descrimination and the art of public school bashing Watch

This discussion is closed.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by smashgro)
in all likelyhood u discriminate against other people equally. and even if u dont wots the point in moaning about it? Anyone who really matters to u, i.e. ur friends, wil know what u r really like.
maybe you've missed the point. maybe you're just a liberal
BossLady
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think what some people have missed out here when making the statement that "3As from the local comp, means more than 3A's from a good priv school because the av for the local comp is like CCC and the av for the priv school is like 'AAB'", is the fact that 3As is the highest you can get, there is nothing higher that you can achieve. It's not your fault if other people do well around you and although this does indicate you've had better access to resources and what not, the person from the private school with 3A does not have the opportunity to do way better than the average because the average of his school is already so high. You cannot get above an A in an exam, so if the average is an A, you might be much more intelligent than others around but you will still recieve an A at most.
In private schools there is often a big work ethic, some people feel that there parents have spent so much they just HAVE to make it into a top 10 uni. This means that they will all try and get A's, and most will probably achieve this.
For this reason it's ridiculous to disrcim against priv school people using the agrument quoted at the top because private school goers can never get much higher than the average because the average is so ridiculously high. The quote implies that you should not let any priv schoolers in because nobody will be above the average. I accept 3As from a comp with average of 3Cs is quite an achievement but private school goers don't even have the chance to attempt to reach this high mark compared to the average because the average is high!!
Philo
Report 16 years ago
Did anyone watch Question Time, about 2 weeks ago when David Miliband was on the panel being asked questions in Slough?

Under the topic of "should all grammer schools become high schools?" a young lady in the audience stated that she had got consistenly high marks all through her education and did not believe this would have been possible had she gone to a state school.

Using this as an example, I would argue that it is possibly a result of SOME of the educational institutions in this country that their students feel discriminated against by others. By publicly announcing to your students that you WILL be treated differently because of your background, surely you are just fuelling the problem and premoting the mentality that you are somehow "deferent" in a way that will be treated negatively, whilst at the same time re-enforcing just how 'unfair' it all is.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
"I worked bloody hard for my results." Somebody who went to a state school where they were probably teased everyday for their academic ability, and beaten up when they were younger probably worked harder. If they have to develop their own hunger for learning and for achievement, then this is really something. Usually they're surrounded by people who don't care, and teachers don't care. Imagine that, if your teachers didn't care if you did well or not! Even if they did care, they wouldn't know how to support you to do well.

Achieving top grades in a state school with such conditions is more of an achivement than in a private school. I'm pretty sure tutors don't blanket assess state school applicants, because there are of course the good ones and the bad ones. It's easy enough to analyse the various statistics of average performance, school environment, location, etc. Therefore, privately schooled applicants should be viewed with some suspicion, as to how real their achievement is. Don't be concerned that you cannot show your ability because the limit is 3 As, for a start, it isn't, secondly, you should have no problem getting 100%s or near the mark, thirdly, you should perform very well in interview, showing your brightness, and that you have used the extra resources available to you well.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The point you're all missing is that discrimination of any form is wrong.
Philo
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
I couldn't agree with you more and I'd certainly like to highlight just how paradoxical the words "positive" and "discrimination" are when put together.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Philo)
I couldn't agree with you more and I'd certainly like to highlight just how paradoxical the words "positive" and "discrimination" are when put together.
The point I am trying to make is that this is not discrimnation at all unless you are talking about discrimination on the basis of academic talent which for a place like oxford or cambridge weems perfectly justifiable.

Musicboy
historian
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
No tek, the argument here centres not on whther *discrimination* is justified but whether differentiation between comprehensive and private school students, in relation to there academic achievements is indeed discrimination.
Suzy_vet
Report 16 years ago
Theres a number of things i would like to say here.

First, as someone who is (hopefully) going to cambrige next year, i intened to go with a totally open mind. I met some very nice people from all walks of life during my interviews, both public and state, and some i didnt bother asking, as far as im concerned its an unessassary question. And I vey much hope that others will go with an equally open mind.

I know two people from private school, both girls. One failed the 12 plus (you do not have to take an entrance exam for a lot of private schools, if you have the money you go)and her Dad said 'Im not having my daughter going to that school, its no where near good enough for her'. This was infact the school ive gone to, a state comp. I occasionally see her on the bus home, the last time one in the evening, and she started going on about 'her school' again to my mates, who are at state grammar. Then ****ging off my school, so i pretended to go to sleep, i have no time to listen to that rubbish. She prejudice and absessed with her, what she thinks is, 'superiority'. Ive worked hard for my place. out of 200 in my year 3 of us have offers from oxbrige. compare that with some private schools, ofetn non selective, they may have half the size and at least 4 times the intake. The other girl didnt seem to be able to give anyone not at her school the time of day.

This is my experince. But i do not hold this aginst anyone. i nearly went to private school after being bullied at mine for two years solid. it was hard, i got over it, and i put everything into work. i sought help and resources for myeslf. im sure there are those from private schools who have worked equally hard.

I look forward very much to meeting them.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Shut up Suzy, you can't base your prejudice's on one girl, especially if her dad has an attitude like that. I've been mugged, and so have my friends, and let me tell you this - it is GODDAMN ALWAYS by state school pupils. But do I hold this against others? NO! Because I appreciate that DESCRIMINATION IS WRONG.

Some of you state schoolers need to appreciate that simple fact.
Suzy_vet
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Shut up Suzy, you can't base your prejudice's on one girl, especially if her dad has an attitude like that. I've been mugged, and so have my friends, and let me tell you this - it is GODDAMN ALWAYS by state school pupils. But do I hold this against others? NO! Because I appreciate that DESCRIMINATION IS WRONG.

Try reading the whole link Tek. Classic mistake. This is how prejudice is formed. not looking at the whole story.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)

Whaaaaaaaaaat?
Suzy_vet
Report 16 years ago
And actually, im just demonstarting how these sort of opinions are formed.

Im sorry about being mugged, thats crap. last time i looked it was public schoolers defrauding insurance and tax people, creating more hassle to the general public and especially poor. ie. lord brocket, Charles ingram, johnathon aitken, jeffrey archer (charity stealing prat), etc etc.

THIS IS GENERALISING. not nice is it. i dont do it.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Suzy_vet)
Try reading the whole link Tek. Classic mistake. This is how prejudice is formed. not looking at the whole story.
I did, but you kind of undermined your "I have an open mind" theory by then stating an obvious prejudice really.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And actually, im just demonstarting how these sort of opinions are formed.

Im sorry about being mugged, thats crap. last time i looked it was public schoolers defrauding insurance and tax people, creating more hassle to the general public and especially poor. ie. lord brocket, Charles ingram, johnathon aitken, jeffrey archer (charity stealing prat), etc etc.

THIS IS GENERALISING. not nice is it. i dont do it.
Huh? You just said you don't generalise, after generalising and admitting having done so? HUH????
Suzy_vet
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Huh? You just said you don't generalise, after generalising and admitting having done so? HUH????
That was slightly confusing, sorry. i was trying to make the point that generalising about public school or state school doesnt work!

That girl was simply an example of why there are those opinions around. I am currently in contact with two absolutely lovely people both from private school, so there we go! im sure you know nice state school people too, as wll as those who have mugged you. I would hope so anyway, they are the majority of the population! (joking!)
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
im sure you know nice state school people too, as wll as those who have mugged you. I would hope so anyway, they are the majority of the population! (joking!)
No, I don't like mixing with them in case they steal my phone. :rolleyes:
</sarcasm>
Suzy_vet
Report 16 years ago
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

From a puely personal point of view, i never thought people from private school thought like this. Its always been quite one sided in my opinion. I know you said you were joking, but do you know people who think like thsi? im interested.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

From a puely personal point of view, i never thought people from private school thought like this. Its always been quite one sided in my opinion. I know you said you were joking, but do you know people who think like thsi? im interested.
There are probably some people (like me) who have had bad experiences of state school students, especially in Inner London (where I go to school) and let's face it, the state schools there are pretty awful. However, I don't know anyone who has any particular prejudices against state school students.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
There are probably some people (like me) who have had bad experiences of state school students, especially in Inner London (where I go to school) and let's face it, the state schools there are pretty awful. However, I don't know anyone who has any particular prejudices against state school students.
Imagine if you had to goto school with them :P
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (8)
29.63%
No (16)
59.26%
Don't know (3)
11.11%

Watched Threads