Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok im giving out lots off different revision tips so im just going to put them all in here - feel free to add your own but could any comments be kept to a different thread thanx

my tips

• make good notes as you go along - you will not be able to revise from notes you dont understand
    • recap any work a week after doing it, then 2 weeks, then a month, keep enlarging the gap - if you recap as you go along you will find that when it comes to revising the stuff is easier to recall as its gone into long term memory - you will neva forget it
    • do practise papers - get them off teachers or exam board websites
    • mind map topics - good for science and some other subjects
    • i dont know what there called but the things that help you rember things - the one i no for tri is
    sex on hard
    concert always hurts
    the old arse

or for planets
    My Very Easy Method Just Speeds Up Naming Planets (first letter of each is first letter of planet)
    • if you dont quite understand try explaining the topic to someone else it will clear things up for you
    • make cards with key words on put definitions on the back and put them in places you look on/in the fridge round the pc ect have diff colours for diff subjects
    • record your self reading notes and play them back
    • practise writing essays in short times - good for subjects like english, RS, history ect remember to PEE
    • try having music on - it doesnt work for everyone
    • you may revise better with friends

and remember
    • drink lots of water/ juice
    • have 5 min breaks every 15-20 mins
    • do stuff you enjoy as well

ReputationRep:
    im bumping this up - please add your revision tips

ReputationRep:
    It is not productive to be revising 24/7, make sure you mix having fun with revising (but with the priority slightly more on revising).

If it helps, rather than reading the text, highlight and make notes.

By the way - the things are called mneumonics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickiM)
    By the way - the things are called mneumonics
    thanx

ReputationRep:
    thanks really useful tips
    :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sim90)
    thanks really useful tips
    :tsr:
    thanx feel free to add your own

ReputationRep:
    i found that if i understand soemthing, then i dont really need to revise it come exam time because i understood and therefore could apply whatever concept it was to the question so i would say just make sure you understand everyitng. also, you should definately get hold of syllabuses because they were probably the best £1.50 i spend in year 11!!

ReputationRep:
    you may revise better with friends
    This probably won't work because it is very easy for 15/16 year olds to get side-tracked.

E.g. Two friends are revising the kidneys. Friend A says: "Remember when we cut up that kidney last year?" Thus starting an unnecessary conversation.

Also, one friend is usually much smarter than the other which means that the one who doesn't actually understand the topic just agrees with the smarter one in order to avoid embarassment.

Therefore it is more efficient to revise alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kdids89)
    This probably won't work because it is very easy for 15/16 year olds to get side-tracked.

E.g. Two friends are revising the kidneys. Friend A says: "Remember when we cut up that kidney last year?" Thus starting an unnecessary conversation.

Also, one friend is usually much smarter than the other which means that the one who doesn't actually understand the topic just agrees with the smarter one in order to avoid embarassment.

Therefore it is more efficient to revise alone.
    i completely agree. i know that revising with my friends would never work. i would much rather just get on with it myself

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.