Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why not set a trend?! Like wear something totally wacky but nice or 'cool' one day, and boast about it then everyone will know YOU as the 'first' to do it!

ReputationRep:
    A few years ago, I started wearing cardigans and ties... a month later there were a couple kids at my school/where I live, doing the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    well they're not gonna say "first seen on some random girl in the street" are they...
    Ha ha, damn that made laugh!

ReputationRep:
    to be fair shut up and stop complaining....fashions change- that's their nature! a lot of things you love wearing one year, you will hate the next. find a new style of hat if you think you're so original!

ReputationRep:
    LOL I love how some people are convinced they "found" a trend or that they created it.

It's pretty obvious that they're all just following trends in the same typical "fashion victim" way.

If you are to accept the existence of fashion, you have to accept that people copy people consciously or unconciously. Even people trying to dress alternatively end up looking the same.

You have to be pretty self-involved to be convinced you were the first person to wear something and thus set a trend. You're copying other people and as much fashion victims as anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    You have to be pretty self-involved to be convinced you were the first person to wear something and thus set a trend. You're copying other people and as much fashion victims as anyone else.
    I don't think that anyone is convinced that they were the first person to wear something.

Its just very annoying when you buy something or wear something slightly different, which nobody else cares about, and then suddenly everyone is wearing it. That's all.

Which is why I keep saying: better to buy the generic fashion, and then make it look good and original on you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mata)
    I don't think that anyone is convinced that they were the first person to wear something.

Its just very annoying when you buy something or wear something slightly different, which nobody else cares about, and then suddenly everyone is wearing it. That's all.

Which is why I keep saying: better to buy the generic fashion, and then make it look good and original on you.
    I guess that's wise. Gives you less of a headache.

I know what you mean by wearing certain clothes and then being pissed off because everyone's wearing it and you don't want to feel like any average person. I totally understand that. It's the same with music, isn't it?

There have to be several people wearing the same clothes as you for it to be seen as trendy by anyone though. So in a way, we can't get too angry when people start wearing the same clothes because without those people, noone would care about what we wear, because noone would think it's fashionable (apart from ourselves in our own little world).

Without everyone ending up buying the same stuff, fashion wouldn't exist really. You need other people's recognition for clothes to be seen as trendy but people will only recognise your clothes as being fashionable if there are other people wearing the same clothes. After a while, everyone is on the bandwagon but it's a bit silly to get angry about how everyone is on the bandwagon because the earlier people to adopt the fashion jumped on the bandwagon like everyone else. We can curse the bandwagon but without the bandwagon, there would be no fashion.

Being the first on the bandwagon doesn't bring you much: the earlier you get on the bandwagon, the less people there will be recognising the fashion. At the end of the day, it's only in your head that you're so trendy for being among the first.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care about being trendy. If anything I aim to follow fashion as little as possible. Which is why it's annoying when I wear something original, and then it suddenly comes into fashion because it looks like I'm following fashion when I'm not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peppermint_patt)
    to be honest i'm glad the trends change - as soon as it changes all the last seasons stuff becomes cheaper, and it also becomes original - youre the only person wearing it therefore you're retro! :P i love it!
    LOL retro - never thought of it like that!

ReputationRep:
    i normally just wear whateva i like!!!

and i don;t really follow everyone else unless i like it!!

ReputationRep:
    I reckon nothing looks worse than someone who has really fashionable clothes on but they just dont look right; much better to have your own look. I wouldnt go as far as describing my look as good but it aint bad; its just me!! I just wear what i feel comfortable in; no point in wearing super mini skirt of you gona spend the whole night pulling it down; have confidence in yourself or you just look daft!! *rant over*

ReputationRep:
    See, i really love the black and white strip jumper dresses, tights and boots, or over jeans with boots. i tried one today, thinking i would just have a laugh at how fat it would make me look, but it didnt! yay! but will i just look like a fashion victim? hmmm.

ReputationRep:
    I wear what i like, but i do go through phases of "OMG i'm gonna go sixties/classic/japanese school girl" this season...

and i just hate when what i choose (not invents) collides with current fashion trends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Traum)
    I wear what i like, but i do go through phases of "OMG i'm gonna go sixties/classic/japanese school girl" this season...

and i just hate when what i choose (not invents) collides with current fashion trends
    It annoys me when all the chavs start wearing them. i love catwalk fashion though, but sadly dont have enough money to buy it, so spend ages looking round the high street for similar things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ariel4)
    It annoys me when all the chavs start wearing them. i love catwalk fashion though, but sadly dont have enough money to buy it, so spend ages looking round the high street for similar things.
    Catwalk fashion is absolutely beautiful. What annoys me is seeing rich women who obviously spend so much on designer clothes, and yet manage to make themselves look horrible. Money is wasted on people like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mata)
    Catwalk fashion is absolutely beautiful. What annoys me is seeing rich women who obviously spend so much on designer clothes, and yet manage to make themselves look horrible. Money is wasted on people like that.
    exactly

e.g daniella westbrook

i dont understand why some people especially celebs and rich people do not know that sometimes simplicity is the key ala donatella versace she runs a fashion house and always looks a messs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComebackQueen)
    exactly

e.g daniella westbrook

i dont understand why some people especially celebs and rich people do not know that sometimes simplicity is the key ala donatella versace she runs a fashion house and always looks a messs!
    Shes a designer though, a lot of designers and artistic types tend to look a little crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ariel4)
    Shes a designer though, a lot of designers and artistic types tend to look a little crazy.
    true but she doesn't look crazy just trashy as alot of the stuff is way too revealing for anyone let alone someone 50+ and her permatan doesnt help matters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComebackQueen)
    true but she doesn't look crazy just trashy as alot of the stuff is way too revealing for anyone let alone someone 50+ and her permatan doesnt help matters
    I know, but the clothes she designs are so lovely i have to let her off!

ReputationRep:
    ive got into my winter vibe of skirts and boots atm, its like i said in the emo thread i was doing the emo thing before it was cool but it was coming in again i was growing up and trying to look more sophisticated and mature. Fashion changes for you personally when you get older anyway so i wouldnt fret

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.