The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Take it to Chelsea FC and shoot someone, no problem
doubt you will. nobody will even notice you have it
It'll be fine.
Reply 4
So long as people think it's a guitar or other musical instrument you should be fine.

Perhaps keep the ammunition hidden in a completely separate bag too, if you're transporting that too?
Reply 5
I went to Israel once, got in during the early evening, and on the way from the airport ot Tel Aviv, the bus went by a few army training camps where teens were training (I'm guessing they were probably cadets - aged amy 16 - 20). Anyways, a lot of them were on their way home and got on to thesame bus as me, carrying M16s.... I found that odd at first.

Anyways, I suppose you should be ok if its not loaded.... If in doubt, I'd contact these people for advice: http://www.basc.org.uk/en/codes-of-practice/air-rifles.cfm
Sorry? You are travelling on the weekend with a virgin and going to hijack a train?? Eh, can't 'ear ya???
Reply 7
Definitely keep the ammunition in a separate bag and if possbile keep both bags secured so that neither can easily be opened, if you are concerned about getting about getting stopped it might be worth having the purchase receipt for the rifle with you, that way you can prove where you've bought it from.

If you are stopped or encounter a police knife arch, you are carrying the rifle in a responsible manner, it is not easily accessible and you have legitimate reason for carrying it under the Offensive Weapons Act, so the police won't have grounds for confiscating it or charging you.

In my experience of carrying swords on public transport if you are behaving in a sensible manner and the rifle is wrapped you won't have any problems.

Raven
Double dare you to get it out and clean it while staring at a single passenger for the entire trip.

Triple dare you!
Gun in a discreet bag, preferably one that isn't gun-shaped. Lock the bag if possible. Keep the ammunition somewhere separate.

Not a bad idea to remove some small but vital part, let's say the trigger, and keep it separate to the gun. Even if the gun is stolen, the missing trigger renders it useless.
Reply 10
Out of curiosity, is it in fact illegal to carry an air rifle on a train or not? I also own one and although it has never left my house/garden it'd be useful to know :smile: OP: As others have said, keep the pellets somewhere completely separate, and don't look shifty haha :smile:
Original post by Wookie42
Out of curiosity, is it in fact illegal to carry an air rifle on a train or not? I also own one and although it has never left my house/garden it'd be useful to know :smile: OP: As others have said, keep the pellets somewhere completely separate, and don't look shifty haha :smile:

Legal if you have a legitimate reason for taking it, and it's secure and obviously non-threatening.
As long as it is unloaded, securely wrapped, you are behaving in a sensible manner and have a legitimate reason for carrying it, ie:- going to a gun club, etc then it is entirely legal for you to transport it via public transport under the Offensive Weapons Act.

The idea of removing a vital part from the rifle and keeping it in a different bag is a very good idea.

Raven
Reply 13
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Legal if you have a legitimate reason for taking it, and it's secure and obviously non-threatening.

Thanks, good to know :smile:
Anyone under the age of 18 but over the age of 14 can legally carry any air weapon as long as it is concealed correctly either in a case or slip and so nobody can feel you're a threat to them or others.
Reply 15
Locking this as it's 6 years old. If you want to continue the discussion, please create a new thread ^_^

Latest