LSE Answers Watch

This discussion is closed.
MuvverRussia
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
History is slightly unusual for accounting and finance, but should be OK- put it this way, if you got a C at AS in computing you'd probably get a C or D at A2- comparing say a D in A2 computing vs an A/B in A2 history then you've obviously made the right decision. LSE will probably be indifferent to your decision, as to whether you'll get an offer I have no idea though, they like AS further maths though, especially if you do P4, 5 and 6.

It's a common misconception that LSE give their offers out late. Some people are given them pretty early, but those are in the minority (especially if you don't have your results yet). My offer was ABB btw- I got AABab (Computing, Economics, Maths, Physics AS and Further Maths AS) as well as a merit in the economics AEA. TBH, although they say the standard offer for A&F is ABB nobody gets those results- normally you are looking at AAA or AAB here. It could be worth remembering that if you're predicted ABB.
gemma1811
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by MuvverRussia)
History is slightly unusual for accounting and finance, but should be OK- put it this way, if you got a C at AS in computing you'd probably get a C or D at A2- comparing say a D in A2 computing vs an A/B in A2 history then you've obviously made the right decision. LSE will probably be indifferent to your decision, as to whether you'll get an offer I have no idea though, they like AS further maths though, especially if you do P4, 5 and 6.

It's a common misconception that LSE give their offers out late. Some people are given them pretty early, but those are in the minority (especially if you don't have your results yet). My offer was ABB btw- I got AABab (Computing, Economics, Maths, Physics AS and Further Maths AS) as well as a merit in the economics AEA. TBH, although they say the standard offer for A&F is ABB nobody gets those results- normally you are looking at AAA or AAB here. It could be worth remembering that if you're predicted ABB.
Well that is funny, coz LSE themselves told me that History was a preferable subject as it requires a lot more skill than other subjects with will be useful later in life and at university to do their course!!!! And i think you may find that it is easier to get a C in computing than it is in History!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! They also told me that with the subjects i do, further maths AS was not a necessity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
ming
Report 14 years ago
It's a common misconception that LSE give their offers out late. Some people are given them pretty early, but those are in the minority (especially if you don't have your results yet).
I see a contradiction here. If only 'some' people are given offers early, and they are the minority, why is it a misconception that LSE give their offers out late? Surely if the majority get their offers later rather than sooner, isn't it then true (and not a misconception) that LSE do give offers late (or at least later rather than sooner)?

No offence MuvverRussia, but you seem to make a lot of assumptions about what LSE do and do not favour. Granted, you study at LSE, but does being a student really qualify you to make statements such as, "History is slightly unusual for accounting and finance, but should be OK- put it this way, if you got a C at AS in computing you'd probably get a C or D at A2- comparing say a D in A2 computing vs an A/B in A2 history then you've obviously made the right decision."
Unless maybe LSE tell you these kind of these things?
BTW, do you enjoy studying there?
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you look in the LSE prospectus, it says a perfect combination to study any degree at LSE would be:
History/ Maths/ French
MuvverRussia
Report 14 years ago
I've read the prospectus, but that refers to their courses as a whole (for example, Government History- in this case history would obviously be advantageous). I was referring to accounting and finance and the words of Mr C. Noke (senior lecturer, accounting and finance dept)- you'll probably be interviewed by him during the first couple of weeks.

As for history not being as popular (my words were 'History is unusual'- not 'LSE don't like History') on the accounting and finance course- if you spoke to some other A&F students here you'll find that it's not the kind of subject that people doing the course will have studied, certainly there is no way you could apply any of the skills associated with history other than basic problem analysis (bear in mind that pretty much all the course is maths including EC102 and AC100). I know lots more people who have studied computing at A level compared to history at A level. Of course, I cannot comment about the admissions process apart from in a retrospective way- one would however assume that because of this history is at most on a par with computing, as the data doesn't suggest anything else. As for the A/B History vs C/D computing comment, this is a highly competitive course- anything you can do to maximise your grades whilst still doing OK subjects is worthwhile.

Also, regarding further maths, if you don't have it you'll find the maths harder, as a lot of it is further maths but approached from a different angle and in a different context.

In terms of the contradiction- the person who made the original post said that 'i thought they give offers from Jan. onwards'. To me this is a sweeping generalisation that LSE don't give any offers out before January. I was merely pointing out that this is not the case.

Personally, I'm just saying what my personal experience has been and what I've found by speaking to lecturers, other students etc on a day by day basis. It may be inaccurate compared to what LSE officially say, but is 100% accurate from a real world perspective.
ming
Report 14 years ago
I see I see...
So what about LSE as a whole? Would you recommend it?
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
If you look in the LSE prospectus, it says a perfect combination to study any degree at LSE would be:
History/ Maths/ French
I agree :-)
MuvverRussia
Report 14 years ago
I'd recommend it- it's the best in the country for a number of courses, at least 50% of the lecturers are world class (the other 50% are acceptable to good). Only problem is that the class teaching quality is vastly inconsistent- some teachers are extremely, extremely good whereas others really don't give a damn.

In terms of a social institution I'd recommend it as well. It's got a far better social scene than Oxbridge (from what I've heard from friends there) and you're on the doorstep of the west end, so if you want to go to a non student place such as Chinawhite or Attica then it's really easy to get there. Also, there is little if no animosity (from my experience) towards LSE students.

Overall it's good, but just remember the main strength and main weakness of LSE- Central London.
CaSTle OUtsiDeR
Report 14 years ago
well i suppose a student studying the actual course in LSE should probably give a clearer picture...although i very much agree with what the others say as well....esp. gemma1811....i do think it's rather normal to think that computing should be the less traditional subject comparing to my other 3...besides i've got predicted AAB this yr. i'm surprised that computing is actually that common for this course and more respected than history...coz i know someone graduated from the course who did my subjects at A level....so it all sounds a bit confusing, perhaps worried me as well
oh well...maybe that's why they're holding up my application...until when i dunno...probably i'm screwed
besides, i'm a 100% Hong Kong boy...and i dun live here, just for boarding sch...
a lot of ppl in my sch do say i've got some 'guts' to do history A level...not being arrogant but i've been trying really hard to 'gut' it over these years...anyway
MuvverRussia
Report 14 years ago
I didn't say that, I said that computing is more popular than history.

The main ones they want for accounting and finance are economics and maths- the other one is up to you.

TBH, I wouldn't worry about non traditional subjects etc- I know at least 3 people doing A&F that did Business Studies and Economics at A level. All I think they use the 'non-traditional subject' reason is as a convinient excuse.
CaSTle OUtsiDeR
Report 14 years ago
I didn't say that, I said that computing is more popular than history.

The main ones they want for accounting and finance are economics and maths- the other one is up to you.

TBH, I wouldn't worry about non traditional subjects etc- I know at least 3 people doing A&F that did Business Studies and Economics at A level. All I think they use the 'non-traditional subject' reason is as a convinient excuse.
yea...i see...so i should be on the right track
well now there's nothing i can do to be honest...just pray that i'll be alright...i should be a pretty well qualified candidate...
sorry about the misconception and thx v.much for ur comments
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hey everyone got an offer for government on monday!!! i was soooooo happy!!!!!!!!! just worried abt costs now!
aman21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
im w8in for international relations as well. fukin lse. my m8 got in 4 acturial science and I know 2 other people who hav been sent letters saying they've been shortlisted for acturial, and international relations and history respectively. oh welll
mb85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Any one recieved offer for Management at LSE????
HammaL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Does LSE always send u a letter saying "u have been shortlisted" before they make an offer? Do u guys know anyone who got a straight offer without being shortlisted? Can u still get rejected even if u get short listed?
i haven't heard from lse yet
MuvverRussia
Report 14 years ago
HamaL- Firstly, LSE only send you a letter saying "u have been shortlisted"- it doesn't mean anything other than you've been put on the waiting list (i.e. it doesn't mean you will be rejected or that you will get an offer). Also, if you're still waiting now and haven't heard anything then you probably have been put on the waiting list.

Secondly, you can definately be rejected if you are put on the waiting list. I know 3 people that were rejected this way last year (1 was rejected in March and 2 in April)- it's pretty harsh but that's what happens.

Thirdly, LSE do give out offers without the waiting list. I think there's a couple of people on this board with offers like this. I got my offer last year without being put on the waiting list as well.

Hope this helps.
CaSTle OUtsiDeR
Report 14 years ago
won't they definitely inform u if u're put on the waiting list? they won't tell u that even if u are ? i haven't heard anything either i want to know whether i'm on the list or sth else...
MuvverRussia
Report 14 years ago
I found last year that it was 50/50 whether they told you or not. One person applying for management was told, but 2 others applying for accounting and finance weren't. I'd assume that if you haven't heard from them yet that you are on the waiting list, failing that you could always phone them (if you do this be very careful about what you say though- I know a guy who got his mum to phone bath last year demanding where his offer was, needless to say he was rejected by them pretty soon).
CaSTle OUtsiDeR
Report 14 years ago
I found last year that it was 50/50 whether they told you or not. One person applying for management was told, but 2 others applying for accounting and finance weren't. I'd assume that if you haven't heard from them yet that you are on the waiting list, failing that you could always phone them (if you do this be very careful about what you say though- I know a guy who got his mum to phone bath last year demanding where his offer was, needless to say he was rejected by them pretty soon).
oh right...yea then i'll assume i'll get rejected...when that is i dunno
i've been waiting really anxiously...but now it seems there's no point
yea as u say if i have to wait until april to get rejected it'll be hell. but i know life's like that...i think i'd better forget about it
i can still choose among warwick, notts and man.
though LSE is my first choice
HammaL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
HamaL- Firstly, LSE only send you a letter saying "u have been shortlisted"- it doesn't mean anything other than you've been put on the waiting list (i.e. it doesn't mean you will be rejected or that you will get an offer). Also, if you're still waiting now and haven't heard anything then you probably have been put on the waiting list.

Secondly, you can definately be rejected if you are put on the waiting list. I know 3 people that were rejected this way last year (1 was rejected in March and 2 in April)- it's pretty harsh but that's what happens.

Thirdly, LSE do give out offers without the waiting list. I think there's a couple of people on this board with offers like this. I got my offer last year without being put on the waiting list as well.

Hope this helps.
thank you
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1130)
79.02%
Leave (300)
20.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise