descrimination and the art of public school bashing Watch

This discussion is closed.
quinnbrakes
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by neildm)
The students had 3 A-levels, nothing more, nothing less. I maintain that the state schooled student is at least as able as the privately schooled one. Room to perform at a higher standard would come in the form of 4 As at a-level, which I haven't included in the comparison.

By the way, you still haven't acknowledged that state schooled students get discrimated against by privately schooled students too. Will you continue with the self-pity thing or are you going to be more objective in the future?
If they both have 3 a levels nothing more nothing less then your conclusion is equally invalid. What if the privately schooled pupill had suffered the loss of both his parents days before the exams or if he was ranked 1st in the country in all three subjects he could still at best be as good as the other pupill because of what school he went to? There are so many possible variations that your point generalises itself into nothing.

As for public school ppl descriminating against others. Of course it happens but in my view is already well publicised my point in starting this thread was to say that it isnt always that way around and that public school bashing is equally wrong.
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What's the point of arguing? Private school kids get top university places given to them on a plate. There.
quinnbrakes
Are u just trying to piss ppl off or is that a real opinion?
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by quinnbrakes)
Are u just trying to piss ppl off or is that a real opinion?

It's a generalisation with an element of truth.
neildm
Report 14 years ago
If ...........and that public school bashing is equally wrong.

I'm being extra-harsh today but you seem to be an example of how a private education can in theory give you an advantage for Oxbridge even though you may not be the most capable of students.

I said in my original post comparing the two "Is that not fair for, say 90% of cases?", and you point out (the most) extreme cases in response.

That being said I have a couple of extremely bright friends at private schools, they are going where they want to go and would be capable of doing so even without a private education. What I'm saying is not everyone needs that advantage, but some people do benefit from it. I don't think its worth my time arguing with you further on this topic. Good luck at Oxford!
quinnbrakes
Really. A plate? Are the exam boards in on this great scam or are we fed the answers or something? Id love to know just how its done coz it seems that i missed out. Im pretty sure i worked bloody hard for my university place and my grades and before that for my scholarship. Looks like i need not have bothered. Seems what ive acheived doesnt mean much because i could have just bought my way in.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Really. A plate? Are the exam boards in on this great scam or are we fed the answers or something? Id love to know just how its done coz it seems that i missed out. Im pretty sure i worked bloody hard for my university place and my grades and before that for my scholarship. Looks like i need not have bothered. Seems what ive acheived doesnt mean much because i could have just bought my way in.
Now you're getting the idea.... :rolleyes:
quinnbrakes
Bugger looks like my loss. Can you do the same at uni coz i'd rather not work there either?
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Bugger looks like my loss. Can you do the same at uni coz i'd rather not work there either?
Erm, I was being sarcastic. Like most things in life, you can choose to yak about it, or live with it safe in the knowledge that the people that matter are the ones who don't care about your "insert type of person here", in this case public school background. In this case, this would be the majority of people.

I'm sure you're a perfectly nice person and probably don't deserve flack - most people don't. So just bother yourself with people who do care about you and not the ones who don't. Despite what people say, life isn't one gigantic popularity contest.
quinnbrakes
God! I'm gonna have to post again!! You WANT people to say that don't you?!? You want to feel discriminated against right?!? Some kind of turn on perhaps? Quit whining for the love of God! And everyone else, stop feeding his self-pity, please.
Oh sod off you patronising chump. I dont want your pity and certainly dont want to feel descriminated against. Im big enough to look after myself.

If you cant argue a case that u believe in passionatley then these boards are little more than somewhere to massage each others egos and congratulate each other on how fantastic you are.
as1
Report 14 years ago
You are going to hate me for this, but I believe that all the arguments have been displayed in this thread, yet you haven't understood them properly. Ultimately quinnbrakes, you are not going to accept anything anyone says because you have approached this subject with a closed mind. Think for a minute. Of course discrimination isn't right, but you have to think about what you are arguing!

"If you cant argue a case that u believe in passionatley then these boards are little more than somewhere to massage each others egos and congratulate each other on how fantastic you are."

Logic boy! Logic! You make opinions on false fact. I can't even begin to criticise the above statement. Think!
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm sorry that you've had to face 'blind ignorant dIscrimination' for most of your life, I guess you'll just have to learn to live with it. The proportion of state schoolers that discriminate against private schoolers is roughly equal to those vice versa, whether you realise it or not.
I think the point is that it's seen as "acceptable" to discriminate against public school children, but not against state ones.
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think you have a bit of a cheek moaning about coming under the abuse of state school students. Can you please consider that those people inside a state school come under this sort of abuse from the same people every day. It especially affects those of us who go to school with the aim of learning. You are of course priveliged but at the same time should not be academically condemned for it. If you have three As then well done but you should accept that this does not mean as mucch as if you had to do your A levels with far fewer facilities/teachers. To be blunt you/your parents should really have thought about this before they sent you to private school. If you want to complain to someone then your parents might be a good place to start.

Musicboy
historian
Report 14 years ago
Ok i would like to start by stating that the fact that a public school students education (or the nature of a students education generally) is taken into account is by no means an issue of discrimination.

It is the respobnsibility of cambridge or oxford and any other university to assess as accurately as possible the abilities of those from whom they are selecting their intake. To look, in a vacuum, at grades achieved or 'performance' in interview would oversimplify this process. People send their children to public schools for a reason - largely because of the educaitional advantages it brings 0- smnaller class sizes and, along with grant maintianed (state grammer) schools, the luxury of picking and choosing their intake . A comprehensive environment on the other hand is didiffernet. In addition to larger class sizes and fewer resources comprehensive shcools to not generally have the luxury of piking and choosng studens on the baisis of ability or behaviour. On this basis it is logical to regard the achievement of remakrkable grades in a compresensive school to theachievement of similar grades in a public school, in the same way that if two drivers who finish equally in a race, one in a top of the range sports car and one in a hatchback, the driver in the hatchback has demonstrated greater innate ability.

I am not sure but i think this has been demonstrated by empirical evidence looking at the relative achievements at university of high achieving state and public school students, though as i sa i am not sure of this.

The point is that as a private school student you are still more likelyto be accepted into cambridge. Assuming that children of richer parens are not born cleverr this indicates that as a pblic school studnt you are still advantaged.
historian
Report 14 years ago
What does the poor bloke have to do get better than a's?
I believe colleges ask for module scores as well as grades allowing for some degree of differentiation
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by historian)
I believe colleges ask for module scores as well as grades allowing for some degree of differentiation
Not at Oxford I don't think.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
To add my two cents:

- My parents are rich. But I can't help it. So don't have a go at me for being a public school boy. That's just as reprehensible as my calling you "state school rif raf".

- If the rich can afford to send their children to good schools, then so what? Rich people can also afford fast cars...in fact, being rich affords you lots of benefits. That's what capitalism's about.
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
To add my two cents:

- My parents are rich. But I can't help it. So don't have a go at me for being a public school boy. That's just as reprehensible as my calling you "state school rif raf".

- If the rich can afford to send their children to good schools, then so what? Rich people can also afford fast cars...in fact, being rich affords you lots of benefits. That's what capitalism's about.
Cambridge is about education, not about the political system of britain. It must look past capitalism as wealth does not equal academic potential.

Musicboy
historian
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
rich people can also afford fast cars
Indeed, and that is why the person who is able to drive fastest down the motorway is not necessraily the most able driver but is likely to be amongst the richest.
smashgro
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
every1 in life gets discriminated against about 1 thing or another.
comprehensives discriminate against grammar schools and private schools
grammar schools discriminate against comps and private schools
private schools discriminate against comps and grammar schools.

all of this discrimination is based on generalisations, and false impressions. Everyone should be judged on their individual merits - however with human nature this is not going to happen. Therefore there is no point complaining about being discriminated against - in all likelyhood u discriminate against other people equally. and even if u dont wots the point in moaning about it? Anyone who really matters to u, i.e. ur friends, wil know what u r really like.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (809)
80.42%
Leave (197)
19.58%

Watched Threads