Is Archaeology fun,good or hard?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
multiplexing-gamer
Badges: 15
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
As above
Tabers
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
I'm doing it at A level and love it. I suppose it might be different at uni but I think a lot of what you cover in the first year is what I've done at A level. If I don't get into my firm uni then I will be a joint honour degree with Archaeology in it. There are bits that will be interesting and bits that aren't. I don't really find all of the laws and legislation fun and there are a lot of them and dates to remember, but then again there are a lot of good stuff which make up for that. As I said this is my impression of A level but I'm sure it still has some links to what you do in a uni course.
multiplexing-gamer
(Original post by Tabers)
I'm doing it at A level and love it. I suppose it might be different at uni but I think a lot of what you cover in the first year is what I've done at A level. If I don't get into my firm uni then I will be a joint honour degree with Archaeology in it. There are bits that will be interesting and bits that aren't. I don't really find all of the laws and legislation fun and there are a lot of them and dates to remember, but then again there are a lot of good stuff which make up for that. As I said this is my impression of A level but I'm sure it still has some links to what you do in a uni course.

What was your first option?
Tabers
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
What was your first option?
When I first saw that my school did it I was excited. Going into the first lesson and looking at all of the things that we would look at was really interesting. I haven't looked back since and do not regret taking it. It is now my favorite A level and considering it was my fourth choice at first its a surprise. But it really is an interesting subject to study. The only reason that the joint archaeology and ecology course isn't my firm is because the ecology side at Worcester seemed really weak and that it what I want to be concentrating on. Shame because I would love to study it further. I'm definatly going to keep it as a hobby though.
multiplexing-gamer
(Original post by Tabers)
When I first saw that my school did it I was excited. Going into the first lesson and looking at all of the things that we would look at was really interesting. I haven't looked back since and do not regret taking it. It is now my favorite A level and considering it was my fourth choice at first its a surprise. But it really is an interesting subject to study. The only reason that the joint archaeology and ecology course isn't my firm is because the ecology side at Worcester seemed really weak and that it what I want to be concentrating on. Shame because I would love to study it further. I'm definatly going to keep it as a hobby though.
What is your first option? (Like what university do you want to go to the most) and what grades do you need?
freedomfries
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I'm studying archaeology and people on the course have mixed opinions. It seems that people who already had experience of archaeology and who want to pursue it as a career are really enjoying the course. Others (particularly those who are taking a humanities subject such as history) who are doing archaeology as their extra modules are not finding it too good.

If you have any more questions I'll try and help however I can
Anabolicminds
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
sex is fun, good, and my **** is hard
joestevens2092
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Only if it's like Jurassic park
multiplexing-gamer
(Original post by portugueseninja)
I'm studying archaeology and people on the course have mixed opinions. It seems that people who already had experience of archaeology and who want to pursue it as a career are really enjoying the course. Others (particularly those who are taking a humanities subject such as history) who are doing archaeology as their extra modules are not finding it too good.

If you have any more questions I'll try and help however I can
Why 'not to good'? Is it really hard?
What does it involve doing?
Are there good career prospects from it?
How would you get started? (I've never done it)
freedomfries
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by joestevens2092)
Only if it's like Jurassic park
Archaeology is the study of human activity, so it isn't much like Jurassic Park...

Some aspects are difficult, but it depends what you find difficult. Most first year modules we're doing have coursework essays. In the practical lessons of the 'Introduction to Archaeological Skills' there's quite a bit of graph-drawing, and looking at things from a more scientific angle.

Careers directly in archaeology aren't very easily available and they don't pay very well. But then again, a lot of the Archaeology BA is similar to a history degree but features some extra practical skills so I think even if you didn't want to go into archaeology as a career but wanted to study something you're interested in, it could still be a good choice.

The first year is quite a general introduction, we haven't really done any 'real' archaeology yet, no digging or anything, though at Cardiff there's a compulsory fieldtrip after the first year. I think some universities do more practical courses from the outset though.

I hadn't done archaeology before I started studying it, so don't worry if you do want to do it at university but have no experience, lots of people on the course will be the same.
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Rock solid :holmes:
Rob_K
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I'm a second year undergraduate at UCL.

In the first year most modules would introduce you to basic concepts in archaeology and give you some understanding of the past. At UCL there's a lot of emphasis on fieldwork, we have to do 70 days. Not all unis do it so decide early if that appeals to you (some people hate being in a field for 5 weeks)

It's not hard, but it's also not easy. There's a lot of reading and some of it is really dull, especially things like site reports, and anything written by Binford!

career prospects are quite poor. we had a lecture about it and out of 61 courses the archaeology graduates were paid the least. The cuts and recession, which affected the construction market also brought the number of jobs down.
At the same time it gives you a lot of transferable skills that other degrees won't, especially the fieldwork.
I'm planning to go into law after my degree.

How would you get started?
Go to uni and do it? not many people have any experience when they apply, it might be worth to join a local archaeological society and see how you like the practical side of it.

hope that helps
multiplexing-gamer
I think I'll do history instead. Better career prospects and is interesting
Tabers
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
What is your first option? (Like what university do you want to go to the most) and what grades do you need?
Oh I see what you mean. My first choice is just a straight ecology course at Scarborough. It is the joint archaeology course with ecology that is my second at Worcester. They seem to do quite a few courses joint with archaeology at Worcester so it does mean that you wouldn't have to go for a straight archaeology course and specialize. It gives you a back up option in case you decide it isn't for you. For that I need 260 UCAS points.
Rob_K
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I think I'll do history instead. Better career prospects and is interesting
Better career prospects? it's essentially the same thing, but we spend more time outside...
lolzasu
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes, I am trying to pursue a historian course, if I am lucky, I may be able to get an archaeology degree that pushes me towards my career goal. I do think that I have a better chance than most people I go to school with, due to my interest and work in history. I find myself looking at history exam papers for university, haha! Most of the questions seem incredibly easy towards me.Also, you might think I am lying, but I'm 12. People keep reminding me I need to relax and stop being so mature, but it's just a personality trait, it's strange too, it does not run in the family!
X
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (63)
68.48%
In the post (3)
3.26%
Text (13)
14.13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
14.13%

Watched Threads