Courses and Application Statistics Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Having seen numerous threads about courses and people applying I have been wondering if anyone could shed some light on the following:

Out of all courses on offer what is the most popular in terms of number of applications as a subject area? (i.e. Medicine, English etc...)

Any ideas what the most oversuscribed course in the country is? I heard that Television Studies had something like 3500 people applying for 2 courses each of which had 50 places. Also apparantly some of the major Uni's are vastly oversuscribed for "qudos" (spelling?) courses such as Law.

Anyone know what the least suscribed course is? Some of the science degrees at U.M.I.S.T. are so unpopular that a friend of mine got let in with CCD despite them asking for BBB. Also Universities that are "at the end of the motorway" (Hull, Aberdeen) must have a problem attracting students due to their location.

I bet that Pencil Queen will be in on this one, she seems to be the font of all knowledge when it comes to statistics.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
1. Technically "Z No preferred subject line" - people applying for 6 courses which don't all fit into one catagory...but realistically Computer Science recieves the highest (or did in 2002) with 19,227 applicants (and each applicant makes on average 5 applications). The top 10 are:
W2 - Design studies 18948
M1 - Law by Area 16088
N2 - Management studies 15998
C8 - Psychology 13615
A1 - Pre-clinical Medicine 11935
X1 - Training Teachers 11729
N1 - Business studies 10824
Q3 - English studies 9313
B7 - Nursing 8752

Of course if business and management are counted as one (which they were before 2002) then they are by far the biggest area.

2. Ignoring oddities (like 148 applications/place for subjects allied to medicine at thames valley...very small numbers produce very silly stats), the most popular uni/subject combination was either Technologies (J courses) at Leeds Met (25.8 apps/place) or Business and management at Bristol (25.7 apps/place). The most popular uni for media studies (considering the size of the intake) was Birmingham with 685 applications for 45 places (15.22), Goldsmiths came in with 14.5, John Moores at 12.8 and Bournemouth at 10.7...although this is for all media/information/communication courses and the numbers likely vary within universities.

3. The most unpopular course (of a reasonable size) appears to be Law :eek: at Surrey with 17 applicants for 63 places (0.3 apps/place - they fill their numbers up using clearing). UMIST's most unpopular subject appears to be technologies (J courses again) with only 2.6 applications/place.

Source: UCAS annual datasets Subject and Inst/Subj/domicile 2002
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
LOL I knew I could have found that all on the UCAS website but thought that I would let Pencil Queen do the trawling for me .
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
LOL I knew I could have found that all on the UCAS website but thought that I would let Pencil Queen do the trawling for me .

If I wasn't looking into this sort of information anyway I'd be cross
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)

If I wasn't looking into this sort of information anyway I'd be cross
Pencil Queen, would it be possible for you to find me some statistics for undergraduate entry for Physics at Oxford?

e.g.) applications to places ratio's etc. especially for the current year.

i tried looking, but struggled to find anything.

would really appreciate it.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Pencil Queen, would it be possible for you to find me some statistics for undergraduate entry for Physics at Oxford?

e.g.) applications to places ratio's etc. especially for the current year.

i tried looking, but struggled to find anything.

would really appreciate it.
The current yrs stats wont be available until a little over a year from now (the places part of the ratio comes from the number of people who end up at a uni in September not from how many a uni says it wants).

For 2002 there were 823 applications for 383 places on Physical Science courses (chemistry, physics, materials science, geology, oceanography, geography BSc and environmental sciences), 2.14 apps/place. I can't get access to any data down to subject level but I'm sure if you asked someone at Oxford they'd be happy to let you know the No of physics applications they've had this yr and assuming the number of places wont change that should give you some idea.
ben2111
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The current yrs stats wont be available until a little over a year from now (the places part of the ratio comes from the number of people who end up at a uni in September not from how many a uni says it wants).

For 2002 there were 823 applications for 383 places on Physical Science courses (chemistry, physics, materials science, geology, oceanography, geography BSc and environmental sciences), 2.14 apps/place. I can't get access to any data down to subject level but I'm sure if you asked someone at Oxford they'd be happy to let you know the No of physics applications they've had this yr and assuming the number of places wont change that should give you some idea.
Pencil Queen you are amazing... I did not understand all these statistical data on the ucas page (if that is your source for this abundance of figures).
By the way, I also applied for physics and was wandering that some unis brag with high app/place rations, e.g. Nottingham claims to have 7 applicants for one place in physics. Is that possible? I thoght physics wasn´t popular at all.
Thanks! :cool:
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
1. Technically "Z No preferred subject line" - people applying for 6 courses which don't all fit into one catagory...but realistically Computer Science recieves the highest (or did in 2002) with 19,227 applicants (and each applicant makes on average 5 applications). The top 10 are:
W2 - Design studies 18948
M1 - Law by Area 16088
N2 - Management studies 15998
C8 - Psychology 13615
A1 - Pre-clinical Medicine 11935
X1 - Training Teachers 11729
N1 - Business studies 10824
Q3 - English studies 9313
B7 - Nursing 8752

Of course if business and management are counted as one (which they were before 2002) then they are by far the biggest area.

2. Ignoring oddities (like 148 applications/place for subjects allied to medicine at thames valley...very small numbers produce very silly stats), the most popular uni/subject combination was either Technologies (J courses) at Leeds Met (25.8 apps/place) or Business and management at Bristol (25.7 apps/place). The most popular uni for media studies (considering the size of the intake) was Birmingham with 685 applications for 45 places (15.22), Goldsmiths came in with 14.5, John Moores at 12.8 and Bournemouth at 10.7...although this is for all media/information/communication courses and the numbers likely vary within universities.

3. The most unpopular course (of a reasonable size) appears to be Law :eek: at Surrey with 17 applicants for 63 places (0.3 apps/place - they fill their numbers up using clearing). UMIST's most unpopular subject appears to be technologies (J courses again) with only 2.6 applications/place.

Source: UCAS annual datasets Subject and Inst/Subj/domicile 2002
Why was Law at Surrey so unpopular? I thought it was a perfectly reputable uni????
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ben2111)
Pencil Queen you are amazing... I did not understand all these statistical data on the ucas page (if that is your source for this abundance of figures).
By the way, I also applied for physics and was wandering that some unis brag with high app/place rations, e.g. Nottingham claims to have 7 applicants for one place in physics. Is that possible? I thoght physics wasn´t popular at all.
Thanks! :cool:
Don't forget that every applicant makes on average 5 applications - so even if a university gets 5 apps/place it's possible that only 1 in 5 of those applications are from applicants who want to study at that uni...however oxbridge are in the fortunate position of knowing that almost 100% of their applications are form applicants who would choose them given the offers so oxbridge have surprisingly low app/place ratios.

For physical sciences (chem, physics, geog BSc, geol, ocean, env. sci) Nottingham got 2913 applications for 383 places, 7.6 apps/place in 2002. If you looked at applicants per place however the number would be closer to 1.5.

As for Surrey and Law being so unpopular I'm at a loss...I can only imagine that London sucks up most of their applications and they end up having to recruit from the LSE/UCL/Kings rejects during clearing (not that that means their recruiting poor quality students they just don't get chosen initially - probably a law student trait to aim high)
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't forget that every applicant makes on average 5 applications - so even if a university gets 5 apps/place it's possible that only 1 in 5 of those applications are from applicants who want to study at that uni...however oxbridge are in the fortunate position of knowing that almost 100% of their applications are form applicants who would choose them given the offers so oxbridge have surprisingly low app/place ratios.

For physical sciences (chem, physics, geog BSc, geol, ocean, env. sci) Nottingham got 2913 applications for 383 places, 7.6 apps/place in 2002. If you looked at applicants per place however the number would be closer to 1.5.

As for Surrey and Law being so unpopular I'm at a loss...I can only imagine that London sucks up most of their applications and they end up having to recruit from the LSE/UCL/Kings rejects during clearing (not that that means their recruiting poor quality students they just don't get chosen initially - probably a law student trait to aim high)
Thanks for the enlightenment!!! That makes perfect sense. You are a walking dictionary
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It is interesting to note that UMIST is very unpopular for technology courses. I think UMIST is currently suffering from an image problem for being a university for geeks so this puts a lot of people of applying.

When they merge with Manchester I think the reputation problem will be solved so these courses will be popular again.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
It is interesting to note that UMIST is very unpopular for technology courses. I think UMIST is currently suffering from an image problem for being a university for geeks so this puts a lot of people of applying.

When they merge with Manchester I think the reputation problem will be solved so these courses will be popular again.
UMIST isn't that unpopular - technology courses are.

For subjects allied to med (I know UMIST do a cracking opthalmology course - a friend did it) they get 12.2 apps/place, and for business they got 9.5 apps/place, for science and engineering they get about 6.9apps/place but thats about average
Cacambo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Pencil Queen, is it possible to find any info on application/place stats for Russian and/or French?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Cacambo)
Pencil Queen, is it possible to find any info on application/place stats for Russian and/or French?
I can get overall stats for Russian or French (but not combinations - the numbers are too small) or I can get by university stats for european languages.

For french in 2002 there were 503 people applying (~2515 applications) for 787 places - 3.2 apps/place. For Russian there were 52 applicants (~260 applications) for 106 places - 2.5 apps/place.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (530)
66.75%
No (264)
33.25%

Watched Threads