This discussion is closed.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
The spacebars gone on my laptop i'm having to use a plug in keyboard. Does anyone know if its fixable I've only had it since August bloody thing!
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
The spacebars gone on my laptop i'm having to use a plug in keyboard. Does anyone know if its fixable I've only had it since August bloody thing!
Whats wrong with it?
Is it physical (the button's stuck or something), or technical (problems internally)
Physical problems are easily fixed, while technical ones aren't.
If you've had it sinse august, shouldn't there be some sort of warrenty on it still?
viviki
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Whats wrong with it?
Is it physical (the button's stuck or something), or technical (problems internally)
Physical problems are easily fixed, while technical ones aren't.
If you've had it sinse august, shouldn't there be some sort of warrenty on it still?
Well my dad bought it so I've no idea I just gave him the money. i presume it must have some sort of warranty. I dont know whats wrong with it. The space bar will go down if you push it but it doesnt do a space on the screen all the other keys are ok. It has been ccrashing a bit lately so maybe it could be internal. The plug in keyboard works ok thank goodness. I guess I'll have to get someone to look at it
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well my dad bought it so I've no idea I just gave him the money. i presume it must have some sort of warranty. I dont know whats wrong with it. The space bar will go down if you push it but it doesnt do a space on the screen all the other keys are ok. It has been ccrashing a bit lately so maybe it could be internal. The plug in keyboard works ok thank goodness. I guess I'll have to get someone to look at it
Yeah, it would be best to get someone to look at it.
Is it possible though to remove the space key?
I know it is on regular keyboards, but i'm not sure about laptops.
Maybe it's simply not pushing down the right bit under the key?
B00kwOrm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Try saving all your data and then wipe your hard drive and re-install everything. It's a pain, but this way you will now for sure if the problem is related to the software or not. I'm no expert, but this looks like this is a hardware problem which should be covered by warranty. You just need to get hold of the receipt.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What make is it? Is it a well known brand such as Sony, Dell, Toshiba, Compaq, IBM etc or is it a just an OEM such as Time, Advent etc? I have found a lot of OEM laptops lacking in quality and the keyboard is always the first thing to go.
mensandan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Whenever my keys get messed up I find that somehow the language bar on my laptop has changed setting from United Kingdon to English USA. Once I change it back everything seems to work fine. You never know, might work.
kikzen
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by B00kwOrm)
Try saving all your data and then wipe your hard drive and re-install everything. It's a pain, but this way you will now for sure if the problem is related to the software or not. I'm no expert, but this looks like this is a hardware problem which should be covered by warranty. You just need to get hold of the receipt.
uh no.

it just sounds to me like a contact has gone. pull up the space bar and put a little tissure in palce of it or something.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You should keep the external keyboard - its better for ergonomics.
researcher
Report 16 years ago
If it's new, it's probably running XP so it might be worth restoring it to an earlier point when it was working OK. That way you wouldn't lose your documents, e-mails etc, just any programmes you've installed (and AV updates). Might not work but it's a really simple one to try (and you can restore it back to the present if it doesn't help.) If you're not sure about Restore Points, let me know & I'll run through it.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by researcher)
If it's new, it's probably running XP so it might be worth restoring it to an earlier point when it was working OK. That way you wouldn't lose your documents, e-mails etc, just any programmes you've installed (and AV updates). Might not work but it's a really simple one to try (and you can restore it back to the present if it doesn't help.) If you're not sure about Restore Points, let me know & I'll run through it.
But this is clearly a hardware problem.
jumahumour
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It is most definitely a hardware problem, a similar thing happened to me the other day. All I did was to remove the space key and wipe the pad and then replace it and it worked fine.

If it is a hardwarde fault that you cannot fix by an elementary standard, then all computers and electrical products come with a 6 months guarantee at least, byt most come with a year.

As long as you can find the receipt you'll be fine
viviki
Rep:
?
(Original post by amazingtrade)
What make is it? Is it a well known brand such as Sony, Dell, Toshiba, Compaq, IBM etc or is it a just an OEM such as Time, Advent etc? I have found a lot of OEM laptops lacking in quality and the keyboard is always the first thing to go.
Its a compaq evo N1015v If that means anything to you. I'll get my dad to look at it next week, hes a computer bod. its just a pain in the meantime because with the plug in keyboard i have to work at my desk but I prefer to work on my bed.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Its a compaq evo N1015v If that means anything to you. I'll get my dad to look at it next week, hes a computer bod. its just a pain in the meantime because with the plug in keyboard i have to work at my desk but I prefer to work on my bed.
Nope but but if its fairly recent it will be Compaq merged with HP so have no experience on the very new machines. The older compaq laptops I have seen have been built like tanks though. I think its just a simple contact problem on the switch for the space bar as others here have said. If its under warranty then if you have a spare PC take it back otherwise just use the other keyboard. Latop repairers charge a fortune I think its like £100 standard charge which is not worth it for such a simple thing.
viviki
Rep:
?
Nope but but if its fairly recent it will be Compaq merged with HP so have no experience on the very new machines. The older compaq laptops I have seen have been built like tanks though. I think its just a simple contact problem on the switch for the space bar as others here have said. If its under warranty then if you have a spare PC take it back otherwise just use the other keyboard. Latop repairers charge a fortune I think its like £100 standard charge which is not worth it for such a simple thing.
I think my dad got it from PC world on the net or something. He said he will have a look at it first he fixes computers for a living so at east he knows what hes doing and he said if he can fix it he will get them out to look at it. He says judging by wht I've said on the phone (I've had a couple of other probs too) that it might need replacing but he has the warranty so he will sort it for me.
He didnt kill me about it so I feel better now. he always goes mad because I am always having computer problems no matter what computer it is. I think I am fated with them.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think my dad got it from PC world on the net or something. He said he will have a look at it first he fixes computers for a living so at east he knows what hes doing and he said if he can fix it he will get them out to look at it. He says judging by wht I've said on the phone (I've had a couple of other probs too) that it might need replacing but he has the warranty so he will sort it for me.
He didnt kill me about it so I feel better now. he always goes mad because I am always having computer problems no matter what computer it is. I think I am fated with them.
i got a laptop (this one i am using) from PC world - they always go wrong dont they
viviki
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
i got a laptop (this one i am using) from PC world - they always go wrong dont they
It doesnt matter what I use and who it belongs to tey always go wrong when I use them.
They know when I have exams and essays and crash on me. I am already on my 2nd printer this year the first one died
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It doesnt matter what I use and who it belongs to tey always go wrong when I use them.
They know when I have exams and essays and crash on me. I am already on my 2nd printer this year the first one died
yes this happened to me all of last year - finally the damn thing is working
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In the days of Dos and Windows 3.1 I was for ever formating my mates PCs and fixing them. Sadly now Windows XP is so stable peoples computers don't go wrong enough for me! I have 3 people wanted me to fix thier pcs but they haven't got back yet. Its "I have got a 10 year computer why does this internet thingy not work it keeps saying modem not found I don't get it." type jobs.

I tend avoid laptops unless they are old in case I damage them. I only have ever repaired my own and replaced my mates floppy drive on one.
viviki
Rep:
?
In the days of Dos and Windows 3.1 I was for ever formating my mates PCs and fixing them. Sadly now Windows XP is so stable peoples computers don't go wrong enough for me! I have 3 people wanted me to fix thier pcs but they haven't got back yet. Its "I have got a 10 year computer why does this internet thingy not work it keeps saying modem not found I don't get it." type jobs.

I tend avoid laptops unless they are old in case I damage them. I only have ever repaired my own and replaced my mates floppy drive on one.
My dad is the god of computers and is really nice to everyone else but he expects me to know everything and when I dont know where my blah connector (think of something technical and insert it there) is he tells me I'm being deliberately stupid. Parents eh
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (386)
67.13%
No (189)
32.87%

Watched Threads