Report 13 years ago
irepeating what my history techer told me :rolleyes:
dogtanian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by cosmik_debris)
What an earth are you talking about? From where did you conceive this ludicrous idea?! :rofl: Great Britain refers to the largest island of the British Isles (ie. England, Scotland, Wales) + some of our smaller off-shore territories. Brittany as we know it now, was only settled and named by fleeing Britons in the Dark Ages. Originally 'Great Britain' would have refered to what we now call the United Kingdom.
Great Britain was used to refer to the largest of the Islands (so the mainland) to differentiate it from a smaller island, known as 'Little Britain'.
Trigger's version is from what the French used to differntiate between Brittany and Britain.

So you're both right, kinda.

The Roman geographer Ptolemy called the larger island Megale Brettania (Great Britain), and the smaller island Micra Bretannia (Little Britain). Hence, originally, the term Great Britain referred to the largest island in the British Isles, just as the largest of the Canary Islands is still called Gran Canaria, and the largest of the Comoros is Grande Comore.
Nevertheless, it is sometimes supposed that Great Britain is a translation of the French term Grande Bretagne, which is used in France to distinguish Britain from Brittany (in French: Bretagne), which had been settled in late Roman times by Romano-Celtic refugees from Roman Britain, then under attack by the Anglo-Saxons. Since the English court and aristocracy was largely French-speaking for several hundred years after the Norman Conquest of 1066, the French term naturally passed into English usage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain
Trigger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yey go me!!
dogtanian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, but he was right too.

Great Britain in the sense that you described it came later, and isn't really anything to do with the name we give it, I think.

But still
Darth Excluder
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But peter andre's just a nerd... I wasn't listening to the singing actually, i was concentrating on her... never mind, that doctor who thing wasn't as good as i hoped, in fact it was a little dull. We had our children in need on thursday due to teachers training. There was nothing really worth contributing for from our school.
:eek: :tsr: :tsr:
Trigger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol well that prooves that teachers spout a load of crap sometimes
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ~nat~)
When I said before that it's a 'fantastic cause', I mean that it was great that money is being raised to at least try and help some children who are in such horrible situations - it's disgusting that people should not only go on existing in these situations, but be allowed to get into them in the first place.

But surely that's the nature of most, if not all charities: to try and aide children in need, people in need, or whatever cause it has been set up for in the first place. Children in Need is one of many many charities - but if it can air its cause so publicly and raise the money that it does, then surely that's something?

--------------

its the wine, dammit, the wine i tell you....

(The girl cannot mime, for heaven's sake!)
But why should there have to be a charity to make sure children arn't having to look after other children? Surely it is the responsibility of the government to ensure that those in need get help.
~nat~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by juueru_chou)
But why should there have to be a charity to make sure children arn't having to look after other children? Surely it is the responsibility of the government to ensure that those in need get help.
of course it's the government's responsibiliy, but the government obviously isn't doing the job properly if people continue to remain in these situations in the first place - to raise public awareness of the issues, as well as raising money to help in the meantime, is what charities like Children in Need are set up for: until the government do more to help, I don't want to sit around doing nothing

Anyway, over £17 million was raised last night - without the TV coverage, I don't think that figure would have been spent by the government spontaneously, let alone raised by the general public.
Dj Nastie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ~nat~)
08457 33 22 33

Please give generously to Children in Need, it's for a fantastic cause

Has anyone done anything to help raise money? At my school we had a sleepover day (i.e. wearing pjs and fluffy slippers for the day)...
no, that charity pisses me off, im gona stab puggsy in his one good eye so hes blind and never has to ****in' bother me again.
~nat~
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dj Nastie)
no, that charity pisses me off, im gona stab puggsy in his one good eye so hes blind and never has to ****in' bother me again.
Just saying that you don't approve of the charity and so won't donate would have got your point across but with some manners to boot.

Each to their own, I suppose
Cherry Kisses
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
children in need is great, but i think there should be a 'animals in need' aswel
Helen_w
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ~cherrykisses~)
children in need is great
:ditto: There was a cake sale at my college... And various collection boxes
Cherry Kisses
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Helen_w)
:ditto: There was a cake sale at my college... And various collection boxes
kool, my old school used to have a cake sale for children in need and loads of other stuff too. but the college im at now didnt do anything at all for it which i thought was quite disrespectful
Dj Nastie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ~cherrykisses~)
kool, my old school used to have a cake sale for children in need and loads of other stuff too. but the college im at now didnt do anything at all for it which i thought was quite disrespectful
why? who gives a *****.
~nat~
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dj Nastie)
why? who gives a *****.
what, about the charity? All the people who raised such vast sums of money last night, that's who! I'd appreciate it if you don't contribute to this thread unless you've got a constructive comment to say.

Helen_W - that's great! Do you know how much money it raised?
Helen_w
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ~nat~)

Helen_W - that's great! Do you know how much money it raised?
Nope, I think the totals would have been counted up during last lesson, when I was free - so went home
~nat~
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helen_w)
Nope, I think the totals would have been counted up during last lesson, when I was free - so went home
hehehe

darth_vader05 - that's fantastic, nice one! Did you do it on your own or was it a group initiative?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (204)
27.57%
No (536)
72.43%

Watched Threads