BA Geography - a dead end degree? Watch

This discussion is closed.
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
When i tell people that this is what i intend to study at university (entry 2005) they just say "But why?" The answer is because i love it and wouldn't want to study something just so i get a 'top job' out of it. However, people then tell me that there are no careers except teaching for a geography graduate. Teaching is actually my first choice career plan but what happens if i decide not to teach? What other career options are there related to geography?
emzie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
U CAN GO INTO JUS ABOUT NETHING FROM BA GEOG! i'm doing a BA geog starting this sept then i'm doing a law conversion, then i'm going for a corporate law job in the city! i'm doing geograpghy 1st coz i love it! (altough now regretting not applying for law straight away coz its guna take another year to qualify.) geog is DEF a worthwhile degree, esp from a top uni
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Geography is the most employable non-vocational degree.
undiscovered
Rep:
?
(Original post by emzie)
U CAN GO INTO JUS ABOUT NETHING FROM BA GEOG! i'm doing a BA geog starting this sept then i'm doing a law conversion, then i'm going for a corporate law job in the city! i'm doing geograpghy 1st coz i love it! (altough now regretting not applying for law straight away coz its guna take another year to qualify.) geog is DEF a worthwhile degree, esp from a top uni
I'm planning on Durham. Where are you going??
undiscovered
Rep:
?
(Original post by jammyd)
Geography is the most employable non-vocational degree.
Ooh really? That's good then
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I love geography too but I am more into the human side of it like settlement that kind of thing. Sometimes I wish I had studied geography at degree level but I never did Geography A level so...
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
I'm planning on Durham. Where are you going??
i'm going to oxford if i get the grades (aab.) i have an offer from durham but they moved me to st marys so didnt consider them after that! my offer from them was aab.
Me2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
geography is my second option if i can't/don't want to do law, it usually sets you up for a good job in an office (as almost all academic degrees do), so it definately isn't a dead end degree
undiscovered
Rep:
?
(Original post by emzie)
i'm going to oxford if i get the grades (aab.) i have an offer from durham but they moved me to st marys so didnt consider them after that! my offer from them was aab.
Cool, hope you get the grades for Oxford. Durham's well respected for geography isn't it? I'm pretty sure my GCSE geography teacher said she went there but she's on maternity leave until at least April or May i think. I wouldn't want to live in St Marys either!
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah I loved a bit of 'Geo', and on trivial pursuit I aim for the Geography questions. A bloke I know just graduated from LSE actually.
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
siany, yeh in the times tables it was rank numb 1. if applying to hatfield or university college makre sure your form gets send off by about 5th sept. as by the time i applied - early oct, all their places had allready been filled GRRR.
undiscovered
Rep:
?
(Original post by emzie)
siany, yeh in the times tables it was rank numb 1. if applying to hatfield or university college makre sure your form gets send off by about 5th sept. as by the time i applied - early oct, all their places had allready been filled GRRR.
I was thinking of applying to Collingwood
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ahh Geography, otherwise known as "Colouring In". Mind you, I can't talk, I'm taking it for AS Level!
undiscovered
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tek)
Ahh Geography, otherwise known as "Colouring In". Mind you, I can't talk, I'm taking it for AS Level!
Haha yeah that's what my geog teacher said lol. I'm doing AS too. WJEC = exam board.
edufly
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
When i tell people that this is what i intend to study at university (entry 2005) they just say "But why?" The answer is because i love it and wouldn't want to study something just so i get a 'top job' out of it. However, people then tell me that there are no careers except teaching for a geography graduate. Teaching is actually my first choice career plan but what happens if i decide not to teach? What other career options are there related to geography?

Well I thought BA geography would be more attractive along with another subject so I chose Geography and Economics.
However, BA geography is a very prosperous degree course - there are many doors opened up career wise. I know many geographers go into accountancy
Geogger
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
Well I thought BA geography would be more attractive along with another subject so I chose Geography and Economics.
However, BA geography is a very prosperous degree course - there are many doors opened up career wise. I know many geographers go into accountancy
Agree - geographers are well respected by lots of employers because they are numerate, literate and have a synoptic approach to problems ie they bring in ideas from different areas to help explain or sort out a problem. Good geographers are often lateral thinkers!
edufly
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Geogger)
Agree - geographers are well respected by lots of employers because they are numerate, literate and have a synoptic approach to problems ie they bring in ideas from different areas to help explain or sort out a problem. Good geographers are often lateral thinkers!
Yes I agree, though I have to admit that the human geography aspect of alevel geog is a complete and utter ease!

I suppose thats where it gets its 'colouring in' title.
Geogger
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
What other career options are there related to geography?
Well from my year, we had several who went on to do Masters and PhDs, and are now lecturers and profs (1 in Berkeley Ca!!). If academia is not your scene then others went into Civil service, tax office, building societies etc as managers. One went into Marks and Spencers advising them on location of new stores. Two went into their own business, one worked with a tour company and ended up in their Exotic Locations office. Several went into teaching, but only a few have stayed and at least one is now a landscape gardener in Germany. Another one works for the Charities commission after being an actor for about 10 years, another is high up in the Greater london Arts Council.... so really the value of the degree per se is up to you. It can be purely a degree in Geography which you then use directly, or its an illustration that you can cope well with Tertiary level studies in a "traditional" subject so employers know that you will be easily trainable!
PS Its also a really enjoyable way to spend 3 years!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
Yes I agree, though I have to admit that the human geography aspect of alevel geog is a complete and utter ease!

I suppose thats where it gets its 'colouring in' title.
Lol thats why human geography was always my favourite bit!!! I a lot of it was more history as well though than just geography at least at GCSE level.

I'm just really into modern settlement for some reason. Its somthing I kept asking when I was traveling through western europe I wonder why these people settled here.
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
Lol, don't worry what your friends say about doing geography. My friends always call me a farmer/weatherman for a joke, though its all light-hearted really. If you really enjoy geography then go on and study it, there are many different fields which you can go into which aren't associated with geography. Btw good luck making your decision.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (153)
60.96%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.38%
No- I want it (70)
27.89%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.77%

Watched Threads