Turn on thread page Beta

Hia
    For our AS Chemistry coursework we did a simple Titration
    M + NaOH -> NaM + H2O
    I am currently doing the evaluation

-The first thing i would like to ask how can you account for any discreprencies
    - how could i comment on the good/bad poiints regarding a typical studnet's titration
    - improvents to increase accuracy

please help!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

for every tritration a student does, it should be repeated atleast 3 times. Then you should find the mean titre, for e.g for each tirtration u get 25.4, 23.5 and 25.6, you would add them togther and divide by the number of tritration you did, for this e.g. it is 3. The answer u get is your mean titre.

Also when finding the mean titre,all your tritraion values should be withen 0.02 cm, this makes the mean titre accurate and plus you can see if the tritration values you found out are consistant and accurate.

You should always do a trial tritration first to see where about the tritration finishes, this way the the tritrations you do after the triail one will be more accurate becuase for exaple if you got 25.4 in the trail titration, you know that you can add the solution form the burrette 2-3cm before 25.4 cm in the other tritration you do. And then you would drop by drop add the solution into the connical flask, to find the correct and acurate value.

Plus many people leave bubbles in the pippette with transfering soltution into the connical flask, this make the amount transfered less reliable becuase you would of not transfered the correct volume of solution.

I cant think of anything else, but if you get stuck plz do ask.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    -The first thing i would like to ask how can you account for any discreprencies
    - how could i comment on the good/bad poiints regarding a typical studnet's titration
    - improvents to increase accuracy
    To account for discrepencies, repeat the experiment at least thrice and then obtain a mean reading if all three readings are different. If two readings are the same they are most likely correct. Using a more accurate burette, good to within ±0.005ml would lower the overall uncertainty to approximately 10% of its present value.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.