Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My school is rather school. We have 100 students and from that like 30 are doing IB. I was wondering what sieze is Your school and what subjects are offered. How many techers do you have?

I ask this question because of my school size i dont have access to many subjects offered by IB.

Subcjets offered by my school are:

Math ( all levels ) Bio, chem, His, Geo, Physic, Art, French, English, Polish, German and i think that's all

ReputationRep:
    my school is really big but less than 50 do IB.

the subjects offered are: english, norwegian, german, french, history, economics, chem, bio, physics, math (also at all levels)

i dont think thats little...

ReputationRep:
    My school is really small (compared to you guys), there are 12 people in my year and we all do IB, in fact we are sort of forced to do IB, we have no choice whatsoever on our subjects (you can get to do a different subject than the ones offered, but you need to get a special permission, study by yourself and get someone to sign saying he/she is your teacher and check over the internal assessment).

ReputationRep:
    My school had one class (30-35) in each year, although they're expanding atm.

Swedish, English A1, Swedish, English, French, German, Spanish B, French, German, Spanish abi (subject to demand), economics, psychology, history, maths (sl only), biology, chemistry (sl only), physics, visual arts.

ReputationRep:
    there are about 30 people in year 13...and we're the biggest class at my school

ReputationRep:
    My school has about 2000 people total (4 grades). Of the 450 people in my grade (12th), about 120 are in IB.

subjects offered: Math (all), English (HL only), history (HL only), psych, econ, theater, bio, chem, physics, environmental, Spanish, French, Chinese, art, music

ReputationRep:
    1200 people // 50 IB2

- All Maths
    - English/Chinese (HL&SL)
    - German/French/Indonesian ab/Chinese/Japansese/Russian (HL&SL)
    - Geography/History/Economics (HL&SL)
    - Biology/Physics/Chemistry (HL&SL)
    - Visual Arts/Theatre Arts/Music (HL&SL)

I think we now have Psychology and Film.

ReputationRep:
    my school has about 1800 people and about 200 in pre-IB and only about 170 in IB...about 80 are testing this may

we've got...hl english, sl spanish, sl french, ab initio french, hl & sl chemistry, hl & sl biology, hl psychology, hl art, sl music, hl & sl history, sl physics, sl economics, sl philosophy, all math (except further) and environmental systems

ReputationRep:
    I went to 2 IB schools:

1st one: 30 ppl in Year 12 (UK system, so 13 years), 9 IBs
    subjects:
    English A1, B
    Chinese A1, A2, B
    Japanese A1
    Korean A1
    Maths (HL, Methods)
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Biology
    Business
    ITGS
    History

2nd one: 130 ppl in Year 11, 33 IBs
    subjects:
    English A1, B
    Chinese A1, B
    French
    German
    Indonesian ab initio
    Spanish ab initio
    Maths (HL/Methods/Studies)
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Physics
    History
    Geography
    Economics
    ITGS
    Art
    Music
    Drama

ReputationRep:
    Student population: 500 students
    Total IB Enrollement: 50

Subjects:

English A1, A2, B (HL and SL)
    French A1 and B (HL + SL)
    Mathematics (Studies +SL)
    Chemistry (HL + SL)
    Physics (HL + SL)
    Biology (HL + SL)
    Economics SL
    Business SL
    Islamic History SL

ReputationRep:
    King You sound like You are taking geography ----> "Student population: 500 students

So from what You write most of the schools which are fairly small dont offer many courses. Even large ones aren't offering so much. It's fairly resonable because keeping a teacher somtimes just for one class is pretty expensive for the school.

I was also wondering about ab inito. Why is that so few schools offer it? Honestly when i was starting IB i didn't even know about existing of ab inito. I would surly take it if i was offered such a course.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know the enrollment at my school, probably 2000 +, about over 200 students, I'm guessing are doing IB throughout the 3 grades at my high school.....the 200+ students taking IB, includes full IB students and partial IB students so my school offers IB for almost everything: german, spanish, french, chinese(mandarin)=both the language and the language arts for the chinese language and french, math, english, history, biology, chemistry, physics, art, music, drama??, info pro[w/e that is :P]...probably forgetting some

ReputationRep:
    My school has 1200 pupils on roll, of which 230 are in Year 12. Of those 230, 19 are doing the IB, including myself. In Year 13, there are around 150, in which 18 are doing the IB. Year 13 were the first year to do the IB.

Subjects offered:

English A1 SL/HL

French B SL/HL
    Spanish B SL/HL
    German B SL/HL
    Italian Ab Initio SL

Economics SL/HL
    Psychology SL/HL
    Geography SL/HL
    Philosophy SL/HL

Chemistry SL/HL
    Biology SL/HL
    Physics SL/HL

Mathematics HL
    Mathematical Studies SL
    Mathematical Methods SL (for those who excel in Studies only, not an accessible option)

Theatre Arts HL
    Art HL
    Music HL

ReputationRep:
    naimslim damn You must be smart guy... Excelent GCSE and hardest subject in IB at higher level... I'm impressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mefju5)
    King You sound like You are taking geography ----> "Student population: 500 students
    Good thinking! Actually, I hate geography !

Regarding the ab intio thing, most students that do the IB in Asia, Africa and parts of Europe are already bilingual. So no one takes ab intio since they already know a native language and another language (usually English, French, and Spanish)

Does that make sense?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Ok. but what is actually ab inito? Is it like learning second language from the begining?

Let's analyze situation:

I'am polish so my native language is polish. I also know English but i would like to start german. Can i take German ab inito?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mefju5)
    naimslim damn You must be smart guy... Excelent GCSE and hardest subject in IB at higher level... I'm impressed.
    Hehe Thank you! Yeah it was bit of a challenge to do Mathematics HL but it's OK so far...

An ab initio language is a language that you learn from the beginning. It is assumed that you have no prior knowledge of the language. I believe you can do German Ab Initio AFAIK!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.