This discussion is closed.
Rocker_Alex
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Hey - I've applied for Economics at LSE (haven't got an offer back yet), but I'm not sure that if I get one, I'd want to go there.

I've heard that the social experience isnt too good, and its harder to make friends with other students than at a campus uni. Also, some have said to me that the foriegn students are only really there to study, and arent as interested in enjoying themselves. My other problem is that I think many students there would have a load more money than me, so while they're out in the trendy wine bars, I'll be stuck in my room.

My alternative is Durham, which looks like its a more friendly place, but it doesnt have the same reputation for Economics.

Does anyone have any advice??? Please!!!
MuvverRussia
Report 16 years ago
I've found the social experience to be pretty good- I've made friends in my hall, from classes and lectures and from societies. True, some foreign students do tend to study a lot, but others have a pretty active social life.

'Trendy wine bars'- where the hell did you get that idea from? We have the Three Tuns, about as far as a 'trendy wine bar' as you can get . Also, lots of clubs have student nights, the biggest being Wednesday night at Ministry of Sound- this always has a good LSE turnout and you'd be surprised at the people you see there (e.g. people that you stereotype as being really hard workers etc)- entry for this is £4 and something like a double vodka and red bull is around £3-4, so not too bad. Add to this the fact that the club closes at 3 and that London has a good night bus service and you have the making of a pretty good, reasonably cheap night out.

It's worth going to some of the West End clubs as well sometimes. Sure they're expensive and some of the people in there have attitude problems, but it's worth it just for the experience.

I know what you mean about the perceived image that LSE has. I thought it would be like what you've described, when in reality it's nothing like it (the only reason I'm in tonight is that Crush- the biggest SU run night in London- it's at LSESU- is doing an RnB night, it's worth avoiding it if that's the case as they're normally pretty bad (usually Crush is Cheese, with RnB in a separate room so it caters for most tastes).
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Rocker_Alex)
Hey - I've applied for Economics at LSE (haven't got an offer back yet), but I'm not sure that if I get one, I'd want to go there.

I've heard that the social experience isnt too good, and its harder to make friends with other students than at a campus uni. Also, some have said to me that the foriegn students are only really there to study, and arent as interested in enjoying themselves. My other problem is that I think many students there would have a load more money than me, so while they're out in the trendy wine bars, I'll be stuck in my room.

My alternative is Durham, which looks like its a more friendly place, but it doesnt have the same reputation for Economics.

Does anyone have any advice??? Please!!!
I was worried about the same sort of thing, and i reckon loads of other people like us will be aswell, so if theres plenty of people in the same boat itll be easier to make friends and have good nights out.
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by HamaL)
Do u guys know anyone who got a straight offer without being shortlisted?
Yes, me
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
and me
babyboo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
people on the website it says....
"Decisions on applications received by January 15 2004.
Following the deadline for applications on 15 January 2004, the School aims to notify UCAS of our final decision on applications during March 2004, having considered all applications received in a fair and proper manner. If you have not received a decision during this time, please be patient, the School receives a huge number of applications which are carefully evaluated by Selectors. "

so just be patient! im wating too for acc n fin but i have given up on checkin n worrying til end of the month now! i reckon most of them will come out end of march now so fear not if you havent heard just think on the lines that at least we havent been rejected straight away n they still considering us! xxx
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i know a first yr at lse for government and econ she said its quite normal for some courses not to reply til april....especially economics, accounting and finance...so people who havent heard dont worry
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
rejected by LSE for law - oh well who cares i am going to UCL now
joka85
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
i know a first yr at lse for government and econ she said its quite normal for some courses not to reply til april....especially economics, accounting and finance...so people who havent heard dont worry

how does she like the course etc.? when did she get her offer?
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i got rejected my mum rung up they had over 17,000 applicants this yr for their roughly 1000 places!
JRDH
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by babyboo)
i got rejected my mum rung up they had over 17,000 applicants this yr for their roughly 1000 places!
well it looks like ur going to st andrews then doesnt it maybe with me! i havnt heard form lse yet
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JRDH)
well it looks like ur going to st andrews then doesnt it maybe with me! i havnt heard form lse yet
tis true!!! st andrews hey whoop whoop?! so far away from home! what course have u applied for?!

dont go lse i'll get jealous! lol come st andrews wit me n we can have some crazy fun...we can go play golf?! pmpl
JRDH
Report 16 years ago
tis true!!! st andrews hey whoop whoop?! so far away from home! what course have u applied for?!

dont go lse i'll get jealous! lol come st andrews wit me n we can have some crazy fun...we can go play golf?! pmpl
its james, the lad who lives down the road form you! you know im studying economics...when did ur mum ring up lse?
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ah mr hackett! lol yesterday i got my reply on thurs night cried my eyes out so mum decided without tellin me she'd do the mumsy thing and ring em to see what they say! silly moo! but yeah thats what they said so the odds were against me!
JRDH
Report 16 years ago
ah mr hackett! lol yesterday i got my reply on thurs night cried my eyes out so mum decided without tellin me she'd do the mumsy thing and ring em to see what they say! silly moo! but yeah thats what they said so the odds were against me!
well sorry about that
i have no idea what there playing at, there taking ages
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
it says on the website that most replies will come out in march, but obviously 'retards'???? like myself lol get the replies earlier! its apparently to give everyone an equal opportunity?! yeh good one lse! lol dya think u'll go there if u got in?! have u seen the price of the accomodation? but its in such a cool place! well need to get over my rejection! x
JRDH
Report 16 years ago
I have no idea where im heading at the moment, going to visit st andrws a week on weds, visting bath and warwick as well...so im gonna see all them i think.. I do really like the idea of st andrews though, especially as its cheap to fly up form east midlands
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeh but then u get a bus form airport £5 then a train £14 and then another bus £3 to get to uni, it does add up but i suppose we wont b travellin home a lot if either of us go there! i got rejected from bath as well...seems only the scots want me haha! its growing on me more now, hey if u have time to look at the accomodation could email me or sumit and tell me what its like?! i didnt have time to look last time, i think im going up again on the 17th of march, but just so i have an idea id really apprieciate it! x
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeh but then u get a bus form airport £5 then a train £14 and then another bus £3 to get to uni, it does add up but i suppose we wont b travellin home a lot if either of us go there! i got rejected from bath as well...seems only the scots want me haha! its growing on me more now, hey if u have time to look at the accomodation could email me or sumit and tell me what its like?! i didnt have time to look last time, i think im going up again on the 17th of march, but just so i have an idea id really apprieciate it! x
Commiserations to you. I do know exactly how you feel (having been rejected by Cambridge)... and I really hope you don't think of yourself as a 'retard'.. ever. Hope that you get more positive feedback from your remaining unis. There will always be those that you will do well in, and enjoy.

Take care! xoxo
JRDH
Report 16 years ago
Yes will do, what did u get for AS
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (445)
59.02%
Yes- I don't like it (42)
5.57%
No- I want it (217)
28.78%
No- I don't want it (50)
6.63%

Watched Threads