Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are good universities with living costs that are around the 5500 pounds???

ReputationRep:
    5500 a year? Including accomodation I guess?

Stay away from London, pick a Russel Group uni oop North. Sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge is quite cheap, thanks to all the bursaries.

ReputationRep:
    Durham, St. Andrews and Oxbridge are all relatively cheap. Manchester is becoming expensive and London is already extortionately priced so avoid them

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield Also try Durham, York, Warwick... basically up north, but don't bother with Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, London is expensive, but it's really easy to get well paid part time work here. I plan to get by on a loan of £5000 a year, and I'm well on target in doing it. It's not cheap, but it's affordable. Moreso when you take the new loans into account.

It depends on what you consider 'good' and depends on how much you spend. I can live in the west end of London on this budget, but then I'm quite spartan in what I want. Cheap beer, cook my own food and walk instead of using public transport.

If you don't spend a lot then you can pretty much survive anywhere on that budget. This would change if your lifestyle costs a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Durham actually has one of the most expensive halls bills in the country, I think its about £3600 for a term time let! Apparantly Bradford is the only place where you can cover all your costs with your student loan!

ReputationRep:
    you can survive in my halls on 75% of your loan and full tuition fees if you don't want to buy books, beer and if you can feed yourself on 50p a day.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the £3600 for accomodation at Durham is for a year of catered accomodation - that is cheap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EamonnHF)
    I think that the £3600 for accomodation at Durham is for a year of catered accomodation - that is cheap!
    Hmm, at Sheffield i'm in catered for about £3400 (i think!)

ReputationRep:
    Well,halls are bloody expensive at Durham but most other things are pretty cheap, luckily as otherwise I'd be flat broke.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick starts at £1620 per year for 30 week let (self-catered only). The only thing that determines your living costs is your chosen lifestyle. If you cut away the unnecessary stuff, you could easily live healthily for £20 a week (+accommodation).

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff is so cheap compared to London and other places. I'm paying £2400 for accommodation. That includes christmas and easter, en suite and internet connection. Going out is really cheap too

ReputationRep:
    at clare you can get an ensuite set (living room/bedroom) in your first year for just under £2100 a year :P

ReputationRep:
    newcastle is pretty cheap

ReputationRep:
    St. Andrews is not that cheap. I'm applying there and I've researched how much I would need for my lifestyle at each of the six universities I have applied to. You don't have to spend a fortune in St. Andrews if you don't want, but you won't have many things to do if you only have £10 a week for leisure/pub.

Leeds is cheap for a large city and you can adapt your circumstances to the city.

--------------

Hull is very, very cheap. Aberdeen is not bad, but then you have to buy more clothes... Dundee is also cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KerriT)
    St. Andrews is not that cheap. I'm applying there and I've researched how much I would need for my lifestyle at each of the six universities I have applied to. You don't have to spend a fortune in St. Andrews if you don't want, but you won't have many things to do if you only have £10 a week for leisure/pub.

Leeds is cheap for a large city and you can adapt your circumstances to the city.

--------------

Hull is very, very cheap. Aberdeen is not bad, but then you have to buy more clothes... Dundee is also cheap.
    im from Hull originally..and yes it is very very cheap...and the uni is far better than parts of the city, its in a nice leafy area..and many should consider it.

i only came to Durham becuase i needed to move away from home, to learn more about life.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt choose a worse uni up North just for the sake of a few hundred quid u'll save in the short term, as if you get into somewhere like LSE or UCL it'll mean you getting a better job and earning more later as opposed to Manchester or Sheffield. However Nottingham is also fairly cheap, with catered accom starting at £3450.

ReputationRep:
    tbh, I don't think UCL is that much better than manchester. Though that would depend on your course I guess.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.