This discussion is closed.
JrW
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi,

I am about to choose my A-Levels and intend to study Law at Oxbridge. However, i am having a little bit of trouble choosing the right A-Levels. I am definitely doing Maths, French, History and then cannot choose between German/Chemistry and Physics.

Any advice would be appreciated
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jamierwilliams)
Hi,

I am about to choose my A-Levels and intend to study Law at Oxbridge. However, i am having a little bit of trouble choosing the right A-Levels. I am definitely doing Maths, French, History and then cannot choose between German/Chemistry and Physics.

If you're certain that you want to study law then either of these subjects would be appropriate.

German would mean two languages which could be difficult.

Physics or chemistry would go well with maths and give you two arts and two science subjects which are a good mix and wouldn't limit further choices should you decide not to study law.

Personally i think you should choose chemistry as you already have one language subject and physics is quite similar to maths.
Soumak
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jamierwilliams)
Hi,

Hi,

Yah for law the first 3 subjects u mentioned seem ideal. When it comes to chosin yuour 4th subject I would say go for a science ie: Chemistry or Physics. Although German is a good 'traditional' subject the fact that u take a sceince will show universities that you have a wider skill base which in turn will make you stand out from the rest of the candidates. But remember this is just my opinion - just go for a good traditional subject which u feel u can do well in. Good Luck!!

Bye
Me2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i'm planning on taking Geography, Economics, English Lit and Lang, and Biology for A-level as well as French to AS, as i also want to do law.

Here's why:
Geography and economics are both social sciences
English Lit and Lang is an essay subject (as is geo in a way, especially in yr13)
French is a language
Biology a science

giving an overall broad base, which is what most law people at unis look for, but they must all be academic.

your subjects:

maths - difficult subject, shows intellect and a logic mind
history - good for law, and is an essay
french - language which is good

i'd now go for a science to make a broader base, especially with chemistry, but it is apparently more difficult than physics, either would do, which ever you prefer or are best at, as you will need at least AAB
JrW
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Me2)
i'm planning on taking Geography, Economics, English Lit and Lang, and Biology for A-level as well as French to AS, as i also want to do law.

Here's why:
Geography and economics are both social sciences
English Lit and Lang is an essay subject (as is geo in a way, especially in yr13)
French is a language
Biology a science

giving an overall broad base, which is what most law people at unis look for, but they must all be academic.

your subjects:

maths - difficult subject, shows intellect and a logic mind
history - good for law, and is an essay
french - language which is good

i'd now go for a science to make a broader base, especially with chemistry, but it is apparently more difficult than physics, either would do, which ever you prefer or are best at, as you will need at least AAB
thanks guys...i think that i will do:

Maths
French
History
Chemistry

.....god knows what my school are going to say about choosing such a wide variety of subjects!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.71%
No (264)
33.29%

Watched Threads