Are Motorhead a Heavy metal or rock band?

Watch
Poll: Are motorhead rock or heavy metal?
rock (11)
47.83%
heavy metal (12)
52.17%
metalthrashin'mad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I consider Motorhead to be a heavy metal band, and without trying to come off as a dik, I know enough about metal to know what is and what isn't metal, but the majority of people think they are rock rather than metal.

Most metalheads I know in real life and online will say that they are metal, but most people who don't really listen to metal, and listen to rock and other stuff will say they are a rock band. What do you think they are? Rather than my music related forums which are usually genre specific I would say TSR is pretty neutral overall towards genre. And as an aside, contrary to popular belief they HAVE done songs other than Ace of Spades! 21 albums worth of songs in fact.
majikthise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmm, not sure. Let's ask Lemmy-

"We are Motörhead, and we play rock and roll"
Phantom Lord
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Metal is a sub genre of rock.
Unless you mean Hard Rock, which is of course different to Metal.
metalthrashin'mad
Rep:
?
(Original post by majikthise)
Hmm, not sure. Let's ask Lemmy-

"We are Motörhead, and we play rock and roll"
"I don't like the term heavy metal, that just sounds like people running around in iron armour or something". - can't remember the exact quote but it was on a documentary on the beginnings of metal, or the making of ace of spades doc (I watch a ridiculous amount of rock and metal documentaries so cant remember which one) As an aside Lemmy's book "white line fever" is amazing

Just because he doesn't like the term it doesn't make much difference, Ozzy Osbourne said in his book he didn't like the term heavy metal, but it's impossible to deny that the first 6 sabbath albums and his first 3 solo albums at least (haven't heard the rest) are definitely metal.
Joluk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Metal, not heavy metal, and not rock. A bit of a subjective thing though.
metalthrashin'mad
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joluk)
Metal, not heavy metal, and not rock. A bit of a subjective thing though.
Good point, metal and heavy metal are different things. With the case of Motorhead though it would only ever make sense to call them either hard rock, heavy metal or speed metal.
majikthise
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Speed metal is silly as a load of their best songs are rather slow.

(That said, songs like "Burner" and "Mean Machine" are obviously brilliant as well)
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hard rock and rock and roll sounds about right. They're not massively dissimilar to heavy metal, but I wouldn't tend to call them that.
Raving_Hippy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
I consider Motorhead to be a heavy metal band, and without trying to come off as a dik, I know enough about metal to know what is and what isn't metal, but the majority of people think they are rock rather than metal.

Most metalheads I know in real life and online will say that they are metal, but most people who don't really listen to metal, and listen to rock and other stuff will say they are a rock band. What do you think they are? Rather than my music related forums which are usually genre specific I would say TSR is pretty neutral overall towards genre. And as an aside, contrary to popular belief they HAVE done songs other than Ace of Spades! 21 albums worth of songs in fact.
Motorhead are rock 'n' roll, not heavy metal. Lemmy himself has said this in numerous interviews, and he gets sick of people labelling Motorhead as heavy metal:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...a-2142747.html

A quote from that interview about halfway down the page:-

"We were not heavy metal," he snaps. "We were a rock'n'roll band. Still are. Everyone always describes us as heavy metal even when I tell them otherwise. Why won't people listen?"
Lamptastic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I always just say they are metal though they sound like a mixture of metal & rock &roll.

The metal & rock genres in general are too confusing. :erm:
metalthrashin'mad
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Raving_Hippy)
Motorhead are rock 'n' roll, not heavy metal. Lemmy himself has said this in numerous interviews, and he gets sick of people labelling Motorhead as heavy metal:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...a-2142747.html

A quote from that interview about halfway down the page:-

"We were not heavy metal," he snaps. "We were a rock'n'roll band. Still are. Everyone always describes us as heavy metal even when I tell them otherwise. Why won't people listen?"
That doesn't mean they are though. If I were to make a grindcore record with all the shrieks, blastbeats, and heavy riffing that went with it, and then said it was smooth jazz it wouldn't make it so.

See point earlier about ozzy too
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I understand why you call the heavy metal, but I'd describe them as rock.

Who cares either way? They're ****ing awesome! :headbang:
Raving_Hippy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That doesn't mean they are though. If I were to make a grindcore record with all the shrieks, blastbeats, and heavy riffing that went with it, and then said it was smooth jazz it wouldn't make it so.

See point earlier about ozzy too
You heard it from the man himself saying they aren't heavy metal, and you're still questioning it. What's wrong with you man?
metalthrashin'mad
Rep:
?
You heard it from the man himself saying they aren't heavy metal, and you're still questioning it. What's wrong with you man?
their sound is heavy metal, and not only that, their heaviness, speed, loudness and gruff vocals were an inspiration on the entirety of thrash metal.

just because someone says their music is one thing doesnt mean it is. Lemmy was raised on rock and roll and still loves it, which is why he is reluctant to say its another genre, it is the same with ozzy, who doesn't like the term metal applied to sabbath or his solo career, but if sabotage isnt metal what the actual **** is?
concubine
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
'protometal'

Suck my willy.
Betacra
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just because a band says they're not a genre it doesn't mean they not. (see The Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree)

I've always looked upon them as heavy metal, don't listen to them much though.
Raving_Hippy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
their sound is heavy metal, and not only that, their heaviness, speed, loudness and gruff vocals were an inspiration on the entirety of thrash metal.

just because someone says their music is one thing doesnt mean it is. Lemmy was raised on rock and roll and still loves it, which is why he is reluctant to say its another genre, it is the same with ozzy, who doesn't like the term metal applied to sabbath or his solo career, but if sabotage isnt metal what the actual **** is?
Well at the end of the day who cares about labelling a band a certain style of music anyway. Music is what it is....everybody just wants to put a label on music like 'that's metal!', 'that's rock!', 'that's blues', blah blah blah'. I say **** labels and just enjoy the music.

There are a lot of blues influences in the motorhead sound, though, such as '*****house blues' off Inferno, and other tracks.

Metal, heavy metal etc is just a heavier form of rock anyway. The line between what can be classed as 'rock' and what can be classed as 'metal' is very blurred these days anyway.

There are also tons of sub-genres of rock and metal too, e.g. death metal, thrash metal, industrial metal, hard rock, melodic rock, soft rock, blues rock, stadium rock, black metal. It's silly to get caught up in arguments about what category a band falls into. I wouldn't wanna fall out with a fellow Motorhead fan over a petty thing like this anyway.

Anyway, Motorhead are a bloody good band. One of my favourites of theirs is a song called 'One Night Stand' off Kiss of Death. What about you? Have you seen them live? I saw them a few years back in Manchester.
joy12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good point, metal and heavy metal are different things. With the case of Motorhead though it would only ever make sense to call them either hard rock, heavy metal or speed metal.
I wouldn't consider them a speed metal band.

yes, definitely has elements of hard rock, metal and heavy metal.
metalthrashin'mad
Rep:
?
Well at the end of the day who cares about labelling a band a certain style of music anyway. Music is what it is....everybody just wants to put a label on music like 'that's metal!', 'that's rock!', 'that's blues', blah blah blah'. I say **** labels and just enjoy the music.

There are a lot of blues influences in the motorhead sound, though, such as '*****house blues' off Inferno, and other tracks.

Metal, heavy metal etc is just a heavier form of rock anyway. The line metal what can be classed as 'rock' and what can be classed as 'metal' is very blurred these days anyway.

There are also tons of sub-genres of rock and metal too, e.g. death metal, thrash metal, industrial metal, hard rock, melodic rock, soft rock, blues rock, stadium rock, black metal. It's silly to get caught up in arguments about what category a band falls into. I wouldn't wanna fall out with a fellow Motorhead fan over a petty thing like this anyway.

Anyway, Motorhead are a bloody good band. One of my favourites of theirs is a song called 'One Night Stand' off Kiss of Death. What about you? Have you seen them live? I saw them a few years back in Manchester.
posted in your other thread haha
StandardUsername
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Who really cares?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (148)
54.61%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (37)
13.65%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.44%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.59%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.8%

Watched Threads