The Student Room Group

I need your help. City(Cass) vs. Reading(Henley)

I recently received offers of MSc courses in 3 schools including

Cass school(City) - real estate investment
henley school(Reading) - real estate (finance and investment)
UCL -international real estate and planning

as you can see above, i'm truly interested in real estate finance field,
but the course in UCL seems too far from my interest
Other two schools seem to have very different character
(reading-too close to real estate , city-too close to finance)
you know, real estate finance/investment field is sort of hybrid area and
this is the reason that I feel difficult to choose one of them.

please teach me some cons and pros of those two schools in real estate investment field including job forecasting.
Reply 1
I'm not very well informed for your degree in particular. Based on my knowledge, you should go for Cass since it seems to have good connections when it comes to job prospects
Reply 2
Form a career perspective UCL and Cass would be your best bets. Based on what you've expressed as your interests I'd for Cass.
Reply 3
thanks a lot for your advise!!
Reply 4
defo cass!
Original post by kutusov01

please teach me some cons and pros of those two schools in real estate investment field including job forecasting.

You have posted this in a finance forum and therefore the answer you will get will be from people who want to work in banks. Cass has very little presence in the real estate industry whereas this is one of Reading's traditional strengths. Both Cass and Henley have a reputation in finance but Cass's reputation is better.
Reply 6
Mate, I'm going to be in the same boat since I've applied to all three courses you've mentioned. Already been accepted into Cass for MSc REI and just waiting on UCL & Reading. I've been thinking about what I would choose if I get the three offers and I think it would be between Cass and UCL. Reading is great in the UK but balls outside, UCL is world renowned and Cass seems to be a future powerhouse in the finance area and much better facilities. My ambitions are to work in Canada (I'm actually Australian) and think the finance expertise of Cass or the name brand of UCL will get me much further than a uni no one recognises. Not too mention I want to be in the city. Cass's fees are higher but its postgrad. Beats $80,000 in the US or $24,000 here
personally id choose reading. its ranked among the top schools for careers and has great facilities. the henley business school is also well recognised all over the world.
I'm going UCL!
Reply 9
Hi mate I've just got the same problem as you do. I really wonder which one didi you choose at last, thx!
Reply 10
You'd be a fool to chose Reading over Cass or UCL.

UCL may have a better reputation overall (it excels in a variety of topics) but Cass is increasingly gaining in popularity for its Finance expertise. It also has excellent links with the City and as mentioned above, outstanding facilities. If you say that UCL's program is too far from your interest then you have your answer. :wink:
Reply 11
but isn't ICMA excellent in finance? The programme of reading is taught by faculty of Real Estate and ICMA. Is location the only reason that Cass excel Henley in real estate finance realm?
Reply 12
Hi mate I've got the same problem as you do. I really wonder which one did you choose at last, thx!
Reply 13
Original post by kutusov01

Hey, could you tell me how long it took when your second referee sent your references to UCL until you received the offer? I have applied for the same course and today my second referee filled out the document... :-)
Reply 14
Definitely UCL or CASS over Reading any day of the week...
UCL.
Reply 16
Henley is a top business school and the ICMA Centre is really renowned for finance programmes. Their undergraduate programmes were ranked 1st in the guardian university guide 2014..

The University of Reading campus is beautiful and reading is only 30min form London and really easy to get to!
Reply 17
Original post by Peach88
Henley is a top business school and the ICMA Centre is really renowned for finance programmes. Their undergraduate programmes were ranked 1st in the guardian university guide 2014..

The University of Reading campus is beautiful and reading is only 30min form London and really easy to get to!

Go for Reading
Original post by Shruti.
Go for Reading

I'm sure he's so glad to get a response after 6 years
Reply 19
****! I didn't see that. Hahahahaha

Quick Reply