Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    u have a trend a YEAR before it becomes "fashionable" then suddenly everyone is trying to wear it

i bought berets this time last year cause i thought it would be cute...wore them for a while

now its cold again and ill feel so bog standard if i put one on!

ReputationRep:
    well the clothes are made on a big scale and are there for other to people to wear them so.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComebackQueen)
    u have a trend a YEAR before it becomes "fashionable" then suddenly everyone is trying to wear it

i bought berets this time last year cause i thought it would be cute...wore them for a while

Wow; talk about drama. Third-world countries have got nothing on you.

ReputationRep:
    ahahahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    The French were wearing berets cus they thought it was cute before you were even born so stop crying about it.

ReputationRep:

I saw "trendy" kids wearing berets years and years ago. You'd see them in rnb and hiphop videos 3 or 4 years ago so it was "fashionable" ages ago.

It rarely suits girls anyway.

There's no such thing as "fashionable" or "unfashionable" in my opinion anyway. Berets will always be "fashionable" and "unfashionable" at the same time depending on who you listen to, which social class they belong to, how old they are, what music they listen to, where they live... That's why fashion should never be taken too seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Boho skirts! (I hate the word boho too :mad: )
    I got this gorgeous tyedye purple tiered one in a boutique a couple of years ago, and then got two gorgeous fancy blue ones in East last year. Expensive, good quality (the ones from East are posh and lined) and now everybody is wearing cheap knockoffs :mad:
    A couple of years ago, I would swear everyone at school suddenly got funky dark trenchcoats a while after I did.

ReputationRep:
    This is more commonly referred to as 'unfashionable'.

ReputationRep:
    I had a collection of Burger Bear bags from a tiny alternative shop, and three months afterwards Topshop started stocking them. Also, a really cute butterfly-sequin top which Miss Selfridge stocked 4 months after I bought it from the shop where I work (small, family-run business).

Its annoying, because then everyone is wandering around wearing this thing which you found somewhere really out of the way and bought because you really loved it, it was original, with no consideration for what might be fashionable. And then everyone is wearing it. But that's the world of retail.

Solution: wear high street clothes, but in such a way that it looks original anyway. No angst, no effort, all style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mata)
    I had a collection of Burger Bear bags from a tiny alternative shop, and three months afterwards Topshop started stocking them. Also, a really cute butterfly-sequin top which Miss Selfridge stocked 4 months after I bought it from the shop where I work (small, family-run business).

Its annoying, because then everyone is wandering around wearing this thing which you found somewhere really out of the way and bought because you really loved it, it was original, with no consideration for what might be fashionable. And then everyone is wearing it. But that's the world of retail.

Solution: wear high street clothes, but in such a way that it looks original anyway. No angst, no effort, all style.
    i think you're one of the only ones who got my exact point

its kind of getting on my nerves that what fills most high street shops was "first" seen on either kate moss or sienna miller

ReputationRep:
    well they're not gonna say "first seen on some random girl in the street" are they...

ReputationRep:
    i think you're one of the only ones who got my exact point

its kind of getting on my nerves that what fills most high street shops was "first" seen on either kate moss or sienna miller
    Exactly; and then everyone thinks that you're following a certain fashion, or trying to 'be' Sienna Miller and cohort, when you really truly aren't.

I've pretty much given up trying to find truly original things. Now I wear things that other people might buy, but in my own way. Actually, by following 'fashion' I end up looking totally different from all the other people at my school - a satin pencil skirt, teal-striped top and 70's waspie belt with platform heels is quite an unusual look for a 17 year old, and I end up looking original, even though all the items are 'in', and 1/2 of the outfit is straight from Topshop.

Edit: the Vogue website has a pretty cool section that pays tribute to women seen out and about in London, wearing good clothes. Its just nice to see the 'random girl on the street' recognised for looking good in her own right.

ReputationRep:
    platforms to school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    platforms to school?
    Yes.

Platforms. To. School.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    whatever.

ReputationRep:
    whatever.
    I don't see your problem with me wearing platforms to school. So what if nobody else wears them. Pfft to them.

ReputationRep:
    just cos...its school not a fashion parade...i dont care if everyone wore them or just one person i'd still think they were a noob. IMHO.

ReputationRep:
    just cos...its school not a fashion parade...i dont care if everyone wore them or just one person i'd still think they were a noob. IMHO.
    Well, my school pretty much is a fashion parade, to be honest. Ridiculous, but true. But I wear them because they look good on me, look good with the clothes that I wear and make me feel confident.

I just don't subscribe to people's ideas about what you should wear in certain situations. There's nothing wrong with wearing what you feel like wearing on any given day, rather than what your peers judge that you should be wearing.

Anyway, I'm not about to shell out for pretty shoes and then only wear them a few times. I'm thrifty like that.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe fair does.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, i've gone sixties for the past 2 years (black white jumper dress, berret n boots) and suddenly it got a new name "Beatnik" and become poplular...

and now i look like a member of the "burglar crew"

v annoying

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.