This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Are they own by the government? I am confused because I always thought they were private but I read that the tories plan to privatise them.
magicalsausage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They own themselves...but get substantial wodges of cash from the government for both teaching and research...meaning that a lot (most) of universities become dependent on the grant money and are so controllable by the government.
Apart from Buckingham, Britain's only private Uni.

Personally I think it would be a disaster if Universities were privatised, look at America where Harvard charges £45 000 a year!
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by magicalsausage)

Personally I think it would be a disaster if Universities were privatised, look at America where Harvard charges £45 000 a year!
Quite right. You need a bit of Government funding, just to keep prices down and not have university degrees as something for the rich only. As that is virtually how it is in America sadly.
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by magicalsausage)

your figure is wrong...it is a lot less than 45,000 pounds....they charge more like 28,000 dollars USD....
magicalsausage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh sorry that was meant to be dollars. I was pretty certain it was $45 000 but if not it is definitely more than 28k due to accomodation and other such extras. Anyway the point is that it cost a huge amount more than any UK University can over here.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (389)
67.3%
No (189)
32.7%

Watched Threads