Arsenal4Gunners
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi guys its my first thread on TSR so i'm still getting used to things. I just have a few questions about options in year 9. The subjects I will be taking for gcse at the moment are:
English
Maths
Science*
Resistant Materials
History
French
*I would like to become a doctor so should I take triple science or double award?
Is it harder ect, advice would be nice
- Also i'm not sure what to do for my last option either geography,ict,business or sociology

I would just like some much needed advice in what would help me most to becoming a doctor. I know i sound stupid but i would appreciate advice
Stegosaurus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi!
I'd say do triple sciences because they go into more detail, but you could equally take double award - this is from Edinburgh's current entry requirements:

GCSEs: Grade B in Biology, Chemistry, English, Mathematics. Double Award Combined Sciences or equivalent at Grade BB may replace GCSE Grades in sciences.
Since medical schools are clamping down more and more now though it might be best to hedge your bets and just go triple - I don't know what other people think about that? Equally though, triple science is difficult, so if you take it you've got to be sure you can get a reasonable grade in each.

As far as other choices go, it doesn't matter too much, although some might say geography is the most 'respected' of those.
I would say the most important thing is to do what you enjoy & what you're good at - it doesn't matter too much at GCSE as long as you get reasonable grades + take subjects that mean you can do the necessary A-levels for medicine.

I took English lit+lang, maths, triple sciences, religious studies, history, Spanish and double engineering and haven't hit any problems due to those choices at all - I'm currently studying chemistry, biology, religious studies and English lit + applying for medicine entry for 2012.
recurring500
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What is your current Science level/grade? Not being nosy but it's hard to base it on what you said. Triple Science is a lot of hard work and with the government stopping modular exams it won't be getting any easier, if anything it will be getting harder. But saying that it does look good having three separate sciences. With regard to the other 'option', Geography would look by far the most academic - simply because it's very much an essay based subject.

At my school, if a student wishes to study Triple Science then he or she can only choose one other option (Geography, History, Music, Art etc). Is it not the same at your school? With Triple Science there is a lot more work and I'm just wondering where your teachers get the time from to teach it - do you not do PE or RE?
x beffy x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i picked maths, english lit, english lang, triple science, history, french, IT, geology and they are hard to keep up with...

TRIPLE SCIENCE:
in yr 10 you do 2 multi-choice exams of each science (2 chem, 2 bio, 2 phys in total) both easy in my opinion
in yr 11 you do (for each science) 2 short answer exams which i havent done yet but look easy

HISTORY:
up to you with this one cus it is quite hard and needs alot of work contributed into it - you have 4 exams, 2 yr 10 & 2 yr 11, to complete with this

French is easy, but cant say bout resistant materials is that technology or somethin?

DOUBLE SCIENCE:
if in top 2 groups/sets: bio + chem exams as above and physics coursework
if in other sets/groups: bio + chem exams as above

and btw IT is really good you get to make animations, websites, loads but you have to do reviews for EVERYTHING
Sociology is good to have on your CV
Geography lots of coursework
Business dunno about

hope i helped >_<
Kalliope
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Arsenal4Gunners)
Hi guys its my first thread on TSR so i'm still getting used to things. I just have a few questions about options in year 9. The subjects I will be taking for gcse at the moment are:
English
Maths
Science*
Resistant Materials
History
French
*I would like to become a doctor so should I take triple science or double award?
- Also i'm not sure what to do for my last option either geography,ict,business or sociology

I would just like some much needed advice in what would help me most to becoming a doctor. I know i sound stupid but i would appreciate advice
If you are reasonably good at Science (as one would hope, given your aiming at medicine) then I would definitely take triple science.
As for the others: I do Geography and find it boring but easy - it's easily the most respected of those choices. ICT is useful but mainly coursework based, which I find annoying - would that sort of learning style suit you? The other two are potentially a bit "soft", but I always thought sociology sounded fascinating. What would you LIKE to do the most? Which content do you think you'd enjoy?
Implo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Resistant materials is ALOT of work, at my school out of a class of about 30 people, 3 of them are the only ones that are going to pass, the rest have given up because it's to much work for them, so be willing to do alot of work if so, and triple science, make sure you do ALOT of revision, others probably won't be bothered in your class, and the 2nd set of exams come really quickly, so be prepared.
Millyshyn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Your options don't seem too bad, go for what you think you will enjoy the most. Personally when picking my options I went for graphics/art/music + dual award science instead of triple and really regret not doing triple because of the amount of hours I'm having to spend after school doing graphics and music and doing lots of art coursework at home, whereas I find science very easy to understand and remember. So, to anyone picking too many artsy subjects I'd say, go for more science, because less coursework = win... You're not one of those.

MOST of the people I know who took business really don't enjoy so unless you're really interested in business, don't take it as a ''filler'', you'll probably regret not taking something more useful.
Millyshyn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by x beffy x)
i picked maths, english lit, english lang, triple science, history, french, IT, geology and they are hard to keep up with...

TRIPLE SCIENCE:
in yr 10 you do 2 multi-choice exams of each science (2 chem, 2 bio, 2 phys in total) both easy in my opinion
in yr 11 you do (for each science) 2 short answer exams which i havent done yet but look easy

HISTORY:
up to you with this one cus it is quite hard and needs alot of work contributed into it - you have 4 exams, 2 yr 10 & 2 yr 11, to complete with this

French is easy, but cant say bout resistant materials is that technology or somethin?

DOUBLE SCIENCE:
if in top 2 groups/sets: bio + chem exams as above and physics coursework
if in other sets/groups: bio + chem exams as above

and btw IT is really good you get to make animations, websites, loads but you have to do reviews for EVERYTHING
Sociology is good to have on your CV
Geography lots of coursework
Business dunno about

hope i helped >_<
Those science exams sound really weird, what exam board is this? :s
For AQA you take 1 exam from each unit, with questions with varying difficulty where you have to write your own answer. So if taking triple you do 3 exams in each science at the end of each unit. You do Unit of each science simultaneously, then unit 2 etc.
Im pretty sure geography is all controlled assessment now so it's not very hard.
emmaarr
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Arsenal4Gunners)
English
Maths
Science*
Resistant Materials
History
French

Hey
I took History, French and Graphics, and triple science, and am now studying A Levels.
Firstly, definitely take triple science if you have the chance to- I did, and I loved it. It may also help you with science a levels, which you'll have to take to become a doctor.
As for RM, History and French, they are a really good set. History is hard but rewarding, and is a well looked upon subject, as is French- and having a second language is always a bonus. RM will give your subjects diversity.
As for your fourth option, I didn't take any of those, but I had to take a compulsory ICT, which I found boring, but probably because I had to do it. Take whichever interests you most, as none will particularly help/stop you becoming a doctor.
Hope this helps
zeezee06
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hello
If you want to do medicine, do triple science! It isnt' a compulsory requirement for med school, but it does go into more detail and it bridges the huge gap between GCSE science and AS sciences. So really, its making it easier for you.
As for your last option, I would do ICT if I were you, its a good qualification to have.
All in all, you have a good mix of subjects and I wish you the best in your GCSEs
Diety
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
do triple award if you want to do anything science based. For your last option, do which ever you like best because if you enjoy it, you will find putting in the effort easier. Good luck
Wodeford
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would do Sociology for your fourth and swap French for business...
Kidneyjean
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
With regard to science, take triple. Some of my AS stuff (not much, but some) was covered in my triple module for GCSE biology, and you'll want to get as much A-level preparation as possible to be able to 'jump the gap' between GCSE and AS.
Also, you'll want to rack up as many A/A* grades as you can at GCSE; if you're aiming for medicine, you should be aiming for A/A* in all your sciences, and 3A/A* will be more useful than 2A/A*.

For your fourth option, pick whatever you want :P You've already got solid options (as well as English Bac subjects, not that anyone cares much), so it's really up to you. With that last option, it's more about the grade than the subject.
Implo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am really going to encourage you not to do resistant materials as you don't have a career option, really the amount of people who regret it is crazy, trust me please, for your sake really think of something else! I know you think I'll put the work in blah blah blah but you'll get to a point where you wish you didn't have to, please think about it, I hope I can save one person. Anyway triple would be a good option but it isn't necessary, if you think your good at science and are in quite a high set I'd say go for it. I wouldn't recommend IT unless your school do OCR national award, the other 3 are all okay do the one you'd enjoy the most.
und
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Wodeford)
I would do Sociology for your fourth and swap French for business...
I don't know if this person is being sarcastic, but definitely take a language GCSE as some medical schools, such as UCL, are already requiring it as part of their admissions criteria.
Trump glue4free
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
U have to do french because thats part of the eback which will help u get in a medicine school,i have to choose my options now too and ive been repeatedly told to choose a language so this is what i might choose: geography
Art
French
Media studies
Ps-i want to get in medicine school too so im doing A LOT of research right now to see what i should pick
Meridian-S
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm in the same boat as you, i'm taking 11 GCSE's:

Mandatory:
Maths
Further Maths (Recently Confirmed)
English Literature
English language
Religious Studies

Options:
Triple Science
History
Computer Science (Hasn't been confirmed yet)
Business or Psychology (Haven't decided yet)

I recommend having either/and a second Humanity, so Geography in your case, and definitely Triple Science; it's very hard to become a doctor without the qualification. Good Luck!!!
Shannon2003
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I need help! I want to be a GP and I am currently choosing my opinion. I am going down the Ebacc route. I am choosing textiles, French, health and social, geography, triple science, maths and English do you think my choices are ok because my mom doesn't think it's a good choice and that I should choose more academic but my form tutor and my friends think it doesn't matter about my choice and I just have to have my core subject and a language if I want to go to uni plus I have my A levels to do the most important things out of these. Who should I listen to? I have done a lot of research into what qualifications I need and I am prepared.
streetdude28
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Trump glue4free)
U have to do french because thats part of the eback which will help u get in a medicine school,i have to choose my options now too and ive been repeatedly told to choose a language so this is what i might choose: geography
Art
French
Media studies
Ps-i want to get in medicine school too so im doing A LOT of research right now to see what i should pick
(Original post by Meridian-S)
I'm in the same boat as you, i'm taking 11 GCSE's:

Mandatory:
Maths
Further Maths (Recently Confirmed)
English Literature
English language
Religious Studies

Options:
Triple Science
History
Computer Science (Hasn't been confirmed yet)
Business or Psychology (Haven't decided yet)

I recommend having either/and a second Humanity, so Geography in your case, and definitely Triple Science; it's very hard to become a doctor without the qualification. Good Luck!!!
I'm just wondering, why are you commenting? This was a thread 6 years ago???
streetdude28
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Shannon2003)
I need help! I want to be a GP and I am currently choosing my opinion. I am going down the Ebacc route. I am choosing textiles, French, health and social, geography, triple science, maths and English do you think my choices are ok because my mom doesn't think it's a good choice and that I should choose more academic but my form tutor and my friends think it doesn't matter about my choice and I just have to have my core subject and a language if I want to go to uni plus I have my A levels to do the most important things out of these. Who should I listen to? I have done a lot of research into what qualifications I need and I am prepared.
Don't worry, those choices are fine. In my opinion though, I would choose mare academic subjects, I want to get into a tough college but it really just depends on your grade at the end of it if you're not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (36)
24.83%
Unhappy (40)
27.59%
Conflicted (69)
47.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise