National Insurance contributions when in uni

Watch
Tedd
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
What happens about your National Insurance contributions towards state pension when in full-time education at university?

I presume being in full-time education at uni simply means you miss out on 3/4 years of contributions? :confused:
TomU
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My understanding of the system is:

Unless you're earning £5,044 (as an employee) or £5,075 (self employed) then you'll not be counted as having completed a "qualifying year" towards your state pension. You will need to have accumulated 30 qualifying years before you retire in order to be eligible for a state pension.

So yes, you'll miss out on 3/4 years worth of contributions. But the fact you only need to total 30 years of contributions, should give you plenty of time to catch up - assuming you work until normal retirement age.
SamKB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It's now 35 years contributions to get full pension. You can make voluntary contributions for years up to 6 years ago, so it may be worth doing this once you're earning, especially if you're a mature student with gaps in your NI record.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If you're worried about it, make voluntary contributions. Even if you graduate at 30 and start work, you'll have plenty of time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (890)
42.75%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.88%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads