Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicted a CC for gcse double science, though I'll easly manage a BB.

My question is, is it worth taking A level Biology+Chemistery if you're not getting A's?

How hard is it really?

ReputationRep:
    depends if you find the subjects interesting or not? i was in exactly the same position as you are now and i'm now carrying on biology and chemistry into A2. At first you've really got to knucle down but if you're determined you'll get there. Understanding some of the principles of chem can be tough but rewarding once u get the grades. I'm predicted two B's but i'm gonna get the A's. GOod luck

ReputationRep:
    if you will "easly [sic] manage a BB" then why are you not predicted it? I found As biology easy, but I did triple science and got A (biology) A (physics) and B (Chemistry). Predicted grades are very often right, and if you are attaining C's for gcse level, then it will be difficult for you. That said, I got a B for geography GCSE (I had only ever got A's in the tests though...) and I got an A for my geography A-Level, in each of the 6 modules.

ReputationRep:
    Biology AS is just loadsa learning...it goes into much more detail than GCSE (exp. on cells!) but u don't need to be clever really to get a good grade, just committed to it. Chemistry AS is alot harder than GCSE to begin with so if u struggle with it at GCSE think carefully. Once u get ur head around it its alrite but u have to actually understand it all rather than just regurgitate facts like in Bio.

ReputationRep:
    physics As is about 3.78 billion times harder than gcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spamking)

My question is, is it worth taking A level Biology+Chemistery if you're not getting A's?

How hard is it really?
    Well, I've taken both. As people have said, biology is mostly learning based, more about memorising stuff, than having a detailed understanding of it.
    Chemistry is interesting, but hard. there are a lot of completely new concepts in it, and in my year, even people with As found it tricky.

Your school science department might easily have some 'admissions criteria', i.e. only people with a B can do it in sixth form (This was my school policy for chem and modern languages, C/D in some cases was ok for everything else)
    Best to go talk to your subject tutors about it really, ask them honestly if they think you're up to it. you might not necessarily hear the answer that you want... but its better to know now than to struggle for the whole sixth form!
    Good luck anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaisersalsek)
    I would say yes and no.

It's more difficult because you have to learn how to use formulae, understand when to use them, as well as define various things. However Biology may be more difficult because it's basically just pure reading, memorisation and more reading. Physics in fairness there isn't an awful lot of reading 'required', if you understand when to use the formulas then it's pretty simple. Biology however is much harder in the sense it's a lot of facts to learn, and there's next to no logic involved, just memorisation.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say there's no logic involved, you have to at least know when to regurgitate specific facts:P
    And there are (or at least were on my exams) questions where you had to interpret evidence and form conclusions and such like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spamking)

How hard is it really?
    Well you've got to ask yourself why you only predicted CC for science now. I'm not saying that you should only do a Science at AS Level if you got an A/A* in it at GCSE because there are people who do get As with lower GCSE grades. But if you are working your *hardest* now and still struggling to get an AA at GCSE, then maybe you should choose a different AS to do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Velouria)
    Well you've got to ask yourself why you only predicted CC for science now. I'm not saying that you should only do a Science at AS Level if you got an A/A* in it at GCSE because there are people who do get As with lower GCSE grades. But if you are working your *hardest* now and still struggling to get an AA at GCSE, then maybe you should choose a different AS to do...
    I am in year 11 as well and i am quite worried about my sciences because i am really bad at Biology. For last year, I got A* for physics and chem but a C for bio and that pulled my overall grade down to AA(low). I think I have done even more work on biology and i just don't understand why i got low marks in every single test.
    This really annoys me now because it affects two grades!

ReputationRep:
    Studying hard is the key to success!!

ReputationRep:
    You should be ok. There's a lot of learning especially in biology but get the books and follow the classwork and you should have no problems if you're good at science. It's physics which usually turns out the hardest jump.

ReputationRep:
    I believe if you really want to do it and you will study hard, then you will get the grades you want in AS bio and chem.

Because in my GCSE i got CC (doble award science) and i ended with with B in Bio and B in chemistry for my A Levels.

So work hard and never give up

=D

ReputationRep:
    If you're getting C's it'll be difficult, but if you work hard you should be able to get an A. AS Bio isn't that difficult

ReputationRep:
    i do all three sciences at a level. In my opinion physics and chemistry definately need you to have a good understanding. Its not just about recalling facts. Biology is more about learning the facts. So in theory it is easier to get a better grade. However in my college, chemistry gets the best grades and biology the least so i guess that shows that chemistry is easier to get a good grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperPink)
    However in my college, chemistry gets the best grades and biology the least so i guess that shows that chemistry is easier to get a good grade.
    That doesn't say that chemistry is easier. It tells us that either the people who take chemistry are generally smarter, but seeing as many people who take chemistry also take biology, I'd say that it tells us that people work harder at chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    If you're going on A-level grades, I think there was some kind of mess up this year. Only one person in my year got A for AS bio, compared to about 10 A's for AS chem. On the other hand, bio and chem are both very different and it could be that more people are logical than have good memories for facts. Does that make sense? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonquil1)
    If you're going on A-level grades, I think there was some kind of mess up this year. Only one person in my year got A for AS bio, compared to about 10 A's for AS chem. On the other hand, bio and chem are both very different and it could be that more people are logical than have good memories for facts. Does that make sense? :rolleyes:
    I got an A* in separate science at GCSE, but then a C at AS-level, not saying it's hard, but it is labour intensive, so you must be a hard worker!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaisersalsek)
    LOL LOL

IS IT??? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I got an A* in separate science at GCSE, but then a C at AS-level, not saying it's hard, but it is labour intensive, so you must be a hard worker!
    I know a student who got a C in GCSE Biology and then after toilsome work got an A in AS-Biology :eek:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 28, 2005

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.