Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xemilyx)
    you say size 14 like its a bad thing!!
    size 18 is harldy what i would call obese! over weight yes but not grosly obese. size 26 is grosly obese.
    Is there a size 0?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ninja)
    Is there a size 0?
    Check your inbox.

ReputationRep:
    Eva Longoria is supposedly size 0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Check your inbox.
    Are you coming on to me?

--------------

(Original post by Kard)
    Eva Longoria is supposedly size 0.
    I don't know who that is.

ReputationRep:
    For the people who neg repped me and ;abelled me a 'nasty person', I'm really not.

Read all of my posts in this thread, then make up your mind. I am the victimised one! I do rock climbing, moutaineering etc and lots of physical things due to my involvement as an Adult Instructor in the Army Cadet Force, I eat reasonably well, and rarely have fast food because I know it is bad for me but I like to grill things or steam food because it is better for you than other methods of cooking.

Why do I do this, you may ask. It is because when I hear the government health warnings about the health issues that obesity it makes me think twice about wanting to eat reconstitued chicken nuggets deep fried in lard because I'd like my arteries to have no fat obstructing my blood and causing me a heart attack. i also don't wnat a huge strain put onto my heart trying to pump blood around my body with pounds and pounds of fat constricting the movement of it. I also do it because I don't want to be breathless when I walk up the stairs or walk down the street.

I do it because you only have one body, it is yours for life and you only have one life that God has blessed you with. Yet, I look after myself and 'bigger' people who have become health hazards to themselves make me feel uncomfortable because I am so slim and healthy. It actually hurts me and I find myself feeling sorry for them. But I have decided that I am going all the wrong way about this, as I am a fit and healthy person and I am not contributing any extra cost to the NHS. When 'bigger' girls say to me 'oh I wish i had a figure like that' or 'oh I wish I could fit into that', that makes me uncomfortable, what can I say back? nothing.

they aren't really complementing me at all - they are making me feel bad because they feel bad about themselves. They push the guilt onto someone else - a slim healthy person. And I think this is wrong. As human beings it is not a nice way to treat others who have had no conrtibution to their situation.

I also read about a syndrome where people can't stop eating because they never feel full due to the lack of a hormone released in the brain to tell you that you have had enough to eat, it affects only 1 in 56,000. I noticed earlier in the thread someone saying that obese people suffer from an illness. I put it to you that only 1 in 56,000 can account for that. The rest can't. I put it to you that it may be due to other factors, largely diet and lack of exercise.

I want to feel proud for my figure, not ashamed because it makes fat girls feel fat and ugly in comparison. If the truth be known, I envy them for their big boobs!

ReputationRep:
    I Hate Fat People. End Of.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: Come join the Fatzi Party.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I just got a neg rep for a post and told that a size 18 is not morbidly obese. Well that depends if you'r only 5'3" then I'd say it is.

I have tonnes of personality. I only come on here when I'm bored, in between study as a break. I prefer interacting with real people when I go out for a run or a nice brisk ramble in the hills etc.

If you think I have no personality I'd like to take you out and prove you otherwise. And furthermore if you think I have no personality I put it to you that I atleast have some balls when it comes to dishing out neg rep; I leave my name. I may 'not have a personality' but I do have the decency to let people know that I think they're out-of-order.

Oh, and I'm not 'thin' - I hate that word, it makes me sound anorexic or twiggy with jutty-out bones and ribs showing. I am slim and toned, subtle and agile thankyou very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girl_in_keele)
    For the people who neg repped me and ;abelled me a 'nasty person', I'm really not.

Read all of my posts in this thread, then make up your mind. I am the victimised one! I do rock climbing, moutaineering etc and lots of physical things due to my involvement as an Adult Instructor in the Army Cadet In your first post you say and i quote 'I really don't do a lot of exercise to stay slim' and now you do...which is it you can't have it both ways?Force, I eat reasonably well, and rarely have fast food because I know it is bad for me but I like to grill things or steam food because it is better for you than other methods of cooking.

Why do I do this, you may ask. It is because when I hear the government health warnings about the health issues that obesity it makes me think twice about wanting to eat reconstitued chicken nuggets deep fried in lard because I'd like my arteries to have no fat obstructing my blood and causing me a heart attack. i also don't wnat a huge strain put onto my heart trying to pump blood around my body with pounds and pounds of fat constricting the movement of it. I also do it because I don't want to be breathless when I walk up the stairs or walk down the street.

I do it because you only have one body, it is yours for life and you only have one life that God has blessed you with. Yet, I look after myself and 'bigger' people who have become health hazards to themselves make me feel uncomfortable because I am so slim and healthy. It actually hurts me and I find myself feeling sorry for them.Confused here....why do you feel sorry for obese people generally they dont all ask for your pity infact as hard as it is to believe for some people a LOT of people enjoy being their size and are happy with themselves But I have decided that I am going all the wrong way about this, as I am a fit and healthy person and I am not contributing any extra cost to the NHS. When 'bigger' girls say to me 'oh I wish i had a figure like that' or 'oh I wish I could fit into that', that makes me uncomfortable, what can I say back? nothing.

they aren't really complementing me at all - they are making me feel bad because they feel bad about themselves. Perhaps you are just lookiing to far into things....to me that seems just like a compliment...don't let it bother you so much. They push the guilt onto someone else - a slim healthy person. And I think this is wrong. As human beings it is not a nice way to treat others who have had no conrtibution to their situation. well ditto to all those people who judge obese people who genuinely struggle to lose weight and are obese and its not their fault....in you're own words you say 'I see huge women pile junk food on the conveyor belt then at the end is a bottle of diet coke, and i'm thinking, 'well you'll have to try harder than that, love!' i wouldnt rregard that as a particularly nice way to treat people either especially as its none of your business tbh

I also read about a syndrome where people can't stop eating because they never feel full due to the lack of a hormone released in the brain to tell you that you have had enough to eat, it affects only 1 in 56,000. I noticed earlier in the thread someone saying that obese people suffer from an illness. I put it to you that only 1 in 56,000 can account for that. The rest can't. I put it to you that it may be due to other factors, largely diet and lack of exercise. a lot of the time you are right but you are being very blind sighted in thinking that there is just one thing that makes people put on weight....medicines, thryoid problems are just two more and believe me theres plenty more

I want to feel proud for my figure, not ashamed because it makes fat girls feel fat and ugly in comparison. If the truth be known, I envy them for their big boobs! Be proud of it then and don't let other people drag you down....it happens to everyone; there is always someone looking out to make you feel unconfortable/ashamed for a multitude of reasons just rise above it
    This is from you're original post which i want to pick up on....
    Why should I let them make me feel bad for wearing nice tight jeans that show off my toned arse? I am healthy and they are unfit and lazy
    So untrue and so sweeping its unbelievable....I am overweight/obese/fat call it what you want; its something I have been since a young child and have been struggling with my weight for at least 8 years now. I have been around horses all my life too...i work outside day in and day out when I am at home. I have tried countles diets/joined countless gyms/done countless classes and my weight fluctuates. However, a) I am NOT unfit...it is actually impossible to unfit when you have 10 horses a day to muck out/move/lift bales/full buckets let alone actual riding and just the countless laps of the yard you end up doing b) I am also far from lazy.

Just for the record you can be fit whilst carryiing extra weight .

Even harsher, why do shops stock up to sizes 20-30? It seems to me as if it gives a signal to these women that it is fashionabley OK to be unhealthily fat and there is no incentive to slim down becuase their groos size is catered for.
    Umm clearly you've not looked at these clothes prroperly. There is no fashion incentive to being overweight believe me.

Whats annoyed me most about this post is the sweeping generalisations...not all fat people give you looks of distaste just like not all thin people will see fit to pass comment on my weight but it happens...get over it; i do and wont let losers who do that drag me down perhaps you should be proud of your figure and don't worry so much about what other people think.

ReputationRep:
    I think its the size 18s and over who are neg repping me lol.

It might not be morbidly obese on a tall person, but would be on a short stumpy person. Its all in perspective lol. But in what ever perspective you put it, size 18 is not a healthy size, whether it is classed as 'overweight'. 'obese' or 'morbidly obese', it still isn't a healthy size.

The bottom line is: Being overweight is not healthy, and before anyone says I'll pre-empt you and say that being underweight isn't either. But that's for another thread.

ReputationRep:
    Oh that I agree with being overweight is not healthy...but so's binge drinking/smoking/living in smog filled places...I could go on...

ReputationRep:
    Anna, I appreciate your post, and even the grilling. You're far more diplomatic than some have been, I respect that, probably more diplomatic than myself - I just get carried away and think I'm funnier than I actually am. Can I just pick up on the point you made about the 'contradiction' I appeared to have made about exercise? To me, I don't feel like I do enough exercise compared to the amounts I see people around me do, I know I do an amount of exercise but I could still do more.

The reason why I worry so much what other people thik is because more often than not its not a stranger (though I commented on a changing-room experience), its friends and family close to me, and I feel like I have to tread lightly around any mention of weight for fear of saying anything that can be taken the wrong way.

--------------

(Original post by anna_pennell)
    Oh that I agree with being overweight is not healthy...but so's binge drinking/smoking/living in smog filled places...I could go on...
    Fair point, but why not minimise the health hazards by looking after your weight, not binge drinking, not smoking and not doing drugs? Living in a city/town it is hard to escape the smog, but there are steps we can actively take to help our tickers.

ReputationRep:
    They make you feel guilty (especially girls) for being able to fit into a size 8 and get a fair amount of male attention. And There is nothing I can say back, because if I say 'yeah, I work out', or 'yeah I eat healthily' they will take it badly. Society makes you feel bad for digging a hole for yourself, when in fact the people that should have guilt is the fat people.
    It does? I don't feel bad to be honest, except sometimes people automatically think I am anorexic just because I am slim. That should be offensive to me, considering I'm not and it's purely genetics, but I just take it lightly. I mean honestly my own hallmate has said "you're eating, but I thought you were anorexic" even though I can out-eat him at a buffet. It's just irritating when they assume something when it's not true, but "meh."

I may sound harsh but I also have a part time job on checkouts at a big supermarket, and I see huge women pile junk food on the conveyor belt then at the end is a bottle of diet coke, and i'm thinking, 'well you'll have to try harder than that, love!'
    It's their business. It's also helping the economy.

Even harsher, why do shops stock up to sizes 20-30? It seems to me as if it gives a signal to these women that it is fashionabley OK to be unhealthily fat and there is no incentive to slim down becuase their groos size is catered for.
    Because they need clothes to wear; it's as simple as that.

All if this has come out of being in a changing room and the assistent was around a size 18 and I put back some trousers that were a 10 because they were too big, and she gave me the dirtiest look ever. WHY?!?! I am healthy! Why should I feel bad for this?!
    Are you sure you weren't being paranoid?

--------------

The bottom line is: Being overweight is not healthy, and before anyone says I'll pre-empt you and say that being underweight isn't either. But that's for another thread.
    No, it's not but it's not as if people choose their weight from a counter. Some people have trouble losing weight, whereas others, like me, have trouble gaining weight. It's nobody else's business but the individual's.

ReputationRep:
    I can't really add much girl_in_keele from that point of view...being overwieght does run through one side of my family particulary and it is only my sister that has escaped from being overweight at some point in her life so far.

Just wanted to say though that family you can't do much about but if its friends constantly making you feel bad about yourself...how good a set of friends are they?

I would be seriously unhappy if any of my friends couldnt accept my weight and i suspect they would be the same if i constantly went on about them being thin. Luckily I have the best set of friends now I am at uni that do accept me for being me and its never been an issue whilst at uni (it wasnt the same at school and i know that is not fun and just little comments can constantly pick at your confidence) and I hope it works both ways...i try to be really supportive and pick stuff out for them even though when they are trying beautiful tops on I am eating myself up with jealousy (but i know its my fault so why make them feel bad they can't do anything about it thats down to me) and then when i drag them into 'fat shops' they are really supportive towards me and help me pick out stuff. Nobody should make you feel bad for being you because that is what you are...and you shouldnt have to change that for anyone.

ReputationRep:
    "why do shops stock clothes with those sizes?"!

they have to wear something!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluent in Lies)
    By size 8 - is that an actual meaurement i.e. in inches. Or is it just a sort of clothing scale?

I eat tonnes of crap, my glucose levels must be permanantly sky-high as I just eat sugar all day long, but I don't really seem to get fat.
    You're young. Most people don't gain weight until their mid-30s.

Hell, my mother was quite slim until she gave birth to me at 32. She blames me for ruining her body. Tee-hee. She says I ruined her stomach.

My dad is quite slim at age 54 or some old crap like that, except his cholesterol is 275, which is higher than obese people's. It's really scary, because it used to be over 300. Yes, 300!!!! Anyway, this means weight does not 100% correlate with health.

ReputationRep:
    Erm Anna, the post you put in quoting girl in Keele with the added pink writing isn't the actual quote, you appear to have added the pink stuff :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomInPortsmouth)
    Erm Anna, the post you put in quoting girl in Keele with the added pink writing isn't the actual quote, you appear to have added the pink stuff :confused:
    That was her point...bright one.

ReputationRep:
    i know tom its my reply to each individual bit!!

ReputationRep:
    That'll teach me to RTFT lol. Apologies.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.