The Student Room Group

A*/High A vocab for French speaking GCSE Holiday

I've already done one speaking assesment on Town and got a B, I lost most marks on pronunciation, which I have really been working on.

I got an A* in my French writing, but I want to know some good speaking vocab to use. It's on holidays the next assesment, anyone got any good phrases/ good ideas of what I could include to get an A*?

x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SarahLeanne
I've already done one speaking assesment on Town and got a B, I lost most marks on pronunciation, which I have really been working on.

I got an A* in my French writing, but I want to know some good speaking vocab to use. It's on holidays the next assesment, anyone got any good phrases/ good ideas of what I could include to get an A*?

x

see the resources in my sig
also have a look on Get Revising
Good luck:wink:
Reply 2
a lot of it is in the detail so whatever you do keep talking (unless you speaking crap in which case move on the next question), try and use lots of colloquial phrases and things that don't have a direct translation - shows you have a grasp of the language and culture, rather than just translating word for word what you want to say.
Reply 3
If it's a formal speaking test then I wouldn't use colloquialisms if I were you, but idiomatic things are fine - welcomed in fact.

When you say vocab about holidays, do you mean specific words or are you looking for phrases that will help you structure answers to questions? I am doing Advanced Higher French (Scottish exam) and starting it at uni in Sept. so I hope I can help. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by becko37
If it's a formal speaking test then I wouldn't use colloquialisms if I were you, but idiomatic things are fine - welcomed in fact.

When you say vocab about holidays, do you mean specific words or are you looking for phrases that will help you structure answers to questions? I am doing Advanced Higher French (Scottish exam) and starting it at uni in Sept. so I hope I can help. :smile:

just phrases that would look good :smile: the help would be much appreciated :smile: x
Reply 5
just phrases that would look good :smile: the help would be much appreciated :smile: x

General vocab for discussion:

En ce qui concerne X - as far as X is concerned
C'est-à-dire - that's to say
Dans le sense que - in the sense that
Ce que j'aime le plus - what I like the most...
Ce que j'aimais le plus - what I liked the most...
De nos jours - nowadays
A l'heure actuelle - nowadays
Il y en a qui pensent/croient... - there are those who think/believe...
A mon avis - in my opinion
Quant à moi - as for me
Il s'agit - it's about (good for describing plots of films/books)
Après avoir + past participle - after having done X
Avant de + infinitive - before doing X
J'ai appris beaucoup au sujet de - I learnt a lot about...

Vocab specific to holidays:

se relaxer - to relax
se détendre - to relax
j'avais la possibilité de + infinitive - I had the possibility/chance to
améliorer mes connaissances linguistiques - to improve my linguistic skills
faire des amitiés solides - to make strong/good friendships
Pendant mon séjour - during my stay
j'ai logé chez une famille français - I stayed with a French family
je m'entendais très bien avec X - I got on very well with X
C'était une expérience très utile dans le sens que - it was a very useful experience in the sense that
apprendre à parler le français plus couramment - to learn to speak French more fluently
mes vacances de rêves seraient + infinitive - my dream holiday would be to...

Hope that is helpful; it's all I can remember off the top of my head. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by becko37
General vocab for discussion:

En ce qui concerne X - as far as X is concerned
C'est-à-dire - that's to say
Dans le sense que - in the sense that
Ce que j'aime le plus - what I like the most...
Ce que j'aimais le plus - what I liked the most...
De nos jours - nowadays
A l'heure actuelle - nowadays
Il y en a qui pensent/croient... - there are those who think/believe...
A mon avis - in my opinion
Quant à moi - as for me
Il s'agit - it's about (good for describing plots of films/books)
Après avoir + past participle - after having done X
Avant de + infinitive - before doing X
J'ai appris beaucoup au sujet de - I learnt a lot about...

Vocab specific to holidays:

se relaxer - to relax
se détendre - to relax
j'avais la possibilité de + infinitive - I had the possibility/chance to
améliorer mes connaissances linguistiques - to improve my linguistic skills
faire des amitiés solides - to make strong/good friendships
Pendant mon séjour - during my stay
j'ai logé chez une famille français - I stayed with a French family
je m'entendais très bien avec X - I got on very well with X
C'était une expérience très utile dans le sens que - it was a very useful experience in the sense that
apprendre à parler le français plus couramment - to learn to speak French more fluently
mes vacances de rêves seraient + infinitive - my dream holiday would be to...

Hope that is helpful; it's all I can remember off the top of my head. :smile:

Thank you so much!! :smile: definitely going to use some of this in my speaking exam!! :smile: x

x

if you want I can email you my convo prompts and powerpoints on french vocab. (I got full marks on my speaking last year so they may be of help).
Reply 12
Original post by Insanity514
if you want I can email you my convo prompts and powerpoints on french vocab. (I got full marks on my speaking last year so they may be of help).

That would be amazing!! my email is [email protected] - it would be so helpful if you could :smile: x

OH - just seen them, I've downloaded them and they look great help!! Thank you soo much! :smile: x
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13

Please can you help me!! I have done some phrases and want to know if they are correct or not, I wouldn't ask if I wasn't desperate. My teacher isn't allowed to go through them with me.

J’adore lu sur la plage. - This is meant to say I love reading on the beach.

Après avoir shopping, j'ai nagé dans la piscine. - This is meant to say After shopping, I swam in the pool.

En Espagne, la plupart de temps, il faisait du soleil et chaud, mais le mardi il pleuvait bien que il faisait chaud. - This is meant to say In spain, most of the time, it was sunny and hot, but on Tuesday it rained although it was hot.

Au parc aquatique, j’ai nagé avec les dauphins. J'avais peur mais c’était trés amusant! - This is meant to say At the water park, I swam with dolphins. I was afraid but it was very fun!

c’était mon anniversaire J'avais quinze ans. La viande était très délicieuse,mais de telle manière c´était cher. - This is meant to say It was my birthday - I was fifteen years old. The meal was very delicious but it was so expensive.

any help would be very much appreciated
Thank you
Please can you help me!! I have done some phrases and want to know if they are correct or not, I wouldn't ask if I wasn't desperate. My teacher isn't allowed to go through them with me.

J’adore lu sur la plage. - This is meant to say I love reading on the beach.

Après avoir shopping, j'ai nagé dans la piscine. - This is meant to say After shopping, I swam in the pool.

En Espagne, la plupart de temps, il faisait du soleil et chaud, mais le mardi il pleuvait bien que il faisait chaud. - This is meant to say In spain, most of the time, it was sunny and hot, but on Tuesday it rained although it was hot.

Au parc aquatique, j’ai nagé avec les dauphins. J'avais peur mais c’était trés amusant! - This is meant to say At the water park, I swam with dolphins. I was afraid but it was very fun!

c’était mon anniversaire J'avais quinze ans. La viande était très délicieuse,mais de telle manière c´était cher. - This is meant to say It was my birthday - I was fifteen years old. The meal was very delicious but it was so expensive.

Thank you

Well it has been a while since I've done any French. It mostly seems fine, but don't trust my opinion as I've forgotten a lot. However where you say La viande it does not mean meal it means meat as far as I know. So you should probably change that.
Reply 15
Well it has been a while since I've done any French. It mostly seems fine, but don't trust my opinion as I've forgotten a lot. However where you say La viande it does not mean meal it means meat as far as I know. So you should probably change that.

Thank you so much :smile: x
Reply 16
Original post by sarahleanne
please can you help me!! I have done some phrases and want to know if they are correct or not, i wouldn't ask if i wasn't desperate. My teacher isn't allowed to go through them with me.

J’adore lire à la plage . - this is meant to say i love reading on the beach.
see here http://edufire.com/classes/10836-when-to-use-dans-sur-and-en-

après avoir fait du shopping, j'ai nagé dans la piscine. - this is meant to say after shopping, i swam in the pool.

en espagne, la plupart du temps, il y avait du soleil et il faisait chaud, mais le mardi il pleuvait bien et il faisait chaud. - this is meant to say in spain, most of the time, it was sunny and hot, but on tuesday it rained although it was hot.

au parc aquatique, j’ai nagé avec des dauphins. J'avais peur mais c’était trés amusant! - this is meant to say at the water park, i swam with dolphins. I was afraid but it was very fun!

c’était mon anniversaire j'avais quinze ans. La viande était très délicieuse,mais de telle manière c´était cher. - this is meant to say it was my birthday - i was fifteen years old. The meal was very delicious but it was so expensive.

thank you

hope that helps:wink:
Sorry I put the corrections in capitals ,but the post changed once I posted it :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
I know this is only one phrase but I don't do French any more and this is the only one I remember! - you could put 'grâce au beau temps' which means thanks to the good weather :smile:
if you require an answer from someone like me you won't have it because I come from France and always have A* in French my only problem is English, I am in grade D. Does someone have a solution for me
Reply 19
do you know any high level sentences I could use in my French speaking about Work experience?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending