Interview Anxiety! Watch

F1 fanatic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Bekaboo)
I will say only this:
Some people came to interview, sure that they were the best in their subject. Some of them even bragged about their exam results - one in particular I remember because I eventually turned round and pointed out that yes we all had those exam results and he was not special. Those that came thinking that they were the best, that they had interviewed fabulously and that they were "dead certs" were 9 times out of 10 those that didn't get in.
On the other hand I know two Biochemists who both came to Jesus for interview - neither of whom had scored a string of As at AS level, both of whom were a bit unsure of themselves and both of whom made at least one major **** up at interview because they were nervous.
One of them is now at St Peter's, and the other... I don't know which college she ended up at as we're yet to talk, but we see each other around in lectures.
My point is that yes you're right you need to be more than some wishy-washy nobody - but trust me you are going to be pushed and if it is in you then it will come out. Going thinking you know it all is only lining yourself up for a fall. Everybody is smart. Everybody is good at their subject. That is why they are applying

And as for those who are nervous: I won't tell you not to be. But at the end of the day - the juice is worth the squeeze
Yeah, and to be honest the interviews can be quite enjoyable. I know its easy to say that in hindsight. But I had quite a lot of fun. I met some great people, I enjoyed myself and I liked the fact I was being pushed. I think its best to go in with a "well if I get in then great - if not I gave it a shot and havent lost anything"
kitsune
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by cor)
and i'll tell you what annoys me the most - no matter how much you prepare, you end up not needing any of it!
humm I can say this is partially true from first hand experience. From all I studied last year for my Cambridge Economics interview... just about 2% was asked... but the tutours told me that if I would have not known that they would have said BYE BYE at that very moment! (to recognise a few economics curves drawn on a piece of paper!)
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kitsune)
humm I can say this is partially true from first hand experience. From all I studied last year for my Cambridge Economics interview... just about 2% was asked... but the tutours told me that if I would have not known that they would have said BYE BYE at that very moment! (to recognise a few economics curves drawn on a piece of paper!)
Well if you can't recongnise economics curves when you've been studying the A-level....that doesn't really count as preparation.
sixthirtythree
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Bekaboo)
I will say only this:
Some people came to interview, sure that they were the best in their subject. Some of them even bragged about their exam results - one in particular I remember because I eventually turned round and pointed out that yes we all had those exam results and he was not special. Those that came thinking that they were the best, that they had interviewed fabulously and that they were "dead certs" were 9 times out of 10 those that didn't get in.
To an extent...some people can go in knowing they are one of the best. If say, you come from a school that sends 50+ people each year to Oxbridge and you are the best of those...
Or say, for Biochemistry, a candidate had been selected to be on the UK Biology Olympiad team in year 12...

then you'd have reason to be confident (/even slightly arrogant?)
kitsune
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
well if you havent studied economics not even for GCSE... (I had applied maths questions as I wasnt doing Economics alevel )
Traum
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
what sort of curves? Philips, L-curve, J-curve, Keynsian/classic LRAS...
kitsune
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol maybe... they gave me 6... and I could just identify the shapes of D+S, aggregate demand+supply and Philips curve! :p:
Traum
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yikes... i bet i wud be straight out by that stage... how can you tell... there are like a million curves in economics...
rajorani
Report 13 years ago
there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance, i suggest the best course of action would be to avoid such an approach entirely. A's are A's..they are an indicator of excellent acheivement but the buck stops there. Grades dont highlight effort, motivation or commitment as some people can get A's with little work and others have to bust their ass for months. Tutors are ultimately looking for potential, not past achievements..past achievements act as a guideline for what you can be predicted to achieve and where your aptitude stands, but I wouldnt try to orient the interview in such a manner that u try to discuss them without being asked.

I've already had my interview, and noone asked me anything about my grades. I know there are a lot of other people who didn't get asked about their grades either.
kitsune
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by rajorani)
there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance, i suggest the best course of action would be to avoid such an approach entirely. A's are A's..they are an indicator of excellent acheivement but the buck stops there. Grades dont highlight effort, motivation or commitment as some people can get A's with little work and others have to bust their ass for months. Tutors are ultimately looking for potential, not past achievements..past achievements act as a guideline for what you can be predicted to achieve and where your aptitude stands, but I wouldnt try to orient the interview in such a manner that u try to discuss them without being asked.

I've already had my interview, and noone asked me anything about my grades. I know there are a lot of other people who didn't get asked about their grades either.
:ditto: :rolleyes: :p: (got a chemistry exam tomorrow :bawling: )
anycon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
interviews are easy if you are good enough to get in in the first place.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (62)
74.7%
Leave (21)
25.3%

Watched Threads