up there with Stanford and MIT.

I just think Penn has a bit of a PR problem considering it keeps getting confused with a state school because of it's official name; University of Pennsylvania.

Penn Wharton is the most prestigious business school in the world. Penn also has one of the most prestigious medical schools in the country behind Harvard and Johns Hopkins.

Overall, I think that it is a top school up there with Harvard, Oxbridge and Yale. It's probably more in the Stanford, MIT, Johns Hopkins area of prestige though.
INTit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Never heard of it. Unless its Harvard, Yale or MIT most UK students won't have heard of it. student room students may be the exception.
adam0311
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
From what I have read so far, UPenn is actually a pretty prestigious school. Apparently, it's in the top 5 in the national rankings and in the top 20 of world universities in several world rankings. That's pretty darn good.
No one in the US actually thinks its a top 5 school.

HYP/Stanford/MIT/Columbia/Dartmouth all slaughter Penn

It's always in competition with Columbia for the fourth best Ivy behind Harvard, Yale, Princeton. This year Columbia won.
Penn is a lower ivy. Columbia is in competition with Dartmouth for number 4.

If we are going by "elite" standards like rich alumni, large endowment, and recruitment by big firms, then Penn is up there with Stanford and MIT.
All terrible indicators.

Endowment: You have to adjust by size. In which case, even Dartmouth pwns Penn.
Recruitment: Fwiw, Wharton (which is significantly better than SAS for recruiting) picks up all of the IB slots. You could probably pull MC from SAS, but that's about it.

Penn Wharton is the most prestigious business school in the world. Penn also has one of the most prestigious medical schools in the country behind Harvard and Johns Hopkins.
Not even close. HBS/SBS completely own WBS for finance recruiting. In fact, WBS has gone to hell since the economy took a hit. Have you seen the huntsman building? Looks like a bombed out liverpool at the height of WWII. Booth is on its way to surpassing WBS, especially after the 300 mil donation. Further, if you look at cross admit stats, most choose HBS/SBS and even Booth over WBS. Even the WBS UGs look down on the WBS MBAs.

As far as med schools go, UCSF/H/JHU/WashU are all more prestigious.

Overall, I think that it is a top school up there with Harvard, Oxbridge and Yale. It's probably more in the Stanford, MIT, Johns Hopkins area of prestige though.
Not even close. Harvard/Yale/Oxbridge>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Penn

And lol at including JHU with MIT/Stanford.

I know this looks like some terrible Penn trolling, but Penn is probably the most overrated IL (bar wharton UG), apart from Cornell.
TimeDivided09
Rep:
?
Blatant, trolling. What are you an Emory student who was rejected from Penn?

What is with the massive Dartmouth hard on too?

Penn is usually in the top five of the US News rankings. If you're thinking of social prestige based on the opinion of the New England elite, I guess Dartmouth has some cred. Otherwise, it's nothing more than a liberal arts school.

Columbia and Penn are the only middle Ivies and they compete every year for the fourth spot behind HYP.

Dartmouth is in the same league as Brown and Cornell and all three are considered the lower Ivies.

Dartmouth is always ranked in the lower half of the top twenty.

The rest of your post is a desperate attempt to make Dartmouth look like something more than it is not.

Wharton is still a top business school and just because it hit a snag and was given all the blame for the financial crisis, it's business school has still not seen a steep decline in applications. People still consider Wharton on par with Stanford and Harvard for business.

I could care less about business (I am an engineering student) but at the same time, your Penn bashing is utterly ridiculous.

As far as Med schools go; Harvard, JHU, WashU, Penn and UCSF. WashU and Penn changing spots every other year or so.

Point is, it has a top notch med school. You are too darn picky if you think that Penn does not have a top medical school program just because WashU and UCSF are in the same rank.

Harvard, Yale, Oxbridge, <<Penn. Not the silly exaggerated claim that Penn is somehow miles away from competing with the former.
adam0311
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Blatant, trolling. What are you an Emory student who was rejected from Penn?

What is with the massive Dartmouth hard on too?

Penn is usually in the top five of the US News rankings. If you're thinking of social prestige based on the opinion of the New England elite, I guess Dartmouth has some cred. Otherwise, it's nothing more than a liberal arts school.

Columbia and Penn are the only middle Ivies and they compete every year for the fourth spot behind HYP.

Dartmouth is in the same league as Brown and Cornell and all three are considered the lower Ivies.

Dartmouth is always ranked in the lower half of the top twenty.

The rest of your post is a desperate attempt to make Dartmouth look like something more than it is not.

Wharton is still a top business school and just because it hit a snag and was given all the blame for the financial crisis, it's business school has still not seen a steep decline in applications. People still consider Wharton on par with Stanford and Harvard for business.

I could care less about business (I am an engineering student) but at the same time, your Penn bashing is utterly ridiculous.

As far as Med schools go; Harvard, JHU, WashU, Penn and UCSF. WashU and Penn changing spots every other year or so.

Point is, it has a top notch med school. You are too darn picky if you think that Penn does not have a top medical school program just because WashU and UCSF are in the same rank.

Harvard, Yale, Oxbridge, <<Penn. Not the silly exaggerated claim that Penn is somehow miles away from competing with the former.
-Naa bro. U mad?

-Just an alternative to your massive penn hard.

-Lol at using rankings as a method for overall prestige.

-Sure, but prestige isn't measured by the USNWR.

-Dude, we're talking prestige--cut this ranking crap.

-Even if I were to agree to that. Schools like Booth are getting more cross admits. WBS grad just wasn't what it used to be---quite a few have struggled to even get sell-side gigs.

-Your penn=yale/harvard is ridiculous.
TimeDivided09
Rep:
?
Not Penn = Yale/Harvard

Penn = Columbia, Stanford, MIT

If we're not looking at rankings, then what are we looking at? What a bunch of Northeastern IB and consulting firms consider hot stuff or what trust fund babies think of in NYC or LA/SF?

If we're going by social prestige then most would think Swarthmore or Vassar are elite. Most upper crust would think Dartmouth is the only true traditional Ivy left.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.6%
No (219)
94.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed