Can quorn make you ill? Watch

EmilieRose
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Heeyy guyss..

So, I'll just get straight to it - basically, I'm a vegetarian and I regularly eat quorn. I had some tonight.. and it's been about 4 hours since I last ate it, and I've got really bad stomach pains, an upset belly and I feel reallyy really sick. I was just wondering if quorn can make you ill, like - if you've not cooked it properly?

I'm feel like I'm burning up, my mouths really dry, and I can't stop shaking I'm not sure if it's the quorn.. or just as a result of some of the rubbish I've been eating recently?

My mum ate the same thing, and she said she feels fine.. so, any suggestions?

Much appreciated, thank you
fire2burn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Quorn contains egg so there's a small chance if it's not cooked properly that you could get something from that. But if your mum had exactly the same thing and is feeling fine I doubt that's the cause.

Could just be a general stomach upset rather than something you've eaten, everyone gets them from time to time.
JustLau
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sounds more like you're feverish and nauseous rather than food poisoning. Some kind of bug or fever I'd say
my9rides
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I wouldn't have thought so. What with quorn not containing meat, i wouldnt have thought there would be much in there to give you a bad stomach...especially as your mum ate the same thing. Its probably just a bug or something. I would seriously doubt its the quorn.
SuperStar*
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Im a veggie too and live off quorn and have never had a problem. Maybe its something else.
helphelphelpmeee
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
we learnt about this in gcse biology (many many years ago now, eek :/) and because of the way quorn is made it received a lot of bad public feeling when it first came out. AND it did lead to some tummy upset, as it is essentially a fungus product?

if you google it a LOT of material comes up. obviously the web isn't the most accurate source of medical information, but there's a compilation of complaints here:

http://www.cspinet.org/quorn/victims.html

it might be worth keeping a diary for when you do eat quorn (if you are a vegetarian this may be quite often, afterall) and detail your reactions afterwards. if it persists go to your doctor's with the diary for allergy testing perhaps?

i hope you feel better soon! i get that with dry pasta and it's hell :/ xox
clo-clo1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My nan gets like this if she eats it and apparently a lot of people have a bad reaction to the fungi in it. There was a news story about it somewhere which explained it fully but I can't find it.
Although it's strange you have eaten it before and you've been fine but obviously reactions to things can pop up overnight, if it happens again- if you ever feel like eating it again go to the doctor.
Jez RR
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Damn stuff always made me want to puke. Maybe I'm allergic to it.
Stargazer23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If your mum was okay after, it probably wasn't the Quorn that's made you ill
And I wouldn't say you were allergic or anything if you eat it regularly :\
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have to stay away from their fake ham type product otherwise I get exactly what you describe OP.
chemical_bex
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Normally, I wouldn't be surprised if it did, but you regularly eat it and don't get these symptoms, plus your mum had some and is feeling fine, so it's probably just a bug?
Martyn*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I love quorn; I rarely eat meat at all except fish now and again. No reaction to it as yet.
hslt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
EDIT: haha just seen that this is from last feb... I doubt anything I have to say will be much use this late in the day...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (22)
25.29%
1 (10)
11.49%
2 (16)
18.39%
3 (11)
12.64%
4 (7)
8.05%
5 (9)
10.34%