The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Radiohead, pretty obvious for anyone with good taste and common sense tbh...

And to those who say Radiohead's songs all sound similar and boring, at least listen to one song off each album and you'll see how they've evolved.
Reply 21
Student forum...

Radiohead will win by a flipping landslide in the end. People have this funny idea they're original.

Good Radiohead albums:

The Bends
OK Computer
Amnesiac (for actually being an interesting electronic approach)

I do think Radiohead are better but I'm not voting yet.
Reply 22
Blasphemy!
Original post by Betacra
Student forum...

Radiohead will win by a flipping landslide in the end. People have this funny idea they're original.

I'm not a student so i dont fall into the student category.

can you explain to me why you think they are not original? could you name a few bands you think are original?

thank you
Reply 24
are you serious?
Oasis all the way! :cool:
..Is this a genuine question? Radiohead, clearly.
Reply 27
radiohead /thread
Reply 28
Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers
I'm not a student so i dont fall into the student category.

can you explain to me why you think they are not original? could you name a few bands you think are original?

thank you

Death
Black Sabbath

Two bands who are very much original right off the bat. No thought required.

Radiohead have a habit of recycling their music and then people just lap it up as original. At least people realised King of Limbs was NOT original in any way, shape or form.

Don't get me wrong I like them, but they haven't been amazing for a long time now.
Reply 29
They are so different, it's like saying "What do you like more? Orange juice or pizza?".
Original post by Betacra
Death
Black Sabbath

Radiohead have a habit of recycling their music and then people just lap it up as original. At least people realised King of Limbs was NOT original in any way, shape or form.

Don't get me wrong I like them, but they haven't been amazing for a long time now.

:K:..
Reply 31
Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers
:K:..

Death are basically responsible for the creation of Death Metal the way it is today, I'd say that makes them a pretty original and important band.

Black Sabbath I shouldn't even have to explain, they've created loads of different types of metal. One of the most important bands to exist in music.
Original post by Betacra
Death
Black Sabbath

That's wrong. Have you even listened to all their records? Can you really say the've recycled their music from Ok Computer to Kid A or Amnesiac?

And you can't really compare Radiohead to death metal. There's tons of bands that are original even in the indie scene. How is King of Limbs not original? It's one of their least mainstream records and has some beautiful bass lines/guitar work.
Original post by Betacra
Death are basically responsible for the creation of Death Metal the way it is today, I'd say that makes them a pretty original and important band.

Black Sabbath I shouldn't even have to explain, they've created loads of different types of metal. One of the most important bands to exist in music.

oh i know who they are..

i've just never seen either of those bands being described as original. theres a first for everything though!
Can't take some Radiohead songs, just way way too depressing! so oasis!
Oasis are my favourite band in the world, so Radiohead don't come close. I can see why people dislike Oasis but the background they've come from - their story really is remarkable.

I do really like Radiohead though, just prefer Oasis.
It's funny that we are debating the originality and uniqueness of Radiohead as reasons not to like them, yet totally ignoring the fact that Oasis don't exactly have the most diverse of songs. Or is it that we expect something 'more' of Radiohead, so therefore we can complain when we think they aren't original enough or unique enough? In which case we must think they are better by default :tongue:
Reply 37
Oasis were good, no doubt about that. But Radiohead just have that extra class about them, like Karma Police is one of the best songs ever imo.
Reply 38
Original post by johno090
Oasis. I've grown up listening to them and they are brilliant. Yes they have done some Piers Morgan songs but the amount of top quality songs they've produced over the years can only be matched by the likes of the Beatles surely.

I genuinely couldn't think of one Radiohead song off the top of my head so I've been browsing youtube and heard about 8 different ones and they're all distinctly average and I was suprised that they're of similar ilk as someone above said they keep changing their style. I wouldn't say Oasis have one specific style, they like to do a whole range of different genres.

Really suprised by the overwhelming support for Radiohead but each to their own and that I suppose.

You're kidding right? Please tell me you're kidding.

Radiohead are legendary in their experimentation and different sounds. No two Radiohead songs are ever the same. Compare Creep and Street Spirit for example.

Whereas Oasis do Brit pop catchy/meaningless songs that are fun to sing along to when you're drunk and.... well.. yeah. That's it.

They're appalling musicians. Oasis fans don't seem to care though. I watched a video of Liam ****ing up the words during Wonderwall. Also I read a quote by Noel that he doesn't really 'get' amps, and just 'puts all the knobs to full and see what happens'. But everyone just sees this 'do not care' attitude as 'rock and roll and cool!', whereas I see it as poor musicianship.

As most people on this forum are relatively bright, Radiohead wins out. Go to any chav and they'll support Oasis all the way. Just another thing to think about. I personally get bored of hearing loud obnoxious guitar and C-D-G chords in every song.

Anyway, /rant over ^^

Also, very flattered my thread inspired this one :smile:
I think they're hard to compare. :holmes:

If you asked me which band would I rather see, I'd say Radiohead. :top:

Latest