Southampton Uni?Any opinions? Watch

This discussion is closed.
marina183
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Southampton Uni is one of my UCAS choices allthought still haven't been to see the Uni, know anything about it?
Union? Social Life? Typical students?
Muffle
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
stop making these threads you idiot.
marina183
Rep:
?
Thanks prick, but that didn't answer any of my questions.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Look you've got a hundred threads out there already, please ask in one of those instead of making more. It stops us seeing and advising in other people's threads who also have queries.
marina183
Rep:
?
(Original post by BossLady)
Look you've got a hundred threads out there already, please ask in one of those instead of making more. It stops us seeing and advising in other people's threads who also have queries.
Again, u didn't answer my questions. This thread is completelely irrelevant to my old ones and a whole new argument. Enough said.
Petrozzi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by marina183)
Again, u didn't answer my questions. This thread is completelely irrelevant to my old ones and a whole new argument. Enough said.
http://www.unofficial-guides.com

You can see a general overview of the Universities and what both prospective and attending students think.
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Southampton Uni is one of my UCAS choices allthought still haven't been to see the Uni, know anything about it?
I don't know but i'm going on a biology trip there in march so i could tell you about it after then but that's ages away! Sorry i'm not much help am i?!
marina183
Rep:
?
(Original post by Petrozzi)
http://www.unofficial-guides.com

You can see a general overview of the Universities and what both prospective and attending students think.
Nice one, thankyou.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Again, u didn't answer my questions.
No sh*t sherlock and im not plannint too with the attitude u take.

This thread is completelely irrelevant to my old ones and a whole new argument. Enough said.
Actually you've already said what other unis u are applying to in OTHER posts so you could ask questions there. The fact is you're taking up alot of space with your threads and its not fair for other ppl who have questions.
Petrozzi
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Woah, calm down a little bit.
gemma1811
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I havent been there either, although have an offer. I'm going to an open day on the 4th Feb, so i may be able to give u some more info then
marina183
Rep:
?
No sh*t sherlock and im not plannint too with the attitude u take.

Actually you've already said what other unis u are applying to in OTHER posts so you could ask questions there. The fact is you're taking up alot of space with your threads and its not fair for other ppl who have questions.
Blimey, wat a freak.
Enough, you're beginning to bore me.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Blimey, wat a freak.
Enough, you're beginning to bore me.
Too bad, you bored me right from the word 'go' haha.

"freak" hmmm sweet little insult. Sounds like the type of thing a 5 year old would say
Petrozzi
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Come on folks, make love not war etc.
marina183
Rep:
?
Too bad, you bored me right from the word 'go' haha.

"freak" hmmm sweet little insult. Sounds like the type of thing a 5 year old would say
No really,enough.
marina183
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Union

The student union is pretty non political but where it is there is a leaning towards the tory's (however there are enough a-political generally liberal lefties to keep this balanced out...it's a few die hards (like the 3 students who ran for the tory party in the local elections) rather than anything serious). The word apathy springs to mind (no more so than at most uni's though). One interesting development recently was the disaffiliation from the NUS (http://www.no2nus.co.uk/index2.html ) this effectively saved the union over £80,000 a year in affiliation fees which now go towards clubs and societies and funding events.

Social
The student union runs a cafe, a very good shop and number of bars. The student union building also contains a new Club (it opened in Oct 2003) called the Cube which can be transformed into a cinema: http://bar.susu.org/ The old union bar is in line for a refit but this is likely to happen during one of the summer holidays. Events wise things have been pretty lame in the past (mainly due to lack of space) but with the new developments opened last yr the union social side of things is really picking up http://events.susu.org/
Another upcoming development is the new sports centre (due to open any day - the sports hall is already in use at the moment for exams) which includes a shiney new swimming pool (http://www.sportrec.soton.ac.uk/facilities.html ).
Southampton itself has a very good pub scene (with some excellent live music pubs) and a fairly good club scene - although things do tend go from cheesey to goth with not an awful lot in between. Shops wise the new West Quay centre is excellent (although the acoustics are awful...not something most people worry about but it annoys the hell out of me) and there's also the high street for other chain stores and east street and the bargate centre containing lots of small independant places. Food wise it's great...tonnes of choice and I've yet to get a takeaway or eat out anywhere bad.

Students
Our typical student is 18, from england and white...but that's just the majority population, there is a fair amount of mature students (although these cluster in certain subjects (sociology has tonnes, law has almost none)) and we've got an ever increasing international population (mainly from china and india but we've got students from 173 countries on undergraduate courses alone). Allthough we're not as ethnically diverse as some of the London Unis we have a higher proportion of ethnic minority students than the UK population average at 12%.
Brilliant. That helped alot
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1113)
78.88%
Leave (298)
21.12%

Watched Threads