This discussion is closed.
lumpycustard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
... that we are behind time.

He reckons that because our brains take one second to process information and crap that we are one second behind normal time (kind of a matrix)

well? it baffles me. that when i see something move it moved one second before i caught up with time, only to be behind it again. grrr
Ensocopier
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lumpycustard)
... that we are behind time.

He reckons that because our brains take one second to process information and crap that we are one second behind normal time (kind of a matrix)

well? it baffles me. that when i see something move it moved one second before i caught up with time, only to be behind it again. grrr
Is it just me, or how can that be true. Say for example I move this glass in front of me, are you saying that the glass actually moved one second ago, even tho it appears to me to move at the same time as i push it?
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ensocopier)
Is it just me, or how can that be true. Say for example I move this glass in front of me, are you saying that the glass actually moved one second ago, even tho it appears to me to move at the same time as i push it?
i no! its weird aint it? mayeb u moved ur arm and then a second later u realised. i duno. this stuff conflubbles me!
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i no! its weird aint it? mayeb u moved ur arm and then a second later u realised. i duno. this stuff conflubbles me!
I think you may be right. That we actually take longer to process info than the acts themselves take. It would mean that the cup would move before you "saw" it happening but everything would be in perfect sync... ooooh, i love things that make your brain hurt
Ensocopier
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rednirt)
I think you may be right. That we actually take longer to process info than the acts themselves take. It would mean that the cup would move before you "saw" it happening but everything would be in perfect sync... ooooh, i love things that make your brain hurt
But surely people's brains process things at different rates?
_EMMA_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
it takes time from when you see something until you react
Moochy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But surely people's brains process things at different rates?
well yes they do but only within 100ths of seconds. we see things happenin a fraction of a second after they actually do cus of the time it takes to process the info in our heads.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moochy)
well yes they do but only within 100ths of seconds. we see things happenin a fraction of a second after they actually do cus of the time it takes to process the info in our heads.
so its like wer behind time...

wow! amazin! woooooo!
caz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
so its like wer behind time...

wow! amazin! woooooo!
if we didnt process info there would be no time, which is true bcuz existence exists outside of society
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
(Original post by caz)
if we didnt process info there would be no time, which is true bcuz existence exists outside of society
can u rephrase that in a way a stupid person would understand plz?

ie me
MC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
your brain knows your are going to move the arm before the arm is actually moved. so the delay which is just a fraction of a second to acknowledge the movement is just the delay it takes for the visual sensors to relay the brain information that the action has been completed
mensandan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you plan something like pushing a glass, it may take your brain a split second to decide what to do, however once you have decided to do it you will see it in real time (virtually), since light travels so fast and your optic nerve process it within millionths of a second and your mind projects what it will see. However if something happens infront of you unexpectedly it will take time to interpret what has happened since you did not plan it. Try this experiment, have a clock in the room with a second hand. Every so often glance at it. Sometimes the first second seems to last ages (well a couple of seconds), then everything starts to move at the normal speed (or faster as it catches up, then steadies out). This is a time dilation caused by your having to interpret what you have seen unlike when you moved the glass and knew what you would see. If you do the experiment properly and use a stop watch when you first glance at the clock and stop it when you see the second hand move an interesting pattern occurs. You get results from about 1.0 to 2.0 seconds. Obviously there is some error as you don't know when the hand moved before however these error should lead to results between 0 and 1 second but they don't. Not due to human error as this amount of time is easy to measure on a stop watch. You probably don't believe me but try it before you take the piss.
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Talking about this! Who has seen donnie darko? ITS ACE!
]{ingnik
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
its completely irrelevant. in effect, what we percieve is real time. if you want to talk reactions, thats different.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (387)
67.19%
No (189)
32.81%

Watched Threads