This discussion is closed.
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Well? In all circumstances except presents, is it even remotely fair to receive a favour of some kind without being gracious enough to return it?
MC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Well? In all circumstances except presents, is it even remotely fair to receive a favour of some kind without being gracious enough to return it?
Yes, the chances are, one day you will need to return that favour.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
yes, for example the giving of rep, as otherwise those better off will come out of it better
_EMMA_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
how about rep? do you return it when you have been given it?
MC
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by _EMMA_)
how about rep? do you return it when you have been given it?
i never get given any. but i always try give it.
Sire
Rep:
?
*sighs* I was talking in terms of real world contexts, and this just evolves into another rep discussion. Someone give me some bad rep and sign it please. It would break the monotony of this one person who has gotten me every day for the last week without signing. And for very stupid reasons.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
*sighs* I was talking in terms of real world contexts, and this just evolves into another rep discussion. Someone give me some bad rep and sign it please. It would break the monotony of this one person who has gotten me every day for the last week without signing. And for very stupid reasons.
well i would but it might destroy the fun and it is the same principle as presents
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by JSM)
well i would but it might destroy the fun and it is the same principle as presents
Fair point, but I was thinking along the lines of someone helping you with a car when it is broken down. Do we just take it for granted, or perhaps feel inspired to take 5 minutes to help someone else in need?
caz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
u caught me :rolleyes:
_EMMA_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
i got bad rep with a compliment once :rolleyes:

anyway back to the topic then, in the real world i think that you should return it
caz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Fair point, but I was thinking along the lines of someone helping you with a car when it is broken down. Do we just take it for granted, or perhaps feel inspired to take 5 minutes to help someone else in need?
if u dont feel thankful u have nothing to return
let that be a lesson to all of u
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
yeah i would help you with a broken car, although i hope someone else would help me if i was in the same position - charity comes from the heart and selfishness. ALthough i n london i probably would walk straight by, the only palce where i would intervene is in a fight, where id probably get the **** kicked out of me. London is not the place to offer help or give it to strangers, pull out ur wallet to give em £1 for the bus and they mug you.
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by caz)
if u dont feel thankful u have nothing to return
let that be a lesson to all of u
Thats a good point, but how does one not feel thankful when say you are helped with car troubles at the side of the road? Do we just assume that it is the law for someone to help us out?
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by JSM)
yeah i would help you with a broken car, although i hope someone else would help me if i was in the same position - charity comes from the heart and selfishness. ALthough i n london i probably would walk straight by, the only palce where i would intervene is in a fight, where id probably get the **** kicked out of me. London is not the place to offer help or give it to strangers, pull out ur wallet to give em £1 for the bus and they mug you.
I guess I'm really showing my country boy heritage here, but are you serious?
caz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Thats a good point, but how does one not feel thankful when say you are helped with car troubles at the side of the road? Do we just assume that it is the law for someone to help us out?
no, u say if they didnt help u then there would be nothing u could do but remain there
they helped u, sure it was nice, but why should it change u
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Happy Australia Day, Sire
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
I guess I'm really showing my country boy heritage here, but are you serious?
yep, if im somewhere im comfortable, then yes i will help, but if its dark in brixton i will walk straight by and guess what i have never been mugged or attacked or anything, you have to be very aware of whats going on around you - i have come clsoe several times. I help people when i feel that i safely can- although in the example of a fight i have stepped in, but one day i will get my head kicked in - several people have had both the people unite on them and kill them. Conversely London is actually safer know, but peopole feel more afraid.
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by Harry Potter)
Happy Australia Day, Sire
cheers Harry Potter. It wasn't a bad one either. Nowhere near as hot as last year was.
]{ingnik
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
cheers Harry Potter. It wasn't a bad one either. Nowhere near as hot as last year was.
here in good old england, we are celebrating australia day with the promise of temp.s as low as -14 during the week! must keep my chickens warm somehow...
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Depends what kind of favour you're talking about Sire
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (244)
61.93%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.57%
No- I want it (106)
26.9%
No- I don't want it (26)
6.6%

Watched Threads