Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible to love with someone you're not "with"? watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definitely. I love my best friend, and I've known her since I was born - but I know that a relationship definitely isn't going to happen because she's as close as a sister to me. Love is an emotion so doesn't need a physical side.

ReputationRep:
    I think i might be in love with one of my best friends - we are at different uni's now, and we first met by going out with each other - and we've always kinda had a thing going for each other and been on and off for the past couple of years...but then this summer i think we both kinda put off anything happening coz we knew we were going to different unis. i still think about him loads, and speak to him quite a lot - hopefully im going to visit/ he's coming to visit me soon
    but im kinda confused as to how i feel about him - whether i just will always have a soft spot for him and coz theres no one else immediately involved in my life that i am feeling more strongly towards him or whether there is something more there ( i think there is ) but then i have no idea whether i should tell him - being at different unis its obviously not impossible it would just need hard work and commitment from both of us and im not totally sure how he feels. argh the confusion in my heeeeead.
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    If this person is a longterm friend, then you have to be carefull your not mistaking your feelings as the respect and love you would feel for a friend

ReputationRep:
    absolutely its possible, i am pretty sure i have. I morned a relationship that never happened for about a year.

Quite depressing that, good thing i am ok now

ReputationRep:
    No, he's not a particularly good friend, we just get on really really well when we're together.

Was weird, last night, I found out he really liked me as a friend and said I was an amazing person, but he didn't know if he liked me in 'that' way. I hope i'm not going to be one of those people who wants someone/something for ages, but when they get it doesn't want it anymore.

ReputationRep:
    yes.

ReputationRep:
    No, he's not a particularly good friend, we just get on really really well when we're together.
    I'm in exactly the same situation as you - this guy I get on so, so well with, even though we're not that great friends. I'm fairly sure I love him - every time I see him I feel sad that we're not together, and I spend so much of my time thinking about him. My advice - I would definitely tell him how you feel, because even if you're not sure how he feels, life's to short to go on wondering and not knowing. But yes - I think it's definitely possible to be in love with someone you're not with. I haven't told this guy how I feel yet, just becuase I haven't found the right time yet - but trust me, I will! Good luck! xxx

ReputationRep:
    Definetly definetly definetly.

ReputationRep:
    You can love someone you're not "with" but you'd have to have known them intimately and for a long time. Otherwise it's just lust.

ReputationRep:
    I think its very easy when you're young to get love and infatuation mixed up. Its more than lust as its not simply physical, but not 'love'. Love is different in a way... the reciprocation and the calm happiness you would get as opposed to the high and dizzy happiness you would get if you had a good time with someone you were infatuated with.
    Thats just my opinion on it though; everyone has different takes on the situation.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i think its possible cause ive liked this guy for about a couple of years now.. and i actually think its love.. this is what confuses me, is it lust or love? Cause we get on really well together, we have similar interests.. ARGH i do love him i think!! The bad thing is.. a couple of weeks ago, we were talking about who we liked and i ended up telling him i liked him (dnt ask how.. god i was sooo stupid, it was at 4.30am!) and he replied by saying he was really flattered but he likes someone else.. i was sooo bummed you cannot imagine.. but now he's saying all this ******** that he has the hots for me, but doesnt love me.. man im so confused! oh well, sorry to bore you guys !!

ReputationRep:
    you can deffo love somone your not with, i do right now, and it hurts so bad every day, i love him so much!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 21, 2005
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.