The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Phalanx
I don't get it, I can't cry no matter how upsetting the situation is, I couldn't cry when my parents split up, I couldn't cry when my grandpa died and whenever something unhappy happens which most would cry about, I can't cry. It hurts on the inside yet I just can't cry.

I'm male and 15 years old so is this even normal?

Can any of you still cry?

I have the same problem....last time I cried was when I was 13, that was 6 years ago...when I was in hospital, and saw a kid there with a terminal illness a day before an operation laughing and having fun...there was a 17y/o boy next to him, absolutly fine apart from he needed a pin taking out of his toe crying like a baby...think thats the cause of my unability to cry.

And since I was 13, I have lost my grandmother, parents have split up, friend committed suicide...just can't cry.

I feel really, really bad about it...it makes me think that I'm a heartless b*****d.
Reply 21
yeah well i wish I was you:biggrin:crying is for weak people:redface:
Phalanx
I dont get it though, I used to be really sensitive in year 7 and 8 due to bullying which made me leave that school. I use to cry nearly every night then. I dunno, but I just seem to lack much feeling even if it is upsetting :frown:[/QUO

Mayb that is why u stop crying as much, unconsciously trying not to show your emotion and errrrr tougher than you use to be :confused:
I THINK that is the reason
when my grandad died, i couldnt cry, and when other family members died, i couldnt, but if i get stressed or a pet died, i can, its weird,
i think it just depends on you. i find theres no rhyme or reason to it, but thats just me
Reply 24
I had this problem when my Nana died. We were (my immediate family) all incredibly close to her, and she practically lived with us (had a bedroom at our house and everything). When she died we were all devastated, and I was especially close to her. I couldn't cry for a whole week from her death, but at the funeral it all came out.

I don't find it easy to cry, and the last time I remember crying was after an A level exam in June.

I think when crappy things have happened to your during your life, it's easier to cry and for people to make you cry. My mum, for example, lost 2 of her sisters in a car accident at Christmas (17 years this year) and whenever they get mentioned in conversation my mums eyes will fill up etc.
Reply 25
I don't think crying shows how much you care about something. I didn't cry when my uncle died, or at his funeral, but I started crying a few weeks ago because my computer wouldnt work! (But that was due to frustration rather than sadness).
Reply 26
Phalanx
I don't get it, I can't cry no matter how upsetting the situation is, I couldn't cry when my parents split up, I couldn't cry when my grandpa died and whenever something unhappy happens which most would cry about, I can't cry. It hurts on the inside yet I just can't cry.

Same thing here. I can't even cry when people I care about die. I have emotional problems...or something I think its called pent up emotion, from not having resolved a or a few issues...But I just accept it.

Also, me being the logical and intelligent stud of a man that I am, I don't see how crying solves or helps anything...
Reply 27
horrorboy
Yeah you can 'hurt inside' without feeling sorry for yourself smartboy..

Then you can cry without 'feeling sorry for yourself', too.

So much for that hypothesis.
Phalanx

i'm not a guy but i know guys n it's ok that u don't cry.it just means u're strong.something will eventually get to u n u will n when that happens don't think u're wierd either.
Reply 29
shylock30012001
i'm not a guy but i know guys n it's ok that u don't cry.it just means u're strong.

I'd disagree with that and i wouldn't say it especially means you're strong. I've not cried for years and been through some tough stuff, then it all got too much and just felt like crying but couldn't for various reasons.
Reply 30
Profesh
Then you can cry without 'feeling sorry for yourself', too.

So much for that hypothesis.

He said he's not crying though, it wasn't meant to be a hypothesis lol he wanted reasons and I suggested one..thats all.
Reply 31
£777£
I have the same problem....last time I cried was when I was 13, that was 6 years ago...when I was in hospital, and saw a kid there with a terminal illness a day before an operation laughing and having fun...there was a 17y/o boy next to him, absolutly fine apart from he needed a pin taking out of his toe crying like a baby...think thats the cause of my unability to cry.

And since I was 13, I have lost my grandmother, parents have split up, friend committed suicide...just can't cry.

I feel really, really bad about it...it makes me think that I'm a heartless b*****d.

No point feeling bad everyone deals with things in different ways if anything people might think you are strong :smile:
I didnt use to cry at all, but i've started to think about how much things mean to me now. I only cry if someone causes it, like for example a girl I was seeing a while back that i know really well was crying because i'd slept with someone she hated and I felt like such a c*nt that I ended up crying too, realising how much she meant to me.
There is no weakness in crying. There was a quote (sorry that i cannot quite remember who at this moment) that said,'Tears fall when our bodies cannot hold the intensity of emotion any longer'....or something to that effect.
You are just as strong and brave if you cry, as if you do not.
Did you ever cry in front of the individuals who bullied you? Maybe you stopped, as a way to stop the bulling? Think back to when you first noticed that it was difficult to cry and maybe that will help you understand what triggered it.
It is alright if you cannot cry; as you can see from the replys; many do not. Just make sure that you have another (non harmful) way to act as an outlet for your emotions.

Take Care :smile:
Reply 34
Winters Kiss
There is no weakness in crying. There was a quote (sorry that i cannot quite remember who at this moment) that said,'Tears fall when our bodies cannot hold the intensity of emotion any longer'....or something to that effect.
You are just as strong and brave if you cry, as if you do not.
Did you ever cry in front of the individuals who bullied you? Maybe you stopped, as a way to stop the bulling? Think back to when you first noticed that it was difficult to cry and maybe that will help you understand what triggered it.
It is alright if you cannot cry; as you can see from the replys; many do not. Just make sure that you have another (non harmful) way to act as an outlet for your emotions.

Take Care :smile:

For most practical purposes you are, in fact, stronger and braver than those who suppress this tendency for the sake of some ephemeral and utterly meaningless social stigma; although I am perfectly aware that such an incapacity might similarly be brought about by other, involuntary means. However, similarly effective, benign outlets are difficult to find: suffice it to say, the ability to cry exists for a reason.
Reply 35
I never cry when I'm expected to (when my nan died, when I left school...etc) - but do for many other reasons. I hate crying in public as well - though crying overall releases endorphins that will help to make you feel better (really.)
Doesn't help, but hey.
Reply 36
i cry rarely, not out with tears rolling down my face and everything. it only happens when somebody does something to me that really hurt deep down inside. i did sort of cry onwednesday when an idiot came into my room at uni and broke my model aircraft that i saved up to buy. i really liked it so much then to come into my room and seen that someone had a go at it out of jealously, hate or whatever. that pained me so much.
Reply 37
andyj72
i did sort of cry onwednesday when an idiot came into my room at uni and broke my model aircraft that i saved up to buy. i really liked it so much then to come into my room and seen that someone had a go at it out of jealously, hate or whatever. that pained me so much.

I'm sorry about that. What a scumbag.

When my parents split up this year I couldnt just sit and cry about it. I think its because I knew it was coming. I was used to the suffering. Things that happen suddenly could be more effective to move me. In the 8 months (from Dec) of them being apart and together again I only cried twice. First time when I saw where my dad was living with my parents in January. The second time was in July when I cried non stop for 15 minutes infront of 10-15 other Christians
G4ry
I'd disagree with that and i wouldn't say it especially means you're strong. I've not cried for years and been through some tough stuff, then it all got too much and just felt like crying but couldn't for various reasons.

i just mean he's tough mentally.it's ok for boys to cry n doesn't mean they're weak either.
Reply 39
shylock30012001
i just mean he's tough mentally.it's ok for boys to cry n doesn't mean they're weak either.

I'd still disagree that crying is a sign of mental weakness. But that's just my take on the matter.

Latest

Trending

Trending