Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Assuming it is possible to agree on a fairly universal scale of attractiveness ( I talk primarily here on physical attractiveness, but I fell to a certain extent it applies to other important bonding characteristics), why is it less attractive, or 'ugly' people find it possible to form long-lasting and loving relationships.

I am not talking about your exceptional case of ugly/attractive pairings (wither through financial, social or gain otherwise) but rather the pairing of two ugly people. Surely the less attractive amongst us will hunger for the most attractive people in society. So do they unconsciously lower their standards, so as to find it possible to find a mate, or is there some other mechanism involved?

ReputationRep:
    If it's possible to agree on a universal scale of attractiveness, then anything is possible!

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, time to get my psychology A-level stuff out!
    According to the matching hypothesis (which has evidence from Walster to an extent and other psychologists such as Murstein), individuals are attracted to people on a similar level of attractiveness. This is for a number of reasons including, as you said, the fear of rejection.

ReputationRep:
    So you deny that there is any correlation between which persons, and what attributes, people find attractive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supercat)
    Ooh, time to get my psychology A-level stuff out!
    According to the matching hypothesis (which has evidence from Walster to an extent and other psychologists such as Murstein), individuals are attracted to people on a similar level of attractiveness. This is for a number of reasons including, as you said, the fear of rejection.
    If that were true, all girls would be as hot as Brad Pitt... with breasts. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hugatree)
    If that were true, all girls would be as hot as Brad Pitt... with breasts. :confused:
    What kind of messed up reasoning is that?

So you are saying:

If people are attracted to people of similar attractiveness
    Then all girls are very attractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluent in Lies)
    What kind of messed up reasoning is that?

So you are saying:

If people are attracted to people of similar attractiveness
    Then all girls are very attractive.
    Exactly. :p: Cos everyone likes the hotties best.

And, Brad Pitt was just an example.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. :p: Cos everyone likes the hotties best.

And, Brad Pitt was just an example.
    I think there may be a slight flaw in your logic.

ReputationRep:
    I think there may be a slight flaw in your logic.
    Where's that? Just following Supercat's logic.
    Obviously, I don't think it's true.

ReputationRep:
    id say i was fairly average looking, so i stay away from the hotties, my logic is they wouldnt look at me, so whats the point.

having said that, i dont even talk to fat people (sorry...) if you talk to fat chicks, they think you like them, cos most people dont talk to them.

so i go for people i still find attractive, but arent complete stunners.

i think unconcious lowering of standards is it

ReputationRep:
    Also, people tend to go for people that look good with them (i.e. similar characteristics). Ugly people would feel too insecure with attractive partners, who are blatantly not suited to them. And who wants to hear 'Whats she doing with him?' throughout their life?

ReputationRep:
    Imagining that you are ugly (which I am not suggesting you are) you would not attempt to develop a relationship with a vvery attractie girl if she, for some obscure reason, liked you?

ReputationRep:
    Probably people do that. Thats why you see very attractive girls with less than average boys. ( that obscure reason could be personality or money?, look at Donald Trump)

ReputationRep:
    handsome is as handsome does as my granny used to say

ReputationRep:
    well im as good looking as ken dodd, so i dont really get attention from any women

ReputationRep:
    It really isn't true that what you look like is all that matters. Roman Polanski was a right player, for example. You can have a knack for seduction.

ReputationRep:
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWW

ReputationRep:
    To be honest with u ppl attractiveness is nothing to do with looks...if u study every single attractive guy you'l see one thing common to all the all have self respect and confidence....Thats what attracts girls to ya....Trust me i know from experience...an incident changed my life i never used to be so confident but after that incident i never ceased to be the centre of attraction my god i remeber at MUN last year i practically had over 10 girls following me where ever i went :p: lol
    Ok if u dont buy what im saying think of it this way...a person who knowws hes attractive knows that coz the girls boost his and self esteem and ego by doing so he sticks to the habit of being attractive but a person who has never had his ego boosted by a gal would think himself unnatractive and remain so....y dont u try it out...just change ur negative attitude about ur looks and keep saying and thinking to ur self that u are attractive and do this with confidence as though u know u are attractive and only when ur confidence level has gone up ul c the changes taking place around u

But u know being tooo attractive has its downside??? U can never have a conversation with a person of the opposite sex and that person look u straight in the eye sometimes in skool i used to feel isolated cos any u talk to just wants to know if u like them or not...they dont understand the concept of friendship....How do i know???? Body language it never lies

www.forex-for-beginners.blogspot.com
    http://free.hostdepartment.com/p/panicaid/index.html

ReputationRep:
    If you're really talking about an unconscious search then attractiveness becomes a bit of a different thing. You can have someone who you'll consciously look at as ugly but who has birthing hips or... I dunno breasts that'll feed your offspring or something. Maybe a guy with a big bone structure that will be a good hunter and protect his family... something of the sort that brings on an attraction to people who aren't usually classed as attractive.

Or something.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming it is possible to agree on a fairly universal scale of attractiveness ( I talk primarily here on physical attractiveness, but I fell to a certain extent it applies to other important bonding characteristics), why is it less attractive, or 'ugly' people find it possible to form long-lasting and loving relationships.

I am not talking about your exceptional case of ugly/attractive pairings (wither through financial, social or gain otherwise) but rather the pairing of two ugly people. Surely the less attractive amongst us will hunger for the most attractive people in society. So do they unconsciously lower their standards, so as to find it possible to find a mate, or is there some other mechanism involved?
    Clap, f*cking, clap. Also, Nummer1 is wrong to induce a general rule from his own, particular experience; but that's by-the-by.

Imagining that you are ugly (which I am not suggesting you are) you would not attempt to develop a relationship with a vvery attractie girl if she, for some obscure reason, liked you?
    I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.