The Student Room Group

Southampton or BSMS?!

Help!!!!!!!!!

I have offers at both to study A100 medicine, after taking a gap year having been rejected from everywhere last year. I never expected to get more than one offer... and now i have a choice! :s-smilie:

Would really appreciate people's views on both medical schools. In particular pro's and cons.

Thankyou :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unfortunately still unable to decide....
Reply 2
They literally have the same course. Cities are fairly similar, Brighton has a bit better nightlife. So tbh why don't you just go based on your gut feeling and which one felt more comfortable when you were there?
Reply 3
Soton r weird they reject my mate for medicine but he got into cambridge and ucl :/
Reply 4
Original post by Iqbal007
Soton r weird they reject my mate for medicine but he got into cambridge and ucl :/

That's because Cambridge and UCL aren't harder to get into ... southampton and every other med school are just as difficult.
Reply 5
Original post by ryan118244
That's because Cambridge and UCL aren't harder to get into ... southampton and every other med school are just as difficult.

still think there weird for rejecting him, because hes done like a years worth of ambulance and hospital work and had an excellent PS and grades :/
Reply 6
They literally have the same course. Cities are fairly similar, Brighton has a bit better nightlife. So tbh why don't you just go based on your gut feeling and which one felt more comfortable when you were there?

Brighton City > Campus
Southampton campus > City...

It's a toughie!!!!

To be honest I liked both of them. What makes it hard is that they are both really good medical school's and have really similar courses.

Brighton is nearer home, but only by an hour so that isn't really an issue..
Reply 7
Original post by hsparkle
Brighton City > Campus
Southampton campus > City...

It's a toughie!!!!

To be honest I liked both of them. What makes it hard is that they are both really good medical school's and have really similar courses.

Brighton is nearer home, but only by an hour so that isn't really an issue..

Ahhh wow you have a lot of thinking to do then. You should flip a coin, heads for BSMS and tails for Southampton, and if it lands on one of them and your slightly dissapointed then you will know it's the other one you want more.
Reply 8
still think there weird for rejecting him, because hes done like a years worth of ambulance and hospital work and had an excellent PS and grades :/

Yea but so has every other applicant. He's done really well for getting 2 offers any way. The average medical applicant gets 4 rejections. So he should be chuffed.
Reply 9

Oh dear, someone knows nothing about the medical school admissions...

Ahhh wow you have a lot of thinking to do then. You should flip a coin, heads for BSMS and tails for Southampton, and if it lands on one of them and your slightly dissapointed then you will know it's the other one you want more.

This.

Sounds like a great idea. I was going to say compare the weather or something, but they'll probably be very similiar. Doesn't seem like there's a lot else between them for you!

Maybe make a list of all the important things, and decide on one which is better for you. Like campus, location, distance from home, course, accomodation, prices, etc. Whichever place gets the most wins out of that, you choose :smile:
Reply 10
Yea but so has every other applicant. He's done really well for getting 2 offers any way. The average medical applicant gets 4 rejections. So he should be chuffed.

Actually we all expected him to get into UCL ..... plus he withdrew from kings as they took so long
Reply 11
Original post by twelve

This.

Sounds like a great idea. I was going to say compare the weather or something, but they'll probably be very similiar. Doesn't seem like there's a lot else between them for you!

Maybe make a list of all the important things, and decide on one which is better for you. Like campus, location, distance from home, course, accomodation, prices, etc. Whichever place gets the most wins out of that, you choose :smile:

I never really got whether when people say 'this' is a good thing or not.
Reply 12
I never really got whether when people say 'this' is a good thing or not.

Well, its just agreeing with your post I guess.

Kind of short for 'this is what I wanted to say' But I always go on to add something else, which kind of defeats the point :P
Reply 13
Original post by twelve

This.

I know its extremely competitive, its the most competitive subject ¬¬
but i'm just saying
Reply 14
Original post by twelve
Well, its just agreeing with your post I guess.

Kind of short for 'this is what I wanted to say' But I always go on to add something else, which kind of defeats the point :P

Ahh good to know. I swear I'm autistic sometimes.
Maybe look at house rent prices/crime rates or something like that? Or write a list of pro's and cons of each....

I am at Soton <3 but BSMS was my other top choice, and luckily I didn't get in so didn't have to make the decision :P

Not that I am bias, but Soton is awesome....

Also, BSMS do dissection and Soton is pro-section (anthough you can do an anatomy module and do dissection) if that is something that is important to you...

(^ if I am wrong here, please correct meh!!!)
Reply 16
Original post by BethaneyJ
Maybe look at house rent prices/crime rates or something like that? Or write a list of pro's and cons of each....

I am at Soton <3 but BSMS was my other top choice, and luckily I didn't get in so didn't have to make the decision :P

Not that I am bias, but Soton is awesome....

Also, BSMS do dissection and Soton is pro-section (anthough you can do an anatomy module and do dissection) if that is something that is important to you...

(^ if I am wrong here, please correct meh!!!)

Hey :smile: What do you think of Soton's teaching? And what are the placements like? Its a toughie, as the integrated degree at Soton and anatomy at BSMS sort of put them on equal pedastals..

Soton has a nicer campus though, which is I guess where I would spend most of my time.
Reply 17

I second this having been the average medical applicant last year!!
Reply 18
I second this having been the average medical applicant last year!!

But let's face it. Us re-applicants are clearly superior ... though in all seriousness I think we actually have a lot of advantage.
Hey :smile: What do you think of Soton's teaching? And what are the placements like? Its a toughie, as the integrated degree at Soton and anatomy at BSMS sort of put them on equal pedastals..

Soton has a nicer campus though, which is I guess where I would spend most of my time.

Teaching I've had is really good and the lecturers are great. Year 1 placements are alright though I hear it gets better!

The thing with Soton is definitely the hospital. There is Southampton General which is HUGE, and there is also the Princess Anne over the road (where 1 born every minute was filmed!). It's huge and amazing. I'm from Brighton and saw a lot of BSMS campus and I agree, it's a bit naff. Soton campus is beautiful and there is a shiney new biomedsci building. It's amazing haha.

If you want dissection you can do it at Soton, but not until a few years in.

I loved BSMS, but I love Soton more, especially now I am here. Historic city too.

Try hitting the uni websites/youtube and see what you can find from current students both sides of the fence... :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending