Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think I started to fancy a guy on my course. He is a 2nd year and I am a 1st year. We met in the workroom last week, I dunno why we started talking to each other, maybe we I was stuck with something dunno what to do and I just grasp a random person to ask. Since we started talking, we talk a little more everyday. Everyday we go the workroom to do our projects, so we get to see each other everyday... almost... all we would talk at the moment is still things around our projects, so nothing personal, I always wanna start talking something else, but dunno how and where to start.

It looks to me he is just a nice and polite guy to everyone and I can see him talking to other people as well like he talks to me, but when we go, either I leave or he leaves the workroom, I mean when we see each other packing up, we would ask each other "where r u going?" and "I will see you in a bit / tomorrow" etc. Like today, when I was packing, I waned to say goodbye to him but I thought as he is working somewhere, I would just leave, but he saw me packing up and came to me and ask am I going home, I felt kind of happy at that moment...

I dunno what does he think of me, and I dun wanna ask, coz we are still not friends yet (only met last week), but it seen like if we r both around, he would talk to me than other people in teh room, except his 2nd year friends (of cause). I wanna get to know him more and dun really have to be a couple in the end, but pehaps good friends would make me happy, even beter if we can go out... but I will let it go naturally...

Now the problem is he is an English and I am a Chinese, and some English people would only go out with English and never Asian, can be really good friends but no relationships... I dunno which type he is... I mean I dun even know has he got a girlfriend or not btw... Also, it looks to me with imagination, he is suitble with some pretty girls but I am not at all... so... but I could be wrong... I HOPE...

I dunno am I thinking too much, maybe he is just a very nice guy and being nice to me as he normally would to everyone, but I think I really am starting to like him...

Sometimes when you first meet some people, you would immediately like them or hate them by the way they act, this guy is certainly "like" and no "hate" at all.

I also started to look for him for the first thing when I go into the workroom and look for my space 2nd, which is somehing never happened before...

What shall I do now?

I used to wear a ring in my middle finger, it's just a gift from my mum, but always people ask me hv I got a boyfriend... btu I have taken it off now not wearing it anymore, hope it would make it a little clear that I am single...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the race issue will matter much when at uni, especially when it comes to university. I think it's a bit too early yet to ask him. Give it another week or so and then ask for his MSN or something so that you can start chatting online. Then it should become much easier to chat about personal stuff, and hopefully, you will know each other much better. I mean, if you will always see each other in the work room, then most likely you will always be chatting about work or one of you is busy.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, u r right, sometimes when he wants to talk to me, I am thinking about my work and not paying attention, and it's the same when I wanna talk to him. Or I actually get nervous to start chat with him...

ReputationRep:
    ask him if he wants a shag.

ReputationRep:
    If you know he will continue to be in the workroom for a long time to come, ask for his email and/or his mobile number in about a week unless of course he asks for yours first. Then maybe ask him out for coffee/to the pub once both of you have finished your work on one day.

ReputationRep:
    here is some tips i gathered from thestudentroom, credit to whoever posted them lol

him

just go up to him like after class and talk, ask about homework, then the convo develops

also you may try make some jokes on in class if it is possible, make him laugh so at least she will know that u exist

if he's good at academics ,tell him that you need help, if he's bad at it, go and complain to himabout how school sucks smile.gif

and also do not go up too him the first time and ask him whats ur name, where u live, how old are you and where are you from? cause that will make u sound like a total n00b and stalker.............

just ask short open questions like what music are you into? have you heard the new track by coldplay? last night's episode of lost was excellent IMO....

and to start the conversation off, sit next to him on the bus or in the classroom or in the canteen and ask him 'do you mind if i can sit here?' and start a random conversation. if him is listening to a ipod, start a conversation about music or ask a question about ipods. if he is reading a newpaper, talk about the main headline or about football.

and when u meet him in like the corridor, just smile at him and say hi

if he likes u he will keep talking to you, if not he will be just like smile at u and just shrug u off sooner or later

ReputationRep:
    Don't do the msn thing. Face to face contact is much better. Try joking around with him and flirting a little. Be friendly, but remember that you don't want to just be his friend so there should always be a flirtatious dimension to it from the outset otherwise he will begin to see you as platonic.

Also, I know lots of English guys who find Chinese women very attractive. I think they can be absolutely stunning, and I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like he is making the effort to talk to you already and that's a good sign.

ReputationRep:
    Well said there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puiyin)

...Now the problem is he is an English and I am a Chinese, and some English people would only go out with English and never Asian, can be really good friends but no relationships... ...
    Dont let this be a problem - most of my guy friends find Chinese girls Hot! I've never heard that an english person would only go out with an english person - just smile and go for it... he sounds like he likes you - let it develop!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I am kind of happy today, bocz today the workrooom was main for the 2nd year to use and if there's any spare space, any other people can use it (each years get a day in a week)... And of cause I went there today partly bcoz I had work to finish, but I think more bcoz yesterday he said "I will see you tomoro!" when I left last night... so kind of wanted to see him really. There was quite a few of his friends there and he indeed talked to them, but he also talked to me as well... although things we talked were still around work... I could kind of see the different between me and other friends of mine in my year that he treats, he still likes talk to me more... maybe bcoz he met me first (I wish not just bcoz of this, more bcoz he likes me, even just as a normal friend).

2 things I felt happy about - 1 is he actually remember my name, coz my name is a Chinese name, so even people on my course had to keep on asking me for at least 3 or 4 time in order to remember it, but I have ever only told him once... 2 is when he left, he again said good bye to me... I knew he was going and he was with his friend, so I didn't say bye first or didn't even look at them... coz I felt a bit nervous, but in my heart deeply, I really wanted to hear a good bye and he said it in the end...

We wil be finishing off our projects by the end of next week and I dunno will he go to the workroom anymore, it sounds like he wouldn't, coz everybody is having enough... and x'mas hoilday is coming, so I might not see him again like this after next week... he seem like a very busy guy with part time work and placements etc. so what shall I do to keep in touch with him after the projects? Wanna have his number and MSN etc, but it would be awful if I just go to him and ask on a purpose or sth... I wanna do in in the most natural way...

ReputationRep:
    Also, as I said we will be finishing off our project next week and I said to him today as a joke that we should go and celebrate and he kind of said yes. Shall I ask him properly to go out for a night? If we did, it wouldn't be only me and him, coz that woldl be too quick and odd. It would be a lot of people, I think... do you guys think I should organize a night out including both 1st and 2nd year, so I would than maybe get a chance to get to know him more... but then a group of ppl might make him only be with his friends...

ReputationRep:
    you should do the night out thing... it'll be more natural... and he can always talk to you even if his friends are there if he likes you, he will!

ReputationRep:
    The "yay, we're done with our projects..let's go out and celebrate" idea is cute. Or you could just randomly ask him what he's doing on saturday or what he usually does on the weekends or something...try getting to know him a little better without making it too obvious that you'd love to know everything about him Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I have got one more week to get his number or sth, but my work is just going too smooth, which I should be happy, but I have basically done my project, apart from the written work, but I dun need to be in the workroom to do my essays, so Monday is the last chance I might see him in a natural way in the workroom, coz I have got sth about the work to tell him anyway. And then I would have no reason to go to the workroom... so how shall I get his number or MSN or some kind of contact on Monday but no too obvious??

Shall I ask him about the going out after projects again and use that as an excuse to get his contact??

I know some of you think getting MSN is not as good as talking face to face, but as I might not see him again, do u think I should get his MSN? Coz I think it's probably better than number, so I can maybe chat some random things wiht him when he is online rather randomly text him??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puiyin)
    I have got one more week to get his number or sth, but my work is just going too smooth, which I should be happy, but I have basically done my project, apart from the written work, but I dun need to be in the workroom to do my essays, so Monday is the last chance I might see him in a natural way in the workroom, coz I have got sth about the work to tell him anyway. And then I would have no reason to go to the workroom... so how shall I get his number or MSN or some kind of contact on Monday but no too obvious??

Shall I ask him about the going out after projects again and use that as an excuse to get his contact??

I know some of you think getting MSN is not as good as talking face to face, but as I might not see him again, do u think I should get his MSN? Coz I think it's probably better than number, so I can maybe chat some random things wiht him when he is online rather randomly text him??
    Msn would be the best idea for now, atleast that way neither of you can think the other is coming on abit to strong, which could happen if you swapped numbers right now.
    As for asking him just ask him you would like it so you could both catch up sometime and perhaps help eachother with work?
    Basically for now try to make it sound like a friendly offer rather than anything more

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 19, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.