This discussion is closed.
PaigeSnow
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I don't know if this is just me being stupid, but whats the difference between a neuron and a neurone? My lecturers use it in the same context in biology and psychology, it's well confusing!
Help?
Paige :rolleyes:
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
same
shorty.loves.angels
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm pretty sure there's no difference, it's just two spellings (possibly originating in different countries...?) that have both come to be acceptable. I usually spell it neurone.
ibysaiyan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Neurone : A nerve cell through which action potential propagates.
Neuron: A nerve cell which produces an impulse due to relative changes in the electro-chemical gradient of the medium.

See the difference ?

Spoiler:
Show
They are the same thing

GRRR I am beaten.
Lozzo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Neuron is the American spelling
Dekota-XS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There is no spelling difference American/English wise, a neurone is not the same as a neuron.
Tolth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dekota-XS)
There is no spelling difference American/English wise, a neurone is not the same as a neuron.
No. They are the same thing. You are silly.
Tolth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But yeah, they're the same thing. Neurone is a less common alternative spelling and virtually every modern source will use Neuron.
Revd. Mike
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
I'm pretty sure there's no difference, it's just two spellings (possibly originating in different countries...?) that have both come to be acceptable. I usually spell it neurone.

(Original post by Lozzo)
Neuron is the American spelling

(Original post by Dekota-XS)

(Original post by Tolth)
But yeah, they're the same thing. Neurone is a less common alternative spelling and virtually every modern source will use Neuron.
Just to clarify, they are both the same thing. It's not a regional difference, or an archaic difference, it's simply alternate forms of the word based (IIRC) on different etymological transliteration.

In short: Both terms mean the same thing, both spellings are fine to use, and it is very common to see them presented either way in scientific literature. For stylistic best practice though, you should really choose one that you prefer and be consistent with the spelling.

I work in neuroscience research, btw.
PaigeSnow
Rep:
?
There are so many different opinions! ARGH!
Revd. Mike
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PaigeSnow)
There are so many different opinions! ARGH!
But only one accepted answer, which is that they're the same thing, the terms are interchangeable and frequently both are used, and that it comes down to personal or editorial choice.
PaigeSnow
Rep:
?
Okay, well thanks for clearing that up!
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just use neuron.

It's awful hearing people say 'neurone'.
chloe07
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My biology and psychology teachers do that as well! I'm pretty sure they're the same thing.
Lamptastic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Same thing. I prefer Neuron myself, less letters!
Eloades11
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Isn't it just a nerve cell?
Noreenhashmi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In scientific sources the standard spelling is neuron. The spelling neurone is generally restricted to non-technical contexts, but note that it is usual in motor neurone disease.
Replier!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think they are the same but I was confused too!
CDPN
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PaigeSnow)
I don't know if this is just me being stupid, but whats the difference between a neuron and a neurone? My lecturers use it in the same context in biology and psychology, it's well confusing!
Help?
Paige :rolleyes:
Back in my day if you didn't know the difference you would be shot.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Apart from the last three posts, this thread is 6 years old, and the OP has received a good number of replies. I'm going to close it now.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (21)
16.54%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (42)
33.07%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
9.45%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
10.24%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (6)
4.72%
I think it's an unfair expectation (31)
24.41%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.57%

Watched Threads