This discussion is closed.
gemma1811
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by neosyko)
i applied back in october.

have u applied to lse as well (sorry if you've already said - ive only skimmed through the above)
Yeah, i also applied back in October! GRR!!!! its been over 3 months now!!! Where else have you applied? Is LSE guna be ur 1st choice?
neosyko
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gemma1811)
Yeah, i also applied back in October! GRR!!!! its been over 3 months now!!! Where else have you applied? Is LSE guna be ur 1st choice?
yes definately one of my top two, however i havent actually been there yet for an open day!
do you know what the various accomodation is like?
neosyko
Report 16 years ago
ive applied to:

cambridge (rejected)
ucl (interview in feb)
st andrews (offer)
exeter (offer)
lse (who knows?)
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yes definately one of my top two, however i havent actually been there yet for an open day!
do you know what the various accomodation is like?
No, i only got to see rooms at High Holborn on the open day that i went to last march. However, if you go to the thread entitles LSE Accommation Advice, there are some useful comments there from a couple of people currently at LSE. Also, if you go onto the website there is information, http://www.lse.ac.uk and also if you go onto the LSE SU website there are some of there opinions there about what the accommodation is like. Another thing that really has to be taken into consideration is the accommodation that you can afford at LSE!

I've also applied to Exeter! Have u been there? Its a really nice campus!
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gemma1811)
No, i only got to see rooms at High Holborn on the open day that i went to last march. However, if you go to the thread entitles LSE Accommation Advice, there are some useful comments there from a couple of people currently at LSE. Also, if you go onto the website there is information, http://www.lse.ac.uk and also if you go onto the LSE SU website there are some of there opinions there about what the accommodation is like. Another thing that really has to be taken into consideration is the accommodation that you can afford at LSE!

I've also applied to Exeter! Have u been there? Its a really nice campus!
They only let us go in holborn on the open day aswell, it wasnt too great. Do u reckon u can arrange to look round some others, possibly on this years open day?
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
ive applied to study economics and geography
i havent heard at all from LSE yet - is this a good or bad thing?
mmh...could it be both.
MuvverRussia
Report 16 years ago
Leeroy- Holborn not too great?

You're in for a shock when you see the places you're applying to then.....
Surfing Hamster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I received a letter from LSE this morning, and apparently I've been shortlisted for law!!

Has anyone else received an offer or this type of letter?
shedow
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Surfing Hamster)
I received a letter from LSE this morning, and apparently I've been shortlisted for law!!

Has anyone else received an offer or this type of letter?

My friend got this type of letter,
but thats 4 management.
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MuvverRussia)
Leeroy- Holborn not too great?

You're in for a shock when you see the places you're applying to then.....
oh o... lol. The college itself was really nice, it was just the rooms that looked crappy, tho it may have been down to the students whose they belonged to.
MuvverRussia
Report 16 years ago
college? the only college is LSE itself.

High Holborn is supposedly the flagship hall, but tbh it isn't that good. Our bar is better than theirs for example, also we have better general facilities. The rooms in High Holborn are better than the ones here, although you do get used to it- when I first saw my room I thought that it was an absolute ****tip, although I really like it now, especially considering it's pretty cheap.
mp_18
Report 16 years ago
Hey everybody,
Im also waiting for my lse offer/rejection to come, hopefully that will be an offer, but... im a little worried about my subjects. They have a list of A-level subjects they say they dont like, but they dont have it, at least not officially, for IB. Now im doing the ib and one of my higher levels is theatre. i know as an A-level drama is on the list - but ib theatre is more theoretical, so do you think that might be a problem? help me if there's anybody who nows anything about this... thanks a lot
Mark
MuvverRussia
Report 16 years ago
what course? the chances are that LSE wont like it, but you never know.

BTW- you havent really got a chance if you want to do a maths based course such as Econ, A&F, econometrics etc.
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
college? the only college is LSE itself.

High Holborn is supposedly the flagship hall, but tbh it isn't that good. Our bar is better than theirs for example, also we have better general facilities. The rooms in High Holborn are better than the ones here, although you do get used to it- when I first saw my room I thought that it was an absolute ****tip, although I really like it now, especially considering it's pretty cheap.
lol oh yeh i meant hall of residence, dunno where college came from.
CaSTle OUtsiDeR
Report 16 years ago
what course? the chances are that LSE wont like it, but you never know.

BTW- you havent really got a chance if you want to do a maths based course such as Econ, A&F, econometrics etc.
how about Computing? i took it as my minor 4th AS last yr...i dropped it this yr coz didn't do that well and didn't like it....is it a 'traditional subject' to LSE? i sort of think it's more like theatre studies....not really academic. i applied for A & F...
MuvverRussia
Report 16 years ago
LOL- I'm doing accounting and finance and did computing A level, so it isn't too bad . Alongside computing I did economics and maths as well as further maths AS and physics AS- I got my offer really early as well.

I'm assuming that it's proper computing and not ICT or anything mickey mouse like that? If so it's seen as being OK, the A2 element is actually quite hard so that makes it more academic (you need to think very, very analytically otherwise you'll fail- especially with binary and hexadecimal numbers and Backus Naur Form). For the record, there is no way you can compare A2 computing to theatre studies.
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
did computing A level.... I got my offer really early as well..
Isn't computing 'non traditional'? You were lucky you did other traditional subjects... When you say early, what exactly do you mean?

I'm assuming that it's proper computing and not ICT or anything mickey mouse like that? ... For the record, there is no way you can compare A2 computing to theatre studies
Yes you can, they are both crap A-levels
MuvverRussia
Report 16 years ago
Computing is still fairly traditional, at least more traditional than the likes of theatre studies. Have you ever looked at a computing syllabus? It isn't word processing or databases- there's a hell of a lot of theory involved, which in turn means a lot of analytical thinking (which LSE like) and a lot of learning. Add to that the huge coursework (mine was over 200 pages in total) which is worth approximately **** all you get a fairly demanding academic subject. BTW- I found it harder than economics and maths.

I know others with computing A level doing accounting and finance, so it seems to be fairly well accepted here, certainly way more accepted than theatre studies, media studies, business studies or even the likes of English.

Overall, it can't be that bad seeing how I got in- maybe you should look at examples to decide whether a 'crap' subject will help you get in or not before dismissing all subjects as being second rate.

Oh- as for early, I received my offer in the 2nd week of November 02.
CaSTle OUtsiDeR
Report 16 years ago
Computing is still fairly traditional, at least more traditional than the likes of theatre studies. Have you ever looked at a computing syllabus? It isn't word processing or databases- there's a hell of a lot of theory involved, which in turn means a lot of analytical thinking (which LSE like) and a lot of learning. Add to that the huge coursework (mine was over 200 pages in total) which is worth approximately **** all you get a fairly demanding academic subject. BTW- I found it harder than economics and maths.

I know others with computing A level doing accounting and finance, so it seems to be fairly well accepted here, certainly way more accepted than theatre studies, media studies, business studies or even the likes of English.

Overall, it can't be that bad seeing how I got in- maybe you should look at examples to decide whether a 'crap' subject will help you get in or not before dismissing all subjects as being second rate.

Oh- as for early, I received my offer in the 2nd week of November 02.
oh right i see...coz initially i thought it's not that 'traditional', compared to other subjects like maths and history...thx for the info
but...oh no that means i've made a wrong decision...shouldn't have dropped it after AS...coz now i'm only doing maths, history and econ with further AS maths....i got a C for Computing last yr (I'm too stupid?)....2 marks off a B i was really annoyed...probably that's why i dropped it...actually i did well in all my other subjects except this
LSE might not like my decision then, u think so?...i'm worried now...would they accept me in the end...??
woo u got ur offer so early...i thought they give offers from Jan. onwards
what was ur offer at that time? u got all As in ur 3 A2 s?
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by CaSTle OUtsiDeR)
oh right i see...coz initially i thought it's not that 'traditional', compared to other subjects like maths and history...thx for the info
but...oh no that means i've made a wrong decision...shouldn't have dropped it after AS...coz now i'm only doing maths, history and econ with further AS maths....i got a C for Computing last yr (I'm too stupid?)....2 marks off a B i was really annoyed...probably that's why i dropped it...actually i did well in all my other subjects except this
LSE might not like my decision then, u think so?...i'm worried now...would they accept me in the end...??
woo u got ur offer so early...i thought they give offers from Jan. onwards
what was ur offer at that time? u got all As in ur 3 A2 s?
No, LSE will be happy with your choices! Economics and maths are related quite closely to the course, and history provides analytical skills, which is always liked by employers and universities! And it was also sensible for you to have dropped the subject that u didn't do the best at
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (445)
59.02%
Yes- I don't like it (42)
5.57%
No- I want it (217)
28.78%
No- I don't want it (50)
6.63%

Watched Threads