The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yeah, it is a little bit because it's fantasy after all.
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
it's amazing. don't see how Star Wars is nerdy either, they're pretty mainstream films

being able to speak elvish on the other hand would be quite nerdy.

'mainstream films' ?

who the **** do you think you are?
Reply 22
Yes it is.

However, as others have said that doesn't mean it isn't good.
If you ask TSR the response is probably going to be no. If you asked the general public they'd probably say yes.

I'm of the opinion that it is a tad geeky, though not on the scale of Fatasy LARPing of course.

Then again being a bit geeky isn't necessarily a bad thing.
(edited 13 years ago)
The film in itself is not geeky. You are geeky towards the film. The same goes for any film.
Original post by candide
My girlfriend got me a Teach Yourself Elvish (Sindarin AND Quenya) book for Xmas as a joke present cos she knows I like LOTR. The sad thing is tho, now I know there are people out there who think Tolkien had discovered ancient elvish documents and was really revealing the true history of planet earth..................

That sounds far-fetched but I'd like to hear their reasons before I judge them to be fair.

Yeah, I would say LOTR is a bit geeky. If it wasn't on for so long I think it would be more accessible to most people.
Nothing to be ashamed of though. Great films and I loved the books.
(edited 13 years ago)
:dontknow:

..but it's one of the best :yep:
Reply 27
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
ha they're actually pretty good! i've personally got nothing against nerdyness, just pointing out most people would consider you a little obsessed..

I would say I'm slightly obsessed too :tongue:, I have seen most of the documentaries that came with the extended version of the LOTR movies.
Some people may think it's nerdy but I think it's very interesting! It shows how they managed to build the cities with minatures and how gollum was made and the battle scenes etc.
Having seen the films is not geeky... having read the books a hundred times along with ever piece of lore ever written, knowing every character and creature off by heart, being able to speak the language - that's geeky. Anything can be considered geeky if you're interested enough in it, but the elves and dwarves and fairies and mythical creatures make it more geeky than your average franchise really. Anything fantasy or sci-fi related is closely associated with geek culture.
Original post by Mally-xo
no way, however it would be geeky to quote the film word for word during conversations :h: on the other hand, it is acceptable to say 'my precious' in a gollum-like fashion!

off topic but still... :dance:

hahaha i remember the time, i was meeting a few mates for a curry at half 8. One text saying he'd been there since 8 so i thought cant be any later than half past. Ran from my house at 26 min past arrived exactly at half 8.

One of them said your late
I sat down and said "A wizard is never late. Nor is he early; he arrives PRECISELY when he means too!"

See 0.35 :biggrin:
Reply 30
Even though I still got to read this apparent masterpiece, I've watched the films many times, and they're brilliant.

Tbh, who cares if its geeky? :curious:

Someone called me a geek because I like Harry Potter books. :dontknow:
Aragorn? Boromir? How on (middle) earth could such sexiness even be deemed 'geeky'?! I'll just blatantly forget Legolas. He looks like a male Barbie anyway.

In all seriousness though, I was actually obsessed with LOTR long before the movies and my sister even went as far as learning Elven. I see nothing geeky about loving an excellent work of literature though and damn any who judge me for it. Hrmph.
Reply 32
Original post by hash007
Lmao! That video is hilarious, never seen that one before :biggrin:
Have you seen this

haha, can't believe you haven't seen it before. its so catchy, will be playing again and again in my head when I am trying to sleep tonight now :colondollar:
also that's a pretty good video too, eagles ftw.
Reply 33
Original post by gingerrama
What, is there some sort of barometer? :holmes:

Just personal preference really :tongue: Never really liked Star Wars.
Reply 34
Original post by Yellowmonkeyman
Well hello there :tongue:

Oh hello!

Fancy meeting you here :colone:
Come on guys, we all have a TSR account, of course it's not going to seem geeky to us :p:
Whenever it's come up in conversation for whatever reason you tend to get the vague kind of "That film was out years ago, why are you still not over it?" response. The Hobbit has been one of my favourite books since I was about 7 and my Dad read it to me at bedtime. I love Lord of the Rings, I am perfectly willing to accept its geekyness (Christ knows I do plenty of other "geeky" things too), and I couldn't care less what other people think :dontknow:
who cares if it is! its amazin!!! i really like lord of the rings and star wars alike and i don't consider myself a geek. plus whats wrong with watching the extended versions? its no different than watching behind the scenes on any other movie.
Reply 37
Original post by doubledot
Aragorn? Boromir? How on (middle) earth could such sexiness even be deemed 'geeky'?! I'll just blatantly forget Legolas. He looks like a male Barbie anyway.

In all seriousness though, I was actually obsessed with LOTR long before the movies and my sister even went as far as learning Elven. I see nothing geeky about loving an excellent work of literature though and damn any who judge me for it. Hrmph.

Boromir... Seriously? Not gay but I'd say Faramir is better looking than his brother :holmes:

And well said, I don't really care if I get called geeky because I like Lord of the Rings, I was just asking if people did consider it Geeky.
Original post by tikkitak
Oh hello!

Fancy meeting you here :colone:

Indeed :colone: been too busy to go on TSR this week but now I have the chance to stalk :colone:

50 hour weeks at work :eek::eek: :frown:
Yes but geeky = win.

Latest